Sister branch reserves to Active duty WO, has anyone done it?

Spoke with a recruiter about WOFT, and he said that since I am still in the navy reserves, I would have to wait until I am completely seperated before I could even start the application process. Essentially that the warrant officer program was different than just trying to switch branches, and that there was no way to release me from one contract if accepted for flight training. That if I was on active duty, I could use a DD368 and come over, but not from the reserves

He did say however that if I were to come over on the enlisted side (Which is my backup plan if the chance to fly falls through) That they could immediately begin that process and wouldnt have to wait.

If this is in fact the case, im faced with the choice of would it be better to enlist, knock out BCT and then try to apply from the inside in order to prevent waiting around for a year. Im 30 now, so time is running out.

Does anyone know the success rates of people applying in the army vs from the civilian board? Or has anyone been let out of a sister service specifically for the warrant officer flight program. I know plenty of folks who have made the jump from enlisted-to enlisted side.

I think my biggest fear is waiting around, being completely separated from the navy, not being selected, and then unable to get back in the army or navy. (based on current budget uncertainty, age or whatever) I'd really like to go from one straight to the other with the only time spent as a civilian would be taking the oath again.

Any advice is appreciated. Ive just gone through PRK, so I have a little time to wait anyways, but id like to have a plan once that day arrives.

• Like 1

I will definately look into it. I initially wanted to go active to help bump my retirement up and have a shot at living overseas since im nearly halfway to my 20 at this point, but flying is the ultimate goal so i've got some new research ahead of me.

Thanks

Do not enlist in the army until you have tried everything else. I went from guard to active duty as part of my process with the recruiter and applying for woft. I had a year left on my contract and all it took was a letter from my CO and a 368. I think that was the form. The recruiter and I paid a little visit to the state hq and it was a done deal. The recruiter had done it several times. I don't remember if it was dependant on my selection or if selection had already happened. Point is: talk with some other recruiters. Several if possible.

I see your location is listed in texas, where was your recruiter? From everything Ive read it should just be a DD368 and onto the next step. The recruiter i went to seems to believe that wont work for WOFT. The DD368 is easy to get,current command is completely behind me trying to do this. I think this may just be a case of my situation being just different enough that the recruiter has not seen it yet, but he has put multiple people into WOFT, just not from a reserve unit. If I could contact another recruiter in the same region and get them to communicate that yes in fact its possible, just a few more hurdles, or use that recruiter completely I'd still end up where I want to be. Thanks

I had a simar situation where I'm prior service and was still in the IRR when I went into the recruiter and they said they couldn't touch me until I was conditionally released. Took forever to find the right people but ended up getting the conditional release from the IRR and everything else was the normal civilian packet process.

Spoke with a recruiter about WOFT, and he said that since I am still in the navy reserves, I would have to wait until I am completely seperated before I could even start the application process. Essentially that the warrant officer program was different than just trying to switch branches, and that there was no way to release me from one contract if accepted for flight training. That if I was on active duty, I could use a DD368 and come over, but not from the reserves

He did say however that if I were to come over on the enlisted side (Which is my backup plan if the chance to fly falls through) That they could immediately begin that process and wouldnt have to wait.

If this is in fact the case, im faced with the choice of would it be better to enlist, knock out BCT and then try to apply from the inside in order to prevent waiting around for a year. Im 30 now, so time is running out.

Does anyone know the success rates of people applying in the army vs from the civilian board? Or has anyone been let out of a sister service specifically for the warrant officer flight program. I know plenty of folks who have made the jump from enlisted-to enlisted side.

I think my biggest fear is waiting around, being completely separated from the navy, not being selected, and then unable to get back in the army or navy. (based on current budget uncertainty, age or whatever) I'd really like to go from one straight to the other with the only time spent as a civilian would be taking the oath again.

Any advice is appreciated. Ive just gone through PRK, so I have a little time to wait anyways, but id like to have a plan once that day arrives.

I am doing just that, from Marine Reserves to WOFT. Just had my Bn. Board today. That recruiter is wrong. You need to get an approved conditional release from the first flag officer in your chain and then the process can start. They will not touch you until that point. That being said, be prepared for this to take a good long while. If you need any other info, shoot me a PM.

• Like 1