Instruction Question

tsimmns

As I am looking to get started with some instruction and beginning my helicopter experience soon, I'm curious to know if most flight schools that are full time schools give lessons just on the side, like say just during the weekends?

Also, even though I am fairly new I'm curious to know more about Turbine Time. I have read in some post that Turbine time is important to have, but how important is it to pay for it if you can find a job at the 1000hr total time that might give you a job in a Turbine. I know that I know little right now about the process, but I am still learning and hoping to learn as much as I can.

I also want to say that you to everyone that has replied to my post int he past and for making this forumn a great place to learn about the rotary world.

• Like 2

I've been to several schools and have never had a problem just training on the weekends, or whatever days my schedule allows.

The only people who pay for turbine hours are the ones using government funds for training. Everyone else gets it for free after being hired by someone like Temsco in Alaska, or Papillon in the Grand Canyon, after reaching 1000 hours in pistons.

Don't pay for turbine time, because guess what? At the end of the day it is still a "HELICOPTER" just like its piston powered cousins. If you meet the hour requirements to get hired by an operator who flies turbine machines, then your so called "transition" will be quick and painless on someone else's dime. Just my .02 worth