Fixed wing rumors

So.. heard a rumor and it may be just that, a rumor. However, I heard that the Army will be getting some F-18's for CAS options.. any basis to these rumors?

I heard the same thing about A-10s years ago. Nothing ever came of that.

Ya, the A-10 thing is the biggest mystery of military aviation. Why does the Air Force, whose primary role is air domination and long range bombing/logistics, get the best fixed wing CAS air frame? If they keep complaining about how old and outdated it is, give it to the guys who need them, Army and Marines?

Personally, if the Army ever got any A-10's, I'd be the first to sign up.

lol, Rumors are just that, Rumors... The Navy will never give up their role with the F-18 and the Air force will never get rid of the A-10.

A-10 History http://chockblock.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/what-might-have-been-a-10s-for-the-army/

The only Army pilots that fly F-18's are Experimental Test Pilots.

Through an agreement with the AF the Army is restricted from buying tactical jet aircraft. Back in the 1950s there was a chance of the Army purchasing the Fiat G91 but that was shotdown. Rumors prior to Desert Storm of getting the A-10 but just rumors. No F-18s are going to go to the Army.

EDIT: I see Justine published the agreement above.

Edited by Velocity173

This isnt a traditional "fixed wing" but if you are in the Army long enough you may see a crazy hybrid like the Osprey... check it: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_10_02_2013_p0-623233.xml

Im ok with this. Personally, I love the V-22's.. Always have always will, especially if they can start mounting weapons systems on them.

Firstly the Army has no funding for tactical fixed wing assets such as the A-10 even if allowed by Big Blue. More importantly, the non rated Army Generals controlling the purse strings could care less who provides the CAS mission as long it doesn't come out of their budget.

If you want to fly tactical jets, apply to the other services other than the Coast Guard. No secret there. Many Army aviators have done so.

Is it true, they have AWOs cleaning toilets? That's hard to believe.

Firstly the Army has no funding for tactical fixed wing assets such as the A-10 even if allowed by Big Blue. More importantly, the non rated Army Generals controlling the purse strings could care less who provides the CAS mission as long it doesn't come out of their budget.

If you want to fly tactical jets, apply to the other services other than the Coast Guard. No secret there. Many Army aviators have done so.

Is it true, they have AWOs cleaning toilets? That's hard to believe.

Yep, know two guys from my old unit who flew 60s. Now they fly A-10s in the AF. Active too. Edited by Velocity173

My Air Force peers tell me that the some parts of the USAF want to dump the A-10 as fast as possible. Slow, takes up budget space and it's not multirole - doesn't really make it flexible for current USAF missions. It's a damn good aircraft and a shame that some think of it in that light. Every platform will have it's end, and then we can all fly UAVs. Yay.

...and then we can all fly UAVs. Yay.

Just save up money so you can buy your own airplane and make sure to join AOPA and fight for general aviation. Fly UAVs and make lots of money, then fly your own airplane for fun and get back to loving to fly. Its all the way you look at things, but there will be manned aircraft for at least until we retire.

Money makes aircraft fly.

We aren't flying because of the partial government shutdown.

We aren't. We have X number of gallons of fuel left for our entire battalion... which is a very, very low number. A certain CW5 type told me and a few other guys that the civilians that buy our contract fuel are working, but we're unauthorized the funds to purchase the fuel.

G O V E R N M E N T

S H U T D O W N

• 5 months later...

Yep, know two guys from my old unit who flew 60s. Now they fly A-10s in the AF. Active too.

Are intra service transfers from Army to Air Force hard to get if you want to fly helos in the Air Force? How about if you want to fly fixed wing in Air Force? Does the age limit still apply for UPT if you're over 30 and already an Army aviator?