Guard WO's

Hello, I am currently an Air Force Guardsman and have more than likely posted all of this before. My situation is this, I am 31 and an E-5 with a background in Avionics. What would the transfer to the Army Guard be like to become a WO and apply for WOFT. I have heard you must enlist, do Army Basic and then come back and submit a packet. I have also heard some units put you directly into a special class so to speak specifically designed for people wanting to go to WOFT. Also, is there a list of units and openings for Aviators or when their boards meet? I'm currently residing in MS, but I also know I might have to find a unit out of my state of fulfill my dream of becoming a WO. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. I know a lot of this board is geared toward AD, I know there must be some Guard folks around here.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that you are correct in terms of Army Guard. You would have to enlist and then apply. Whether or not you have to do Army basic can be dependent upon some things, and the reasons for having or not having to do it have not always been applied universally. Coming from Air Force, I would be prepared to go but I personally know a former AF avionics guy who went Army Guard (now 47 pilot) who did not have to go.

I'm not sure about a "special class" designed for people that want to go to WOFT. I do know that certain units know that you are joining (assuming you speak to them first) with the intention of applying for WOFT. Many times those units tend to let you do whatever is necessary to apply rather than focusing on your regular job. You better check with the prospective unit first.

• Like 1

first and foremost, find a unit. either in MS or another state. if you pick another state better plan on moving cause "the pilots" still have RL progression and minimums to maintain per month plus the one weekend drill too. i use "the pilots" cause right now im a 64 crew chief but im one step from getting fort rucker orders for wocs and woft. after you have found a unit/state, speak to an army NG recruiter and ask for the contact info for the states warrant officer strength manager. if they dont know then you can always just go to the unit itself for the contact info. that person is essentially the states WO recruiter. they will be able to guide you from there whether it be transferring first or doing your packet. i know here in AZ, they JUST changed the policy so that civilians can now apply from the street just like active duty. i had to enlist first then do my packet because i started this all about a year ago when the policy was you had to be a member of the AZ Army NG before submitting your packet.

unfortunately, NG units vary so widely state to state that doing the above is your best method for your pursuit to WOFT. im not surewhat else i can help with but let me know if you need more. and welcome to the best site on the internet.

As other members have mentioned guard has it's own way.
I called my State Warrant Officer Strenght Manager and here in Puerto Rico for a civilian they just make you take the ASVAB, SIFT, go to MEPS, and a board with the senior aviation chief and the command chief(IRC). after enlisting they sen't you to your unit to do a board and sen't you to Rucker.

Basically they make sure you are ready for Rucker before enlisting and after AIT (and the state having the funds) send you off to WOCS and Flight School.

But this will vary state by state.