Are There Any Unhappy Pilots Out There?

Im not happy. i hate coming to work and in the span of one duty day end up flying a Huey in the morning, the airplane in the afternoon for a last minute run to another location for a meeting followed by a couple hours in the 58 working a patrol call. People shouldnt have to work in these conditions.

• Like 2

Im not happy. i hate coming to work and in the span of one duty day end up flying a Huey in the morning, the airplane in the afternoon for a last minute run to another location for a meeting followed by a couple hours in the 58 working a patrol call. People shouldnt have to work in these conditions.

My heart bleeds for you mate lol

• Like 1

With this level of support, I have found the strength to bare down and come into work today. It is because of all of you that I can continue on.

You might want to be careful there. That might get you fired. You might want to bear down more, and bare down less !

Believe me.... they are out there!! ive worked with a couple who couldnt wait to retire and the day they retired was the last day they ever flew, and are done with it.

Was it the helicopters? Ehhhh, no dont think so but the life they chose because of it. Gone all the time, transient life style, divorces, etc etc. it was probably more about the choices they made. Instead of accepting responsibility they chose to blame it on the helicopter.

Edited by Flying Pig

First off, I LOVE FLYING HELICOPTERS, so I'm already jaded! I've tried to find the same rush and challenge all across the globe. It's nowhere to be found. For all those that dislike the work, please leave and give us who love it a chance to take your spot. We'll bring a renewed freshness to a tired industry and change it for the better and you all can be grumpy and sad for the rest of your lives having done something you didn't love for so long.

But wait! To help your transition out of this terrible life, I've provided some examples of jobs that your helicopter ratings will help with in your search for a new career:

-Wal-Mart greeter

-Office desk jockey

-Ditch digger extraordinaire

-McDonald's Employee of the Month

-Low to middle management level at a manufacturing plant

-Entry level bank employee

-Car salesman

-Carpet installer

-Join the ARMY!

-Insurance salesman

-Grumpy/Sad model for TV or periodicals

I don't know, these were just some jumping off points, but hopefully it will get your juices flowing, kind of like the first time you rotated and climbed out in a helicopter! Good luck fellas, the industry is going to miss you. But the carpet installation industry can't wait to have you on your knees, twisting your back up and paying you minimum wage. You'll shine like the beautiful stars you are!

Good topic, #476398! You're right, I enjoyed this better than a lot of other threads.

• Like 2

First off, I LOVE FLYING HELICOPTERS, so I'm already jaded! I've tried to find the same rush and challenge all across the globe. It's nowhere to be found. For all those that dislike the work, please leave and give us who love it a chance to take your spot. We'll bring a renewed freshness to a tired industry and change it for the better and you all can be grumpy and sad for the rest of your lives having done something you didn't love for so long.

Amen to that! If you're that miserable, get out and quit b****ing so people like us who actually enjoy flying can take over!

• Like 1

Amen to that! If you're that miserable, get out and quit b****ing so people like us who actually enjoy flying can take over!

It'll never happen! Those of us who bitch about work are always going to bitch about work no matter what the job is! We'll never quit, because even though we're miserable at work, we still enjoy the view!,...plus our skills are useless everywhere else! :lol:

It'll never happen! Those of us who bitch about work are always going to bitch about work no matter what the job is! We'll never quit, because even though we're miserable at work, we still enjoy the view!,...plus our skills are useless everywhere else! :lol:

Dont get me wrong, I get it. I bitch about work here and there (who doesnt) but its the pilots who bitch about EVERYTHING. Its not just about having a bad day or getting into it with their boss at work. Its complaining about the hours, the pay, their employer, the lack of maintenance, blah blah blah. If youre that miserable, get a new job! Im working towardss getting my license to fly so I dont have a lot of room to say much but from an outsiders perspective who is trying to get into this field, helicopter pilots seem to be whiny b*****es.... Now before anyone jumps on my ass about that comment, I only say that because I have spent a ton of time on these forums doing my research about this profession and I went from feeling excited about doing this to there was so much negativity that I was second guessing my decision.

To me, it seems like there are two different kind of pilots; Ones who love what they do and yes they have bad days here and there and feel the need to vent about it, which is understandable, but then there are pilots who it doesnt matter what they are flying, how much they are making etc., they are just straight up unhappy and miserable. I think those pilots are who HeliVane's comments and mine were directed towards.

In the meantime, Im still envious of you all (happy pilots or not) because you are up in the air flying and Im still down on four wheels trying to get there B) Soon enough!

• Like 1

abailey wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I get it. I bitch about work here and there (who doesnt) but its the pilots who bitch about EVERYTHING. Its not just about having a bad day or getting into it with their boss at work. Its complaining about the hours, the pay, their employer, the lack of maintenance, blah blah blah...

Well missy, that should give you a big clue about this industry in terms of the hours, the pay, the employers, the lack of maintenance, blah blah blah.

Just because you don't like the bad news doesn't mean you should dismiss it because you desperately hope it won't be that way for you.

You've been warned.

• Like 1

Variety is the spice of life. On the impolite forum I pointed out that pilots are like goldilocks. If everything isn't just right, they complain. Of course some saw fit to complain about that observation. I still maintain it's an accurate observation. The nice thing about complaining is that it leaves little energy left over to walk away from what you are complaining about.

So for most people they either complain, or do something about it. Not both.

• Like 1

abailey wrote:

Well missy, that should give you a big clue about this industry in terms of the hours, the pay, the employers, the lack of maintenance, blah blah blah.

Just because you don't like the bad news doesn't mean you should dismiss it because you desperately hope it won't be that way for you.

You've been warned.

And youre absolutely right. Maybe I dont want to hear all the horrible things about this profession because I am about to go into debt and bust my ass to get there. I do know there are pilots out there who do love what they do and who they work for and yes I am praying I can be one of those. I know not every job is going to be perfect. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself... even with all the warnings ;)

• Like 1