Practice test sites

Black Bear

I used ASA test prep. They have an app thats $10.00 per level. Private, Instrument, commercial, CFI.

Its also available on PC. This is updated every year, usually 99.9% accurate. Works great and worth the funds along the way.

I used ASA test prep. They have an app thats $10.00 per level. Private, Instrument, commercial, CFI.

Its also available on PC. This is updated every year, usually 99.9% accurate. Works great and worth the funds along the way.

I agree with Wolf. ASA prepware is the best in my opinion, although it's not free. You can create study sessions, take practice exams etc...

I used ASA throughout my training, but used Sheppard Air for FOIs.

My method using ASA was to buy the book and the software, go through the book highlighting all the correct answers, then when I got done with that I would take some practice tests. I'd go back and forth from there until I was getting consistent scores in the 90's on the practice tests and then I'd go get my endorsement and take the exam.

That being said, Sheppard Air's method works really well. I studied for the FOI exam for 3 days (couple hours a day) and got a 96% on the exam. The question bank only had 300ish questions though. Not much compared to private and commercial...

• Like 1

I got the ASA prep book from my school, read through it 3x (while taking the practice exams). Then I went to:

http://www.exams4pilots.org/ (FREE)

and took the ROTORCRAFT (specific) test 3-4x's a day for a week. Took the test and got a 97%. The 2 questions I got wrong: one was completely new to me and the other was one of those heading questions, where the answers are like 3 degrees apart...

I will pass this bit of advice (it's largely what Sheppard Air's system is based on): DON'T just try to take a bunch of practice exams. Law of primacy is king and is the reason I missed a question on FOIs.

If you read through the ASA book, highlight all the right answers or black out the wrong ones prior to reading the question. Doing this helps the brain make connections between words. Read through it enough times like that and you'll know the answer before you even finish read the question.

I've watched friends get low scores because they would take exam after exam without going through and reading the answers first. If you go through and answer a question wrong and thought your answer sounded right, you will hurt yourself.

• Like 1

To piggyback on what RTB just said;

Know WHY the answer is correct or incorrect. Many of the questions try to mislead. But, the answer is fairly obvious, if you know the WHY.

One that sticks out, is the picture of the runways, and wind sock. You choose which runway and pattern direction. But, the best runway/wind approach is wrong, because the runway has an X on it (closed).