WO Selection Advice

Hello Everyone,

I am an active duty SPC 11B looking into WO selection.

I am currently working on a 153A packet and could use some guidance.

I'm working on taking the SIFT test whenever I can get it scheduled through my local ed center. This is proving difficult due to my units operation tempo. I should be able to take it sometime within the next month.

I am also in the process of trying to find a senior warrant officer to interview me and possibly write me a letter of recommendation. However, being an 11B I do not often have the chance to work with Aviation WO's.

Another issue is that my resume seems to be lacking. I have not had the chance to deploy, and I have not had the chance to attend any army schools. I was slotted to go to Ranger school last year, but I was sent to language training to learn Pastho instead. I spent 6 months learning Pashto before my brigade was supposed to deploy, and after the course my company was selected to be one of the PTDO companies. After finishing 4th in the language training program, I was supposed to be moved to one of the deploying companies, but the Battalion level leadership decided that soldiers with infants at home were not going to deploy. My daugter was 5 months old so I was moved back to my original company.

So other then 3 years of college, and being level 1 Pashto, I do not have much for experience. Is there anyway to beef up my resume to make me more competitive? Would being a CPL help my chances of selection? I am in a leadership position and should be picking up CPL soon.

Any advice on the packet, and selection process would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/13468-warrant-officer-flight-training/

This thread has a lot of answers for you. Lindsey did an awesome job at making the guide, so take a few minutes to read it.

There are a few study guides floating around for SIFT too as well as this thread with all you need to know about the SIFT.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/15829-sift-is-primed-and-ready/

As far as selection, I havent been selected so I cant personally speak to it, but from what Ive read on the forums and being prior enlisted I can make some suggestions. LORs are really important. Yes, senior aviation CWO's are important. I recommend calling around to some local aviation units. Tell them what you want to do, most WO's are really cool about helping someone get into the community. LORs from high ranking people you know, regardless of community helps too. If you are chummy or at least know your Btn Co. get a LOR from him. Even a Sgt Major helps.

College degree helps but its not necessary. If you beef up your package with a good APFT and SIFT scores (its still debatable whether or not a high SIFT actually is seen by the board or if just Pass/Fail) helps too.

Everyone here on the forum is pretty cool, a lot of WO's here too. As long as you're respectful and look for the answers, you'll get a lot of good information. Good luck man!

• Like 1

Thank you for the help.

It looks like I am not going to have my packet done before the deadline for the next board. That means I have until 14 Mar 14 to figure this out.

I was told by another guy I know also submitting a packet that you do not need the complete packet in order to attend the board. Any merit to that statement? From what I have read that appears to be wrong.

Would it help to add other letters of recognition to my packet on top of one from a Senior WO, one from my CO, and one from by BC?

I have no help or support from anyone within my chain of command, so I am trying to figure all of this out solo.

Also in regards to the security clearance... Do all aviators need to obtain a TS at some point? Or can aviators serve on active duty with secret clearances?

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the help.

It looks like I am not going to have my packet done before the deadline for the next board. That means I have until 14 Mar 14 to figure this out.

I was told by another guy I know also submitting a packet that you do not need the complete packet in order to attend the board. Any merit to that statement? From what I have read that appears to be wrong.

Would it help to add other letters of recognition to my packet on top of one from a Senior WO, one from my CO, and one from by BC?

I have no help or support from anyone within my chain of command, so I am trying to figure all of this out solo.

Also in regards to the security clearance... Do all aviators need to obtain a TS at some point? Or can aviators serve on active duty with secret clearances?

Thanks for the help!

You definitely need to have a completed package. As far as LOR, letters of recognition wouldn't hurt, but definitely work on getting some solid letters of Reccomendation. I would try contacting your prior service recruiter, don't rely on him, but he'll at least be a bit of help.

You definitely need to have a completed package. As far as LOR, letters of recognition wouldn't hurt, but definitely work on getting some solid letters of Reccomendation. I would try contacting your prior service recruiter, don't rely on him, but he'll at least be a bit of help.

Well about that.... He kinda got forced into early retirement for sleeping with female recruits :wacko:

Well about that.... He kinda got forced into early retirement for sleeping with female recruits :wacko:

Lol that's classy. Hell, call your local regular run of the mill recruiters. They may be able to help. But for the most part, a common thing you'll share with other WOFT applicants is that you'll do 95% of this package yourself. The USAREC website is your best tool. Follow the checklist and if you get stuck anywhere, most of the info you'll find here. If not, ask.

Hey lightfighter...

Drop me a personal line and I'll see what I can do to help you out. SSG, 11B, currently recruiting, just picked up on Sep Board. I'll hook you up with a copy of my completed PACKET too...

^^^^^^^haha I'd like you to meet your new best friend, gotta love the forums

^^^^^^^haha I'd like you to meet your new best friend, gotta love the forums

Awwww.... What a sweet guy. And good job on setting a positive example by showing the level of Leadership you have by trying to clown people rather than help them. It's cute.

Awwww.... What a sweet guy. And good job on setting a positive example by showing the level of Leadership you have by trying to clown people rather than help them. It's cute.

I think you misunderstood him.

• Like 1

You seriously misunderstood. I'm not sure how you misinterpreted my comments to be negative, but that is the complete polar opposite of the message I was trying to convey. I hope you are not so quick to jump to conclusions when presented with a life or death situation.

Eh, seemed like you were being a smart ass... My bad. Sorry for the confusion. I deal with too many clowns on a daily basis that would jump right in being an idiot rather than trying to help out a Soldier.

Understood, I see now it was a useless comment that added no value to the thread. I was simply highlighting the gloriousness that is this online forum. I thought it was awesome that someone could get on to this forum with questions about a little known process and happen to find someone in such a similar position (two 11Bs in this case). Sorry if my comments offended you in anyway and sorry to the starter of the thread for filing it with social fluff. Good luck to all, best wishes in your journey.

Haha, it's all good... Little misunderstanding. It was similar to what I would have said to someone if I were trying to be smart ass, just taken in the wrong context.

On another note, I sent you my packet... Let me know if you have any issues. The whole packet can take some time.... I'd suggest starting with the 61 and 160 forms then go from there. I decided to drop a packet and less than 30 days later I had a 'Board Ready' packet at USAREC, so it's possible to knock it out quick, just takes a little motivation and a lot of hounding. I'll PM you my #... Shoot me a text and I'll give you some guidance on completing everything in a timely manner.

• Like 1