Best road for civilian to WOFT

Hey all,

Just wanted to say I am loving this forum. It is not easy to get infromation on the WOFT program, not even from a recruiter. To say the least this forum has been a life saver. Sorry if some of my questions seem to simple but I am just looking for clarification.

I am 23, and currently go to Humboldt State University. I have 3 more semesters until I will get my BS. I also have about 15 hours of fixed wing lessons accomplished. I like school, however I am not passionate about it. I really just want to get into the cockpit and fly.

Should I finish out school or just apply with my current credits(85 total)? Is there a true advantage to completing my degree or using existing credits?

Would work as a Emergeny Medical Technichian look good as being apart of my packet?

Can I be be guaranteed into the WOFT program before enlisting?

The most important question of all,

What would you WOs and the like suggest as the best road to take from here?

Any advice is appreciated as I am still learning a lot about the WOFT program and what it will take. Thankfully, I know I can get much more honest and sincere advice here than from a recruiter.

Regards,

Andrew B.

• Like 2

To start with I'm not a WO but I've seen a good group of people go through the process and have been following the selections for a while.

You should absolutely finish your degree. You're very close and having a degree will make you much more competitive than just having college hours. It's a sign of dedication to completing a goal. The vast majority of selectees have had a bachelors degree.

Work as an EMT will likely look good. I'm assuming you are already certified and have worked as one in the past?

You will complete your packet and when/if you are selected, only then will you sign a contract and you will be guaranteed progression through the flight training program assuming you complete all the schools when you're in.

I would suggest finishing school strong and maintaining a good GPA (it can be a discerning and objective quantification of your personality). Start looking into possible letter of recommendation writers and start working on some of your essay and start studying for the SIFT. Get everything you need (this is all covered on the forums) gathered and bring it to your recruiter. If you time it right you could have your battalion board right after graduation and potentially be shipping out a month or two after getting your degree.

• Like 1

I second everything l3uller said. Read this thread, primarily the guide Lindsey was so kind to give us here. http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/13468-warrant-officer-flight-training/

College degree is highly recommended, based on the stats from last selection, a vast majority had BS/BA degrees. Concentrate on LORs like l3uller said, make friends with aviators, especially Army WO's.

Here are the variables you have absolute control over in your packet: APFT (run run run), SIFT score (too much info on it here not to do well), your GPA (something I wish I could go back in time and fix), LORs (you may not know a 4 star general, but there are ways to get impressive LORs), being proactive and working hard. Obviously your physical and flight physical are out of your control, but if you work hard at these things and follow the advice here for your package, you should be in good shape.

Should I finish out school or just apply with my current credits(85 total)? Is there a true advantage to completing my degree or using existing credits?

Would work as a Emergeny Medical Technichian look good as being apart of my packet?

Can I be be guaranteed into the WOFT program before enlisting?

What would you WOs and the like suggest as the best road to take from here?

Unless there is a compelling reason for you to take exit from college now, stay and finish your degree.

Yes, there is a real advantage to finishing. One has been stated - selection. The bigger picture is beyond that in terms of warrant officer promotion rates. A degree is all but required to continue to progress through the ranks and therefore your career. Yes, you can work on your education while serving but you are in college now and can dedicate yourself to it fully so it is a no-brainer.

Being an EMT can look good. Anything that shows dedication and service will do that.

Yes, you can be guaranteed WOFT. You can't be selected (in this program) without it being guaranteed.

Best route from here - Get good grades, get in shape, source LORs, keep getting flight hours if feasible, and don't screw up between now and the time you apply.

• Like 1

3 semesters is not that long at all. If I was in your shoes...I'd start the process now and try to make selection coincide with your college graduation. The WOFT Process can be a long one, why not start now? That being said I think it's important that you finish your degree as well.

• Like 1

3 semesters is not that long at all. If I was in your shoes...I'd start the process now and try to make selection coincide with your college graduation. The WOFT Process can be a long one, why not start now? That being said I think it's important that you finish your degree as well.

I'm a huge advocate of this course of action. Finishing college and applying to WOFT don't have to be mutually exclusive. Go take the ASVAB, get your MEPS physical done, take the SIFT. The ASVAB and MEPS phys are good for 2 years and the SIFT is valid forever as long as you pass it. Write your "Why I want to be an Army Aviator" essay and resume and just edit and add to those as you get closer to submitting your packet. Begin establishing relationships with senior WOs so they can write a letter based on knowing you over a year rather than just an out-of-the-blue-need-a-letter-right-now email. Get in shape so the APFT is a non-issue. There are literally a TON of things you can work on while simultaneously finishing college. Then submit your packet, say, 6 months out from graduation. They won't make you ship out before you graduate. Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Like 1

I'm a huge advocate of this course of action. Finishing college and applying to WOFT don't have to be mutually exclusive. Go take the ASVAB, get your MEPS physical done, take the SIFT. The ASVAB and MEPS phys are good for 2 years and the SIFT is valid forever as long as you pass it. Write your "Why I want to be an Army Aviator" essay and resume and just edit and add to those as you get closer to submitting your packet. Begin establishing relationships with senior WOs so they can write a letter based on knowing you over a year rather than just an out-of-the-blue-need-a-letter-right-now email. Get in shape so the APFT is a non-issue. There are literally a TON of things you can work on while simultaneously finishing college. Then submit your packet, say, 6 months out from graduation. They won't make you ship out before you graduate. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better. Hindsight is always 20/20....coulda woulda, shoulda.....If I could I would have done it this way. It's ideal in my opinion.

Definitely start now like Lindsey said. I started building my packet and had everything I could do on my end done before I graduated and walked into the recruiter the same month I graduated. If I'm selected on this upcoming board I will likely ship in April...a year after I walked into the recruiter and graduated.

I didn't finish college and got hired off the street -- and I don't regret it.
I'll be finished with my bachelors this time next year, paid for by Tuition Assistance, all while doing my job at my unit. I didn't want to wait to finish my degree because every month that went by that I didn't apply, I was wasting potential opportunities to get my dream job.

It's not for everyone, but in my case, not finishing my degree before I applied was the best decision I could have made.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is greatly appreciated. I will indeed finish my degree. Being so close it really does not make sense not to as many have said. And yes I3uller I do have my EMT cert and have worked as one in the past. I enjoy my current job at local feed store and it keeps me in shape. However, if working as an EMT would have any effect then I would change jobs.

Over the past few days I have been thinking a lot about my LORs. I know 1 retiered Coast Guard pilot and recently met a current Coast Guard pilot. I will work on networking to meet some WOs and hopefully get a LOR from them.

Thanks for the info guys! Really dont know what I would do without this forum!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is greatly appreciated. I will indeed finish my degree. Being so close it really does not make sense not to as many have said. And yes I3uller I do have my EMT cert and have worked as one in the past. I enjoy my current job at local feed store and it keeps me in shape. However, if working as an EMT would have any effect then I would change jobs.

Over the past few days I have been thinking a lot about my LORs. I know 1 retiered Coast Guard pilot and recently met a current Coast Guard pilot. I will work on networking to meet some WOs and hopefully get a LOR from them.

Thanks for the info guys! Really dont know what I would do without this forum!

Good! Build relationships, but dont do LORs yet, remember they have an expiration date.