Kiowas no longer an option for selection?

So, its been a while since I posted anything on here...a long while. But I stopped in to see if folks were talking about this sequester non-sense and future of Ft. Rucker. It sucks to have to say this but Army aviation right now is not what it used to be. Even with the money temporarily somewhat turned on there is no real end in sight to this situation. Theres no gas, no money, and I can surely see them getting rid of Kiowas soon. They sent most of them home half way through the last rotation because there really was no use for them and it was higher risk letting them fly around. Its back to the peacetime Army of the post-Vietnam, and early 1990's. Its gonna get ugly...I dont think Im gonna make my minimums this time around, which is pathetic and demotivational in itself. Really wish I had something positive to say!

• Like 1

Why the talk of what seems to be a shortage then? Is there just a lack of qualified candidates in accessions? I'm assuming its a shortage based on the messages on the USAREC website regarding being highly likely to be selected if qualified for 153As.

So, its been a while since I posted anything on here...a long while. But I stopped in to see if folks were talking about this sequester non-sense and future of Ft. Rucker. It sucks to have to say this but Army aviation right now is not what it used to be. Even with the money temporarily somewhat turned on there is no real end in sight to this situation. Theres no gas, no money, and I can surely see them getting rid of Kiowas soon. They sent most of them home half way through the last rotation because there really was no use for them and it was higher risk letting them fly around. Its back to the peacetime Army of the post-Vietnam, and early 1990's. Its gonna get ugly...I dont think Im gonna make my minimums this time around, which is pathetic and demotivational in itself. Really wish I had something positive to say!

McClain, Im not tracking a shortage, number wise there may be. If you get selected youll just have to find out for yourself. Make the best of it. That does not mean that youll get to your first AV unit and start flying and getting trained up. Just due to lack of flight hours, money for gas and there being another looming shutdown. I dont know what the future holds, I just know what Im seeing right now isnt very promising. I would obviously weigh your options and decide based on whats best for your career and your sanity whether or not to try to get into flight school. Unfortunately, theres no way to predict whether it gets better or worse, but if this war really is over...

McClain, Im not tracking a shortage, number wise there may be. If you get selected youll just have to find out for yourself. Make the best of it. That does not mean that youll get to your first AV unit and start flying and getting trained up. Just due to lack of flight hours, money for gas and there being another looming shutdown. I dont know what the future holds, I just know what Im seeing right now isnt very promising. I would obviously weigh your options and decide based on whats best for your career and your sanity whether or not to try to get into flight school. Unfortunately, theres no way to predict whether it gets better or worse, but if this war really is over...

If there's one thing Ive learned about the military, something always sucks. Something is always getting worse, something is always on the chopping block. Will peacetime Army suck more? Probably, but eh, make the most of it. If I get to sit in a cockpit of a helicopter that is out of gas on the tarmac, sure beats sitting on my ass in a desk chair posting about it!

• Like 1

I'm tracking. Something always sucks,but it could always be worse. I do want to fly, and I know I'm getting in on the tail end of the money (training wise), but I just prioritized in my career/personal life, so it took me a few years to get submitted to the board. I put college, and deploying ahead of pushing to become an aviator (I've toyed with the idea since 07). But I've also accomplished a lot and set myself up for success in other places. I'm not worried about the loss in money and training etc. It all happens for a reason and will work out how its supposed to. We've been losing aircraft for jumps the last couple months, but it could always be worse. I don't see a full on Clinton area Army coming, because the guys that are getting into position to make those kind of decisions were junior officers and field grades during that time. It's going to hurt, but I don't believe it'll hurt as bad as some predict.

As far as going to an Aviation unit and not flying, would they farm you out to staff jobs and whatnot or is it just a whole lot of hanging around after you've done your mandatory classes and additional duties?

No offense to all the doom and bloomers out there but at least we are still getting paid.

That's more than I can say for some civilians out there right now.

Army is cutting down and all those pilots in the past are still around doing something or other. It's not the end of the world, army aviation shouldn't be the pinnacle of your life.

• Like 2

If they are willing to pay me to not make minimum hours as an officer for 6 years then I suppose I can suffer through it. My golf game is going to be awesome and I'm probably going to leave with a post graduate degree. Lol.

No offense to all the doom and bloomers out there but at least we are still getting paid.

That's more than I can say for some civilians out there right now.

Army is cutting down and all those pilots in the past are still around doing something or other. It's not the end of the world, army aviation shouldn't be the pinnacle of your life.

• Like 1