building turbine time in experimental??

richeh123

I considered the HC, Mosquito, and Tubine Exec too when I was shopping. What aspects of the Mosquito do you like best?

I'd love to get my hands on one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83t1iejpc8

You have no experience, no qualifications, and know nothing. How could anyone possibly be threatened by you? Try again, mate.

That's not the reason.

Your persona here is dependant on your belief that everyone envys you,...wants to be you. That's why you brag so much about all the things you've done. So many things that YOU should be the guy on the Dos Equis commercial!

...but here I am, a low time pilot who doesn't envy the mighty avbug, does not look up to him, does not want to be him! Such impudence! Such arrogance! THAT'S what threatens you! So you lash out. You blow what I say so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out of proportion that it becomes, well,...laughable! Its textbook Psych 101 stuff.

You have a huge ego there,...mate!,...and it needs to feed! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think there's a soul here that want to be me, other than me, of course. Nor is that the issue.

Your flippant attitude that what is a career to some can be your retirement hobby, that is the issue, as is your approach in general. You have no need to listen to anyone, as you feel you know it all now. For a guy with no experience who knows nothing, you have a rather vaunted opinion of what it is that you don't know.

I don't tell you what I've done. Do you know what it is that I do? I doubt it. Do you know for whom I fly? I doubt that, either. To suggest otherwise, as you've done, is a form of a lie. Brag about what I do? Go ahead. Tell me what it is that I do. I'll bet you're not close.

You do know, right? Seeing that I've apparently bragged all about it.

You make the assumption that I have any idea who you are or what you do, or what your career goals are. I don't. I haven't followed your threads, read your posts, or concerned myself one iota about your life.

I've seen a lot of folks like you, some of them experienced pilots, who have made the same off hand, idiotic remark that "I'd like to do that when I retire," as though it's some kind of hobby. It's not. When the real career is over, when the genuine work is done, you want to do this as a hobby, do you? You're not alone in your flippancy. That doesn't do much to justify you, however, or your comments. Expect to be slapped down for them, like it or not. Come across as a 14 year old, you'll be treated like one.

Your flippant attitude that what is a career to some can be your retirement hobby,

There you go again, making sh*t up to support your rant!

I don't tell you what I've done. Do you know what it is that I do? I doubt it. Do you know for whom I fly? I doubt that, either. To suggest otherwise, as you've done, is a form of a lie. Brag about what I do? Go ahead. Tell me what it is that I do. I'll bet you're not close.

You do know, right? Seeing that I've apparently bragged all about it.

You either don't read your own posts, or there is more than one person posting under your name!

You make the assumption that I have any idea who you are or what you do, or what your career goals are. I don't. I haven't followed your threads, read your posts, or concerned myself one iota about your life.

Then perhaps you shouldn't be making assumptions about me and ranting at me like a lunatic!

I've seen a lot of folks like you, some of them experienced pilots, who have made the same off hand, idiotic remark that "I'd like to do that when I retire," as though it's some kind of hobby. It's not. When the real career is over, when the genuine work is done, you want to do this as a hobby, do you? You're not alone in your flippancy. That doesn't do much to justify you, however, or your comments. Expect to be slapped down for them, like it or not. Come across as a 14 year old, you'll be treated like one.

Not everyone can afford to chase a little white ball around when they get older. Some of us will be working until we die. Not everyone can have a flying career when their 20! "Flippancy"? That sounds like something a 14 year old would say!

Get help dude!

You either don't read your own posts, or there is more than one person posting under your name!

I don't post under my name, mate.

You don't know what it is that i do then, is that what you're telling us? You're unable to answer the question? What is it that I "brag" about doing, and what do I do? Can you tell me? You made the call, now back it up.

You can't, of course, because you lied.

Some of us will be working until we die. Not everyone can have a flying career when their 20!

Hopefully you're not flying an aircraft when you die while working. That really shouldn't be your goal, you see. It's not very professional.

I don't know about 20. I started at fourteen years old, and have been going strong a number of decades since.

As for hitting a little white ball around, you can do that if you want, but I'll be flying.

Guest pokey

What is it that I "brag" about doing, and what do I do? Can you tell me? You made the call, now back it up.

You can't, of course, because you lied.

To call someone a liar on the internet is pretty much useless, you have called me worse. All one has to do is read your posts and you will have answered your own question.

As far a building T-Time in an experimental, it seems these are the main issues:

Purchase Price

Operating Cost

Subsequent Selling Price

Hiring manager’s perception about the hours logged.

There are probably six or so choices, but the HC, Mosquito, Exec turbines are all around the same purchase price.

I wonder which is actually the best choice, not necessarily the best helicopter, just the best choice for just logging T-Time?

Would bigger be better? Two-place Exec over a single?

I have no intention of doing this, but I think the topic is interesting.

Seems like somthing like this might work out better in the long run:

1960AEROSPATI ALOUET IISE313B • $135,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • R/N 7254 * 7218 TT * 1211 HOURS REMAINING PROP * KING KY-196 VHF * KT-76C X-PDR * ENCODER * ELT * FIRE EXTINGUISHER * TIME REMAINING * MAIN ROTOR BLADES; 1566.20 , 2212.20 AND 2212.20 Hours remaining * MAIN ROTOR GEAR BOX 1443.20 HRS REMAINING * TAIL BLADE & TAIL GEAR BOX 400 HRS REMAINING * EMPTY WT. 963 KLG (2118 LBS) * BURNS 30 GALLONS/HOUR WILL TRADE FOR A BELL 47 or HILLER 12 E * FRESH ANNUAL OCT 12/2012 * OPEN FOR A SERIOUS OFFER AND OR TRADE DOWN TO SMALLER HELI/PLANE * GREEN PAINT * UTILITY INTERIOR 5 SEATS *CANADIAN TURBINE HELICOPTER * PRICE IN US FUNDS * LOCATION: QUEBEC • WWW.CSPLANE.COM • Contact Steve Assaly - C&S ENTERPRISES, LTD. located Hawkesbury, ON Canada • Telephone: 613-632-0123 . • Fax: 613-632-9027 • Posted March 14, 2014 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

If you just want to fly, sure go for it. If someone is looking to do it to build hours towards a career and bypass the traditional routes like being a CFI, you are going to waste a lot of years working towards a goal you will never reach. Sure, someone always knows a friend who had a cousin, who's step sister managed to get in going this route, but nobody knows her name or her email address.

Edited by Flying Pig

Guest pokey

I don't think there's a soul here that want to be me, other than me, of course.

Come across as a 14 year old, you'll be treated like one.

in response to the 1st part,, of korse ! of korse !

and the 2nd? at least you got called a 14 year old,, I forget how old he insulted me to be,, but? then again? WHO was flying since they were FOURTEEN??

Guest pokey

to seriously answer the OP question, it is kind of like the homebuilder getting his 'repairman' certificate as opposed to a 'real' A&P rating, both get the job done, but only one carries any "validation"---even tho the repairman could possibly be a more knowledgeable and more capable mechanic, his skills are not recognized in the commercial aviation community,,,,,,,,,,sad but true

Regarding the OP, there might be some hybrid solution that works as well. I have found that a little flexibility and creativity can go a long way.

Helicopter:

First, from the early responses, and my friends who fly professionally (utility, tours, ems…), "turbine" time in something like the XET is not more valuable than piston time in anything else that size. With that said, a used Hiller or Brantley can be had for ~$50k-$60k.

It seems to me that having 2 seats is more important for this venture than a turbine, see below.

Time Building:

There are multiple ways to donate time as a pilot, especially with your own helicopter. The Coast Guard Auxiliary is always looking for pilots or pilots with aircraft: 200 hours - SIC, 500 hours - PIC. It would seem to me that a program like this, which also gives mission training, could change the perception of your "free-wheeling" time into real time. Fo this, you would often be carrying a second pilot or observer. http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=R-DEPT&category=air

Taking some additional courses might help as well; Touch Down Autos, Factory Training...

Another way this person could improve their skill and also become known as a good candidate is to offer rides to other pilots in the industry they are interested in. It sounds childish to say that, but what I mean is that having a constant push for improvement, and becoming known as a dedicated pilot/learner gives a leg up in getting hired. Like any other industry, pro-activity and networking are extremely important.

I was lucky enough to grow up around helicopters and planes, and the input from those pilots has been invaluable in my own flying.

As I am not a hiring manager in this industry, what I have said above is speculation, and I don't intend it to be otherwise. I also don't mean to say that I think it's easy to do it the "non-traditional" way.

-PK

I missed it the first time when cburg asked me about the mosquito.

The reason I am leaning towards it is because I have heard a lot of good things about it being one of the best designed homebuilts.

In addition there is a member on this forum who used to post video of him flying his own mosquito.

I missed it the first time when cburg asked me about the mosquito.

The reason I am leaning towards it is because I have heard a lot of good things about it being one of the best designed homebuilts.

In addition there is a member on this forum who used to post video of him flying his own mosquito.

As I recall from pilots who flew them both, they Auto well.

There are some really slick looking ones flying.

I drove down to Trenton, FL for the annual Mosquito fly in this past weekend. They've got a real nice piece of rural real estate in the middle of nowhere (reallly beautiful), They have a couple of hangars and both were filled with helicopters - some finished and many in various stages of construction. There were a number of piston and turbine-powered models flying, including a new water-cooled two stroke version that makes gobs of power. I've viewed dozens of their youtube videos, but there's nothing like being there.

Some of them were tricked out to the absolute 9's. Craftmanship looks very nice and by the looks of the faces on the pilots as they filled the airspace around the field - an absolute blast to fly. The pilots ranged from retired warrant officers of the Vietnam era to commercial jet pilots to one guy who's never even flown a commercial helicopter.

I have to say that the XET is profoundly sexy. Plenty of power, but only 1.5 hours or so of fuel on board. Not a big problem for me. I can't afford to fly a rented R-22 much longer than that. If I pass my checkride in less than two weeks, I'll be seriously considering a purchase of a used XET.

One real treat was meeting Robert Mason, the fellow who wrote the book Chickenhawk. Awesome book. I read it a while back and it was great getting some additonal detail/perspective behind some of the scenes from the guy who was actually doing the flying.

I drove down to Trenton, FL for the annual Mosquito fly in this past weekend. They've got a real nice piece of rural real estate in the middle of nowhere (reallly beautiful), They have a couple of hangars and both were filled with helicopters - some finished and many in various stages of construction. There were a number of piston and turbine-powered models flying, including a new water-cooled two stroke version that makes gobs of power. I've viewed dozens of their youtube videos, but there's nothing like being there.

Some of them were tricked out to the absolute 9's. Craftmanship looks very nice and by the looks of the faces on the pilots as they filled the airspace around the field - an absolute blast to fly. The pilots ranged from retired warrant officers of the Vietnam era to commercial jet pilots to one guy who's never even flown a commercial helicopter.

I have to say that the XET is profoundly sexy. Plenty of power, but only 1.5 hours or so of fuel on board. Not a big problem for me. I can't afford to fly a rented R-22 much longer than that. If I pass my checkride in less than two weeks, I'll be seriously considering a purchase of a used XET.

One real treat was meeting Robert Mason, the fellow who wrote the book Chickenhawk. Awesome book. I read it a while back and it was great getting some additonal detail/perspective behind some of the scenes from the guy who was actually doing the flying.

Really glad you got to go. Did any of the 2-stroke models fancy your interest (no argument the turbine is the way to go)? Feedback on the Compact Radial Engines MZ engines? How many part 103 helis were there?

I'm considering a even trade for a HC or XET for my Hughes.

You prefer the Mosuito over the HC, what are your thoughts?