Fort Rucker Flying Hour Reduction/Layoffs

Here's some information concerning AFS (Army Fleet Support), which in basic terms refers to the civilians that support flying activities at Fort Rucker - fueling, maintenance, etc.

Between 250-300 AFS workers (of the current ~3000 person workforce or 10%) are expecting their layoff notices the day before Christmas exodus. Why? Because the fiscal year 2014 budget is expected to reduce the Fort Rucker flying hours from the planned 250,000 hours to right at 200,000.

That is a 20% reduction in flying hours at Fort Rucker alone, in just one fiscal year.

Take it for what it is worth. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from the info but I'm sure you can.

Here's a couple of links to the applicable sources, released yesterday:

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/article_d33b445e-3de0-11e3-a6a7-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.iam2003.org/layoff-information/

• Like 1

Yup. It sucks.

I know hopefuls will read this and get mad. Dont. Follow your dreams. This is typical for post war.

That being said, this sucks.

Reality is a bitch. But hey, I leave in 9 days to finally get this show on the road. Bring it.

• Like 1

I know hopefuls will read this and get mad. Dont. Follow your dreams. This is typical for post war.

I totally agree. If you are selected you are going to fly your hours so don't worry about that. Nothing will change for you at Rucker and you likely won't notice a difference anyway - you have nothing to compare it to. Of course your hours will likely be less at your unit too but you probably already knew that would be the case.

Manpower always ebbs and flows. Budgets just happen to be tightening right now. I just put this info out for situational awareness.

The Army still needs good pilots and always will. The best will always make it through. If you are the best, you've got a spot waiting for you.

We may just be here a little longer. Leaving flight school as a CW2?

Actually, we were just briefed by B Co yesterday that organizations all across post had put in requests for students on hold because of the anticipated bubbles coming down the line.

23 SEP 13 - Deadline for the NOVEMBER board is EXTENDED to 28 OCT 13 for the following MOSs: 140A, 140E, 150A, 153A, 290A, 350F, 350G, 351L, 351M, 352N, 914A, and 921A. Bottom Line: We are short applicants applying for 140A, 140E, 150A, 153A, 290A, 350F, 350G, 351L, 351M, 352N, 914A, and 921A! If you have the prerequisite experience for these Warrant Officer MOS' and the desire to submit a packet, then your chances of being selected on the first board of FY 14 is extremely HIGH!

That's a direct quote from usarec website, so take everything with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

23 SEP 13 - Deadline for the NOVEMBER board is EXTENDED to 28 OCT 13 for the following MOSs: 140A, 140E, 150A, 153A, 290A, 350F, 350G, 351L, 351M, 352N, 914A, and 921A. Bottom Line: We are short applicants applying for 140A, 140E, 150A, 153A, 290A, 350F, 350G, 351L, 351M, 352N, 914A, and 921A! If you have the prerequisite experience for these Warrant Officer MOS' and the desire to submit a packet, then your chances of being selected on the first board of FY 14 is extremely HIGH!

That's a direct quote from usarec website, so take everything with a grain of salt.

my intel is from this week. It would supersede this. If you look at the available seats per class, numbers are way low....