Aeromedical questions

So, I'll disclaimer this for everyone here. I know no one here is a doctor (if you are, lets be friends) or qualified to give advice about aeromedical situations, but like everything else with the process, flight physicals are a big part of the packet.

Essentially what my question boils down to, Ill spare you reading a novel, according to Army Regulation 40–501, the guidebook for Army aviation medical fitness, it describes what disqualifies you.... So, say one were to for vision for example, slightly out of bounds on one of the scores, does that mean you can obtain a waiver to excuse that?

Long store short

(3) Cycloplegic refractive error using the method in ATB, Cycloplegic Refraction.

(a) Hyperopia greater than +3.00 diopters of sphere in any meridian by transposition in either eye. (Spherical
equivalent method does not apply.)
( b ) Myopia greater than –1.50 diopters of sphere in any meridian by transposition in either eye. (Spherical
equivalent method does not apply.)
© Astigmatism greater than +/–1.00 diopter of cylinder in either eye

Hypothetically, if my eyes have a hyperopia beyond +3.00 diopters, but see normally without atropine would the Army be ok with this?

In theory everything is waiverable. I received a waiver for Total Arm Reach, LASIK, and an exception to policy (ETP) for my pre-LASIK vision being 0.25 or 0.50 diopters off from the "waiverable" measure. The only way you'll be able to find out for sure is to get your flight physical done and submit a waiver. I'd give Mr. Garcia a call and ask if he can assist with that particular waiver process (i.e. Do you need additional exams or is it just a mere question of submitting the request). The optometrist who does your flight physical eye exam should also be able to help.

Awesome thanks Lindsey. Based on the chat I had with the Navy flight surgeon when I was trying this out with the Marines was that my DQ was a really stupid loophole. Hopefully the Army will see it as such and actually do waivers. But that doesnt mean I wont do as much vision therapy as I can in the meantime (Ill be looking like a pirate for a while yarrr).

According to my last physical +6.25 heh... Here's the problem I see with this, which is in my mind why a waiver isn't something unreasonable. I see 20/12 out of my right (dominant) eye. I still however, have 40 seconds of arc depth perception (which means I dont have a deficiency in depth perception). I see 20/25 left eye uncorrected and 20/20 when both eyes are open. The only time I do bad is with atropine drops. I've essentially corrected an eye deficiency by teaching myself to manually focus my eye. The doctor even said the improvement I made on my eye is miraculous. So, unless the taliban is shooting atropine into the cockpits of helo's, I dont necessarily see the problem.

... So, unless the taliban is shooting atropine into the cockpits of helo's, I dont necessarily see the problem.

Public forum man! Dont give those tricky bastards any ideas!!! haha Worst thing they can say is no, but even then don't take that answer just get another flight surgeon. You can get in the seat! The guy from that movie under "motivational movie" got SHOT IN THE FACE! and he flies/flew f-14s so with enough effort I bet you will get that seat!!! Good luck brother!

• Like 1

Public forum man! Dont give those tricky bastards any ideas!!! haha Worst thing they can say is no, but even then don't take that answer just get another flight surgeon. You can get in the seat! The guy from that movie under "motivational movie" got SHOT IN THE FACE! and he flies/flew f-14s so with enough effort I bet you will get that seat!!! Good luck brother!

Thats what I'm saying! If he can do it, so can I! That's why I love that movie, I identify a lot with it. I just want to fly, is that so much to ask for? But in all seriousness, I schedule my flight physical tomorrow and Ill probably be taking it within the next week or so, so I've been getting anxious about all this stuff again.

You got this!!! I can sense the motivation and drive you have strictly through your words on a forum. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your success story and working with you one day!

Thanks man! Look forward to it too. I dont want to be one of the forgotten threads from years past of a guy who couldnt make his WOFT dreams come true..