R44 - What happens when you don't pull the mixture after disengaging the clutch?

Ride

We used to turn it off, but I think too many pilots were forgetting to turn it on and overspeeding on takeoff, so now they want you to leave it on all the time!

So when you are running up and roll the throttle to 80% and nothing happens..... You keep rolling on to 104% and carry out your sprag check and magneto check and still take off with it off and the govenor light blaring at you the whole time? Wow! Hard for me to think too many CFI's or regular pilots would let that happen that often.

Look, we all that fly these robbies know its not in the shut down check list to turn the gov off.

It however IS in the start up checklist to turn it ON. So lets assume for the sake of it all....we turn it off for a reason. Its not a note, or a checked item, but a run away engine when your not paying attention is by far a good reason to turn it off after you roll down on shut down.

Pilots willing to not follow a checklist EVERY time are the ones that have bad habits. Twenty years from now one will be in my lap at start up.

Too many things can distract you if your going off memory. The robbies are so fixated on us flying with that Governor on, its in he check list, its a habit of mine to guard my throttle as I allow the governor to take control as its run up to full power( I was taught this and teach it). That way if it fails on run up I am prepared for it. Lastly before lift off we say this

"Lights"

"Three in the green"

"Fuel"

"Radios"

"Clear left?"

"Clear right?"

Going light.......stable hover.

Repeat.

This routine makes it dang hard to miss something along the way.

Edited by WolftalonID
  • Like 1

Pilots willing to not follow a checklist EVERY time are the ones that have bad habits.

Do you use a checklist during your preflight?

Lots of pilots will claim the importance of a checklist but yet never use one during a preflight… The reality is; there are probably double, if not triple, the number of items on a preflight checklist, if left unchecked, which could lead to catastrophe. Yet day-in-and-day-out, I watch pilots do prefight’s without ever referring to a checklist……

Furthermore, you should include a “clear” call to the “center” and “above”. Additionally, a power-check to confirm your performance planning and engine health.

Edited by Spike

Been a while since I was in a recip, and never touched a Robinson. But, I remember occasionally seeing injectors dripping raw fuel after shutdown if the engine hadn't been leaned out to shut down...

First they do tell you to shutdown after 30 seconds.....so why would they have to tell you to not leave the engine running for longer? Follow the procedures and move on.

Kinda like saying if the engine quits lower collective. I guess they could say that another way as well......like. If the engine quits and you don't lower collective you will die.

There are so many "Notes" throughout the POH, so why not one for this? "Running the engine for more than 30sec will damage vital componants!"

One little sentance that could save someone some money, after an uninformed and ill-attentive pilot takes his chopper!

Following the checklist is a good way to prevent that. Rolling on the throttle carefully until the governor takes over is also a good practice. Failing to control your helicopter and blaming a system that wasn't on because you failed to follow the checklist is just bad for so many reasons.

I placed a "note" on my checklist to never manually roll the throttle past 80% for this very reason of making sure the governor is on. That was after a CFI telling me that he oversped it on takeoff once! He blamed the governor off light,...and the bright Sun! :lol:

Edited by pilot#476398

Spike...

Yes I actually do. Even double check it at each side to make sure any chat or other distraction didnt cause me to skip a step. Its amazing how often that double check reminds me to check something I skiped somehow.

Its probably related to idle talk...as is my nemisis...