Heli skiing

UH60Mike

I had an unusual request from the boss this morning and I am starting my research.

Is there a ski resort or mountain location that will allow a part 91 operator to take non-commercial (owner and his guest) to land at their Heli skiing landing zones?

I understand most are restricted for commercial reasons....everybody wants their piece of the pie.....

I understand that there are other training implications here that we are accomplishing separately.

Any ideas?

• Like 4

Heliskiing is fairly misunderstood. It's a minuscule segment of the industry, so that's understandable.

Most heliskiing isn't done at or near a ski resort, with couple exceptions. Heliskiing is done in the backcountry because that's where the fresh, untracked snow is.

Most of the skiing is done either on USFS or BLM land, therefore a permit is needed for commercial operations. That process is a whole other story I won't get into, but needless to say it's very intensive.

Now as to what you're asking, I can only think of 2-3 places where what you're asking would be theoretically possible. The reason it "might" work, these 3 areas use private land to heliski.

Silverton Mountain in Colorado

Powder Mountain in Utah

Thousand Peaks Ranch in Utah

All 3 of these locations have heliski operations associated with them, and that will be the first of many hurdles you would have to navigate trying to accomplish what you're asking.

Some of the other issues you would have to sort out are:

Insurance

Guide

Pilot experience

Aircraft (Bear paws, basket, appropriate type, etc)

There are many other considerations to take into account, but it would take quite a while to type it up.

If you would like to know more, I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Send me a PM or email and I can fill you in a little more if you're interested.

(so the spambots don't get my email)

f...@h...l.com

• Like 1