Intro and a few questions

First of all thanks to everyone on this forum that has taken the time to answer questions and/or make guides for WOFT. You have all been more helpful than I am sure you will ever realize. This is hands down the best source for information regarding WOFT.

Anyways, I am a recent college grad that is joining the rest of you in this difficult yet rewarding journey. I am 25 years old with a B.S. in Aviation Science. I worked full time while attending school full time and it feels great to finally be done with classes. However, now the real work begins.

I have a question regarding the upcoming selection boards. I am shooting for the board in May 14 which means I must have my packet compete by Mar 14, is this correct? I am getting this info from here: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOgeninfo_boardschedule.shtml

I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet because I am planning on taking this approach suggested by Lindsey.

Call around to find a recruiter who has done WOFT packets successfully before. Then, show up with a folder consisting of:

1. Completed SF-86 (google this form)

2. resume

3. Why I want to be an Army Aviator essay (typed and written)

4. High school and college transcripts

5. LoRs

6. Ready to take PT test at your recruiter's earliest convenience

7. Ready to take and blow away the ASVAB

8. Ready to take and blow away the SIFT.

9. Be post-op from LASIK/PRK and have ALL of your Pre and post op paperwork completed (make LOTS of copies of this stuff and do NOT lose it!). There's a post somewhere around here with the form you need your eye surgeon doc to fill out (Pre and post) and some specific tests he will need to print out in full color.

If you do that, you will be the most squared away person your recruiter will have probably ever seen.

Having just switched recruiters, I'll add a few things to this list:

1. Birth Certificate (original)

2. Passport

3. Driver's License

4. Social Security Card

5. High school and college diplomas (in addition to transcripts)

6. This form (medical prescreen you'll have to fill out-might as well do it in advance)

However, I have been considering speaking to a recruiter to get the ball rolling on my flight physical so I can be sure to have it done in time. I have most of the above ready to go except LOR's.

Should I go to a recruiter now without my LOR's completed to get a flight physical done? Is it possible to schedule and get this done yourself? I would like to be able to go in with everything done to show the recruiter I am serious because I have met these guys in the past and have a feeling they are going to turn me away due to my GPA being lower than the average selection. Long story short - my university issued my diploma before receiving transcripts from another school that I had replaced grades at and it severely hurt my GPA. Instead of a 3.1+ I have a 2.9 institutional and a 2.6 cumulative ( I am not sure which GPA I would be using?).

Again, thanks for all the help and good luck to each of you.

A_U.S._Army_UH-60_Black_Hawk_helicopter_

I'll elaborate more later, as I'm sure everyone else will chime in. As far as LORs go, they're nice to have lined up but they have expiration dates. Focus more on things that don't expire, ie transcripts, SF-86 and such. Get your LORs when you're sure you're ready to go with your package. Many of us here have spent more than a year dealing with setbacks. Study study study for your SIFT. That and your ASVAB should be very important.

Agreed with redpatcher. Take your time and go to a recruiter who has done a WOFT packet and/or an OCS packet. Also, try to get the station commander to work with you. Don't buy any of their "enlist first" crap. If no one will help you at one station, go to another.

It is not possible to schedule your flight physical as a civilian, it must be done through a recruiter. For the most part, this is also true for the SIFT. Others have gone to the nearest college ROTC to get theirs done but it may be difficult. It might be easier to get it done at MEPS.

I believe the date cutoff is only for AD. I could be wrong but I have been told by my recruiter and others that civilians can have theirs in ~10 days before the board convenes. Don't stress too much yet, you will go through a lot of hurdles just to get your packet completed. Just get whatever documents they need and jump through all the hoops. It will be a long road. If it seems like there is a road block, just do what you need to do to move forward! Good luck, man!

To answer your bolded questions, the deadline for you as a civilian is about 10 days prior to the board date. The date you have is for active duty. There was one guy who submitted his packet like 3 days before the board and was selected, but 10 days is a good guideline.

You can't schedule your flight physical unfortunately and it's something that is done towards the end of the process, your recruiter *should* be able to help you with that.

GPA that you are looking for is cumulative. Although yours is lower than average, no one thing will keep you from being selected or make you a selectee. It's a total person concept, so if the rest of your packet is impressive a lower GPA can be looked over, but be prepared to answer why it was low to your battalion board interview.

• Like 1

Greatly appreciate the info. I do not consider it an excuse, but I will be able to explain my GPA. I believe that most everything that happens is your own responsibility. I will accept no less than a 300 on my PFT. I also scored a 99 on the asvab, but I thought these scores were really only viewed as pass/fail.

I understand there's no way to know for sure, but in your opinions does May seem too ambitious? No history of medical problem, allergies, clean record other than a couple dismissed traffic tickets before I was 18, etc. I had PRK ~2 years ago, but I am pretty sure that particular waiver is a given.

Agreed. Get in touch with a recruiter asap. With me, it was one painfully slow step at a time. They wanted me to get qual'd at MEPS before they scheduled my SIFT, then pass the SIFT before security, security before flighty physical, etc. etc. May is definitely doable but you should get the ball rolling to ensure ample time for unexpected delays.

Just saw this. Pipe dream thinking I could get in for this board?

• 18 NOV 13 - Deadline for the JANUARY board is EXTENDED to 27 DEC 13 for the following MOSs: 150U, 153A, 352N, 352S, 353T, 880A, and 881A. Bottom Line: We are still short applicants applying for 150U, 153A, 352N, 352S, 353T, 880A, and 881A! If you have the prerequisite experience for these Warrant Officer MOS' and the desire to submit a packet, then your chances of being selected on the first board of FY 14 is extremely HIGH!
Edit: I think I just got too excited, probably not a reality.

For reference, I walked into my recruiter on April 8th and by July 7th my packet was complete. But then my recruiting battalion didn't send my packet up to usarec for two boards in a row. So it is possible to go somewhat fast, but things happen and next thing you know it's been 7 and a half months since you started.

• Like 1

Welcome to the boards and good luck! As many have said and will say, prepare for setbacks. I have been waiting now for a month and a half for medical records. Also, do your own homework. My recruiter basically told me "you dont have to disclose a surgery if you dont want to". It is YOUR career. Let us know if you need any help. We will try our best but one of our greatest resources is currently in BCT.

Welcome to the boards and good luck! As many have said and will say, prepare for setbacks. I have been waiting now for a month and a half for medical records. Also, do your own homework. My recruiter basically told me "you dont have to disclose a surgery if you dont want to". It is YOUR career. Let us know if you need any help. We will try our best but one of our greatest resources is currently in BCT.

Im going to try and smuggle her a blackberry so that she can still help us. haha Actually, that is if they dont already give you cell phones now in bootcamp...

• Like 1

Im going to try and smuggle her a blackberry so that she can still help us. haha Actually, that is if they dont already give you cell phones now in bootcamp...

Im pretty sure they might give it to her anyways as an assignment since no one knows WOFT better than her haha

It was only a month from the day I walked in to my recruiter's office to the day we had everything done including the battalion board. Talking to him was my first step.

It took 2.5 months to actually get sent up because I had to wait a month for Fort Rucker to grant my exception to policy for my vision.

If you have a smart and motivated recruiter who is willing to pull some strings it is an easy process.

Edited by SBuzzkill

It was only a month from the day I walked in to my recruiter's office to the day we had everything done including the battalion board. Talking to him was my first step.

It took 2.5 months to actually get sent up because I had to wait a month for Fort Rucker to grant my exception to policy for my vision.

If you have a smart and motivated recruiter who is willing to pull some strings it is an easy process.

Very true.

I walked into my recruiter's office with very little information on the WOFT program. Apparently I found a good recruiter, who had never completed a WOFT packet but said he was motivated to learn. We were there until 3am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I got my LORs from a few people I knew (quickly), did my part, etc. Recruiter had me at MEPS and taking the AFAST within 2-3 days. Flight physical was a day or two later. The commander of the recruiting battalion happened to be a UH-60 pilot and helped push stuff through. We submitted for the board and I was selected exactly 17 days after first walking into the recruiter's office with nothing in hand. I was in WOCS (prior service so no Basic) 38 days after walking into the office.

I know several others with similar stories. It has been a few years for me but things haven't changed that much. It is a combination of how motivated you are and how motivated your recruiter is.

For reference, I walked into my recruiter on April 8th and by July 7th my packet was complete. But then my recruiting battalion didn't send my packet up to usarec for two boards in a row. So it is possible to go somewhat fast, but things happen and next thing you know it's been 7 and a half months since you started.

The more I read it seems like having a solid recruiter is worth the search. What was preventing your packet from being submitted?

Thanks, personally I would not risk it by "selectively" leaving certain things out. Thankfully I have nothing to disclose either way.

Duly noted and good to hear. Regardless I am sure I can find things to improve my packet in the coming months until May.

I finished my packet about 4 days before the USAREC board so when I didn't hear in July I figured I had just submitted too late and it didn't make it. I sort of expected that anyways. So I waited two months for the September board to find out and I didn't hear on that board either. Turns out the guy at the recruiting battalion that was responsible for sending packets up was some SFC that was being force retired and he was pissed about it so decided to not do his job and say that he did. Hence my packet sat at my recruiting battalion through the July and September boards. If you can, try and contact your regional WO recruiters once your recruiting battalion has said that your packet was sent up to confirm. I tried a lot of different avenues to try and get confirmation but it ended up taking an influential CW5 to shake things up and get me an answer. Good luck.

Very true.

I walked into my recruiter's office with very little information on the WOFT program. Apparently I found a good recruiter, who had never completed a WOFT packet but said he was motivated to learn. We were there until 3am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I got my LORs from a few people I knew (quickly), did my part, etc. Recruiter had me at MEPS and taking the AFAST within 2-3 days. Flight physical was a day or two later. The commander of the recruiting battalion happened to be a UH-60 pilot and helped push stuff through. We submitted for the board and I was selected exactly 17 days after first walking into the recruiter's office with nothing in hand. I was in WOCS (prior service so no Basic) 38 days after walking into the office.

I know several others with similar stories. It has been a few years for me but things haven't changed that much. It is a combination of how motivated you are and how motivated your recruiter is.

Very nice cant beat that. How has your experience been so far? enjoying it?