Stinger strikes

Black Bear

I was watching some videos of full down autos and noticed a few stinger strikes(one guy in an R-22 scraped his stinger twice during the flare) and realized that I was never taught what constitutes a significant strike. For example, one that might require inspection by maintinance. We have all probably noticed during pre-flight, the evidence of a strike on the undeside of the stinger, without deformation of the stinger itself, but with no knowledge of when the strike occurred or whether the aircraft was inspected afterwards. I don't believe that I have ever had one, but it got me thinking, how noticable are they when you have one and when should it be written up for a better look?

• Like 2

Of the two people that I KNOW have had tail strikes, neither felt it. They heard the grinding sound though. If you think you hit the stinger or felt close to it, just double check on the post flight.

I chuckled, because the two people I saw with a stringer strike ... Felt it... We took the stingers, mounted it on plaques and our BCo CDR at the time presented it to them at the solo rides!

Good times

I was practicing auto's once, and timed the flare a little late. I guess I hit the stinger, as the instructor I was with (not my usual daily instructor) told me I was a little low on that one, and left some red paint on the taxiway.

After he told me I hit it, I KNEW I was gonna get an ass chewing. When I told my daily instructor what happened, he looked at me without changing his facial features, and out-stretched his hand. "Welcome to the Club!" What a relief!!!

Student's should never get an ass chewing for making a mistake in training (unless they are solo and doing something they should not be). The instructors should. Instructors need to protect the aircraft and the student. In any case, stinger strikes are generally not a good thing to get in the habit of, and if you hit them hard enough, more damage can be done. It's generally worse for a Robbie than it is for a Schweizer as the stinger is attached to the vertical stab in such a way that it can damage the vertical stab if it gets compressed on a harder strike. Not something you want to do, but if you find the telltale missing paint and light scrape... well, as long as there is no other visible damage, you are probably all right.

Our maintenance dept puts torque stripe on the stinger to identify when its been inspected after a strike occurs.

If my preflight shows missing paint and bare metal...we dont fly until its cleared for flight by inspection. I always check after my flights too. So far I am in the clear! Which makes me happy....my instructor taught me well.

• Like 2

I was watching some videos of full down autos and noticed a few stinger strikes(one guy in an R-22 scraped his stinger twice during the flare) and realized that I was never taught what constitutes a significant strike. For example, one that might require inspection by maintinance. We have all probably noticed during pre-flight, the evidence of a strike on the undeside of the stinger, without deformation of the stinger itself, but with no knowledge of when the strike occurred or whether the aircraft was inspected afterwards. I don't believe that I have ever had one, but it got me thinking, how noticable are they when you have one and when should it be written up for a better look?

PagesfromR22MM_2_zps318cd29a.jpg

• Like 1