Jan 2014 WOFT Board

I recently took the ASVAB and got an 82 AFQT and 117 GT. I was going to try to do OCS but there is no guarantee you will branch aviation. The guard recruiter here also said I would have to enlist before I even took the SIFT and flight physical. For WOFT do you have to enlist before taking the SIFT and flight physical? Also is 20/50 uncorrected the vision requirement??

Edited by pilothooks

For active duty you won't sign anything until you've been selected and you will have a guaranteed track to flight training. You'll take the SIFT and flight physical without any obligations. As for the vision, I'm not exactly sure if it's 20/40 or 20/50...I think it's 20/50 correctable. However, it's a bit more involved than that and I've seen people with better vision get disqualified for defraction issues etc. Only way to find out is to do the flight phys.

20/50 is the limit for distant vision. You can get LASIK or PRK though if your vision is worse. It's also only required for your initial physical (there's still a requirement annually but it's much less), so if you're like 20/60 you could give it a shot and hope you guess the right letters on the 20/50 line.

Good luck to all of the people going up for the January board! I have just started the packet process and probably won't be ready until mid FY14 as I am still getting all the paperwork together before I visit the recruiter.

Here are my stats:

ASVAB AFQT/GT: TBD
AFAST: TBD
APFT: TBD
EDUCATION: AA Computer Science (working on BS)
FLIGHT: ~15 hours fixed wing PPL (student)
BOARD: TBD
LORS: TBD
OTHER INFO: Prior service Navy (4 years E-4). Multiple awards/warfare pin.

Current Position: Software Engineer for a local hospital

Here's to new beginnings!

Just got this note this morning from USAREC regarding SIFT:

"The SIFT is supposed to be a pass or fail. The score would not factor unless you have two applicants whose credentials are very similar. If they only have one position to fill, they would give it to the applicant with the better score. Normally it wouldn't come down to that though. So in a way the score does matter."

So sounds like in most cases, it wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) matter.

Please provide feedback on my Stats:

GT score: 125

SIFT: Passed-59

BA in Kinesiology, GPA 2.701

Prior Enlisted: Air Force C-130 Loadmaster

LOR's: (AF Maj.) Predator pilot/close friend, (AF Maj.) C-130 Pilot/ close friend, (Ret. Navy Capt.) Former employer/close friend.

APFT: scored a 250, however, it is not viewed by the board as a civilian applicant.

Curious how I compare to other applicants and those that have been selected.

I'm shooting for the jan board as well. All I have left is secure my rec letters from my chain and a senior warrant officer. I have plenty of rec letters from pilots I have flown w as aircrew. And of course, my apft needs to be accomplished. Anybody know what a decent score for that is? Im sitting on a 285 unofficially.

Ya'll can look at the stats of those recently selected here: http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16159-what-are-my-chances-check-out-the-stats-of-selected-members-here/

As far as APFT scores go, obviously you want to score as high as you can but I think generally at least a 260-270 range is to be expected. A CW3 64 pilot recently told me that back/neck problems are very common so you should look to be fit and work on your core as much as possible for your own health benefits, regardless of any PT score.

I thought it was helpful insight! Good luck on your applications guys!

nomdeplumme - that could be true, I suppose, but I've been on message boards for a while and that's the first I've heard of the APFT not being viewed by the Board for civilians.

I have heard from credible sources that the SIFT may not be viewed (except in cases of a "tiebreaker" between two applicants competing for the last slot) by the USAREC Board since the test is so new and they don't have enough data yet to determine its success.

There's an entire stickied thread at the top of the forum all about the battalion board where lots of people have talked about how theirs went. No two are the same, just know yourself and why you want to do this and be able to articulate that and you should be fine.

• Like 1