Jan 2014 WOFT Board

I chose AD over Guard for the lifestyle difference. The idea of moving every few years was the selling point for me.

I chose NG for the opposite reasoning. With a 7 year old and a 4 year old, and a full time public safety job, the NG lifestyle suited my family the best.

And yes our pilots show up much more often than one weekend a month to maintain their minimums. I'm planning to do the same once done at rucker. They are going to have to force me to go home, I plan on being there as much as possible and if I catch a flight great, if not, there's studying I can do while I sit there

• Like 1

Have you guys known since a kid that you wanted to fly? You hear that a lot among pilots, however, I'm amazed at how many of you come from diverse backgrounds.

Wanted to fly in the military as long as I can remember.

I only recently gave serious thought to serving. I always thought helicopters were cool, but never allowed myself to seriously consider joining the military. I was one of those who would think "I'm not the type of person to be able to do that" or "that's just not for me." To try to make a long story shorter, I was trying to work as a conservator in a museum where I had already been I volunteering and working at the desk. HR department did not choose me, but working on a military base (Camp Shelby) I interacted alot with the soldiers that came in and I really started to think about serving. That, mixed with not being selected caused me to rethink my life and I realized there is no reason I shouldn't serve. And moreover, I realized I wanted to serve - it was a gradual decision to join but those are the main points of why I joined. I used to eat lunch outside so I could watch the Chinooks fly by)

So much for keeping it short, but that's my story!

I only recently gave serious thought to serving. I always thought helicopters were cool, but never allowed myself to seriously consider joining the military. I was one of those who would think "I'm not the type of person to be able to do that" or "that's just not for me."

This was me until I was 20 but when I made the decision to join it was quick. Didn't want to give myself time to talk myself out of it.

I always knew I wanted to fly, more so in the military, and had many experiences when I was young that helped me make decisions to solidify that goal. My application for WOFT was relatively painless... Still did my part and was very proactive, OCD about it etc. but I think that is intrinsic to the process. The more you do for yourself the better chance you have (this starts years before you even meet the recruiter who sends you to the board). I did encounter several times where if I hadn't of been as on top of it as I was I definately would not have been selected in Jan. Hell, I was shooting for November... I also got lucky w the recruiter I had, he was familiar w the OCS/WOFT process. I recommend asking a potential recruiter how many people they have boarded/success rate. I began my application in August, ~5 months.

I actually never knew I COULD apply to fly until I started looking into the military two years ago. I wear glasses and I thought they still had the old standard of needed 20/20 vision. And yes, I agree being proactive is essential to the application. There are many times where you as the applicant may have to take the proverbial bull by the horns. After all, no one is more motivated about the application than the applicant!

Your home is Fort Rucker for the ~2 years that you are in flight school and you will be expected to show up every day unless you are on leave or a weekend pass. You will most likely be assigned a detail during the time you are not in a course. I got lucky enough during my first bubble to avoid a long detail and just ended up with PT and an occasional day where I'd go paint something or clean up somewhere. My second bubble I worked brigade staff duty once a week and just attended PT for the other days.

Edited by SBuzzkill

I only recently gave serious thought to serving. I always thought helicopters were cool, but never allowed myself to seriously consider joining the military. I was one of those who would think "I'm not the type of person to be able to do that" or "that's just not for me." To try to make a long story shorter, I was trying to work as a conservator in a museum where I had already been I volunteering and working at the desk. HR department did not choose me, but working on a military base (Camp Shelby) I interacted alot with the soldiers that came in and I really started to think about serving. That, mixed with not being selected caused me to rethink my life and I realized there is no reason I shouldn't serve. And moreover, I realized I wanted to serve - it was a gradual decision to join but those are the main points of why I joined. I used to eat lunch outside so I could watch the Chinooks fly by)

So much for keeping it short, but that's my story!

I had the same aversions to being a Soldier before I joined. Honestly though, I think the "service is just not for me" mentality is symptomatic of major societal problems - specifically that of placing the individual over the group. If it weren't for the resulting imminent erosion in overall Soldier quality, I would be happy to vote for a constitutional amendment mandating service. But that's just me.

Becoming a Soldier was the greatest thing I've ever done, and I wouldn't take it back- ever. I've seen the world, spent time in austere, albeit quite scenic environments, destroyed nouns that needed destroying }:^) etc, etc.

And now I have the absolute honor of becoming an Aviation Warrant Officer in the greatest Army in the world. This is still the "Be All You Can Be" Army, and again, even as an NCO who worked his way up from being a Private, joining was the greatest decision of my life.

• Like 1

;) stay stoked!

Take basic from chow time to chow time, and it'll go by fast!

It's funny, everyone has some idea of what a typical Soldier is, but really, we're every personality type you've ever encountered.

Before I was a Soldier, I was the last person any of my friends or family thought would ever join. I was very much intellectual and individually minded, and not that I've lost these attributes, they've simply been refocused in order for me to meet mission requirements throughout my career. Though autonomy is everything to me (i.e. my ability to accomplish as much on my own as I can), teamwork and interdependence are just as important.

A lot of people think that the Army programs and destroys all individuality. It doesn't. It builds on the strengths you already have and forces you to adapt in ways you never knew you could.

If this is what you want to do, commit wholeheartedly and you'll go far.

Congrats to all of you picked up on this board (I'm a little late to the party I'm afraid, are there any drinks left in the fridge?). On the bus to Rucker from BCT now, start WOCS on the 13th. I'm more than happy to answer any questions about BCT @ Ft. Jackson. Overall it was a really fun experience, and there are some parts I would gladly do over again (like BRM--appreciate it, it's awesome). I was lucky to have some amazing Drill Sergeants. Keep your chin up, shut up, study, work hard, stay out of trouble, and if you have good DS' you'll be recognized as a good soldier. I was fortunate enough to be selected as Soldier of the Cycle for my company, and was even awarded an Army Achievement Medal for it, and I didn't do anything special other than working hard and doing the right thing. Basic is easy (although doing it in the winter sucks majorly).

• Like 2

Congrats to all of you picked up on this board (I'm a little late to the party I'm afraid, are there any drinks left in the fridge?). Basic is easy (although doing it in the winter sucks majorly).

Partys just getting started! So glad I have BCT in July, even if humidity is close to 100%. You'll prob be getting done w BWS by the time I get to Rucker. See you there!