Jan 2014 WOFT Board

Is there anybody on here that would be willing to PM me a sample packet of what theirs looks like. I'm almost done but I just want to make sure I am doing this right the first time, in terms of the order, what is electronic signature vs printed filled out and scanned etc. Not trying to copy anything. I would really appreciate it.

Ok, I'm not trying to be Mr. Frank, but frankly, I don't think that is a good idea and would have a hard time asking anyone to send me their entire packet. There is more than enough information online, including 'sample packets'.

How many have a sub 3.0 college GPAs? I'm just under -- my recruiter said it is a "major" red flag to be under, but I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't consider it a major red flag. As with everything, selections are made on a whole person concept. If your GPA is low but other areas of your packet are above average, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Not much you can change now anyways.

• Like 1

That seems like a silly thing to say to me. I have a 2.8 cumulative and a 3.0 university. I think they look at your cumulative. I was selected for USAF Officer Training School last February as a Combat Systems Officer (graduated last December from college, so GPA hasn't changed).

I would think/hope that the Army is more concerned with the 'whole person concept' i.e. did you work through school, your other accomplishments, etc... Plus, you/we have a college degree which is not required for WOFT, per se. The set minimum GPA is a 2.0 listed on the checklist my recruiter gave me. My recruiter has not made mention of anything negative about that for me, he's actually said the opposite, on multiple occasions.

Along these lines, when I asked my recruiter today about the status of my Rucker approval, he just said, "no need." This is the first I've heard of that! Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Rucker still has to approve the class 1A before submitting to USAREC, correct??

So I finally took the SIFT today. I can attest to the fact that with a little research and some persistent emailing and follow-up phone calls, it is indeed possible to bypass a recruiter to get this done. I was able to take the exam under the direction of a University ROTC officer.

I am a bit disappointed that the several times I have gone to my local recruiter, he has been more concerned with finding reasons NOT to get anything done for me than actually helping. Now that I have the SIFT done, I will be going to a new office. I hope the next might actually provide some assistance and maybe, just maybe, I could be Board ready for January. I'll go ahead and post my stats here; thinking positive!

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 94/128
SIFT: 71
APFT: TBD
EDUCATION: BS, Environmental Engineering, Florida Gulf Coast University (#dunkcity) 3.84 GPA, Magna Cum Laude

FLIGHT: Nada
BOARD: ASAP

Prior Service: 5 years AD USMC, E-5
LORS: Chamber of Commerce Chairman, University VIP, Regional Non-Profit Director, O-3 Army Aviator, CW5 Aviator (awaiting final)

Other: FGCU Student of the Year, Founding Chairman & President for non-profit mentor organization, Founding Director for Statewide High School STEM education challenge, a few other civic oriented leadership roles.

Unfortunately, right now I have a weak pft. I know I'm not at the 270+ that is generally expected. I am working as hard as I can to improve, but I don't want to wait! I have no doubt that if I'm selected I'll be there by the time I hit Rucker.

Any feedback or advice is always appreciated! I am so grateful to have found this site and the community of like-minded warriors. Things like this are exactly why I want to get back in uniform.

Even with a lower PT score I think you're pretty much as guaranteed as it gets Engineer. Your stats look great. I'm glad the ROTC program worked for you with the SIFT as well, I think it's a far better way to do it than deal with MEPS. Also, probably a very good move on your part moving offices, that can be what gets you to WOFT or not sometimes.

Be prepared in your battalion board interview to explain why you're going to the Army as opposed to the Marines. There was a prior AF OCS candidate at my battalion board interview and they grilled him hard about why he was bailing on the AF and going Army. Aside from the obvious opportunity for aviation in the Army, just have some ideas ready for how to articulate what it is the Army has that the the other services don't. I'd suggest something about how only the Army offers the role of a warrant officer aviator and tie that into everything you like about the role of a warrant officer and your love for aviation.

Thanks for the comments. I definitely think I'll be able to express my desire to only be a Warrant Aviator. Many people have tried to talk me into going Commissioned, but I have no desire to go that route. I want nothing more than to be the absolute best technical and tactical expert in whatever airframe I end up in. I don't want to go down the political/command path that Commissioned officers do.

I am certainly trying to! January looks essentially impossible at this point, with the holidays this week and next. If there isn't a March board for civ's, I will have to apply for the waiver.

Unfortunately you are in a tough position. you are too old for OCS in any branch but national guard. IdK if the army is granting waivers for age with the drawdown. Give it your best shot and don't take no for an answer