Instrument or dual rating?

cryesis

Hey guys, Im currently working as a CFI and working towards my A&P license. I have about 15 hours simulated instrument and have soloed in an airplane before. Im looking at going into AG/Utility work for a career once i get the A&P license and build some hours. With wanting to go into that type of work what would be a better option, get the helicopter instrument rating or a fixed wing commercial license?I can only afford to pull off one at the moment so I'm trying to see what one would be most beneficial for the future. Does utility/AG usually want an instrument rating or would they prefer to see a dual rated pilot? Thanks!

Go for what you want, if that happens to be one specific company, fill the blocks for what they want. Look at the job listings for ag and utility and see what the prevailing requirements are. Research the companies you ate interested in and find out what their requirements are. I would venture to say that you would do neither in IMC but it could possibly be an insurance requirement or an attempt to thin the stack of resumes.

You will want your instrument rating.

Dual rating would be most beneficial to a powerline/pipeline deal where they use both types of aircraft.

Your biggest obstacles for entering utility will be time in type and getting OAS carded.

Biggest obstacle in AG will again probably be time in type and possibly needing to have a CDL and work ground crew for a year or something (where you'll usually get a chance to ferry aircraft to get the time in type needed).

What about your fixed wing instrument and then your helicopter Inst add on? That way you'll be an instrument rated helicopter pilot and you can build actual IFR time in airplanes and do it cheaper. Then if anything opens up on the airplane side get your commercial. Chances are you aren't going to build enough time in both to be marketable in both.

Get your helicopter instrument so you'll have at least one complete package to offer. Not having an IFR in either category is really going to limit you down the road.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

No brainer. Get the instrument. If you go the other route, you may lose an opportunity down the road. Furthermore, I can attest, getting the IR later on is much more difficult just because you probably won’t have the time, or the money to accomplish it. Plus, you may be focusing on the utility sector now, but who knows what the future will bring…..

Edited by Spike

• 2 weeks later...

Get The Instrument Rating. Even If The Company Doesn't Require It, You Will Appreciate It If You Ever Go Inadvertant IMC

And if he does go IIMC in an AG ship what they h*ll good will an Instrument rating do for him? They have absolute bare bones instruments even for VFR flying, not even a radio most of the time.

At least if he gets a plank rating he will be able to fly anything an AG company has, and like I said before, most AG companies fly both.

And then after making a boat load of money flying AG, go get an IFR rating in an airplane.

Edited by adam32