The industry taboo subject....."oh no he didnt"

So much so that last night I had a couple hour long talk with my wife about flying helicopters just to make sure she really understands a few of the possible post graduation scenarios, hard to do that without sounding overly pessimistic I found. She says she's still in because it's my big life long dream.

I have a problem with being overly honest with the powers that be at times, this really may be a point at which I keep my yap shut.

Good plan and I 100% concur with my Broham in blue, the Pig Dude….

Not to get too personal, but your wife will be a major factor in this. It sounds like she supports you and this endeavor which is paramount. Funny enough, I had the same kind of discussion with my wife who was none to thrilled about the idea. In fact, I still remember to this day, how disappointed she was when I laid out the “I’m going to fly helicopters” plan while sipping margaritas one day at a Chevys Fresh Mex. Once I spelled out the long-term financial side of the equation, the festive mood turned tense and shortly thereafter, we were walking out the door without finishing our drinks let alone eating….. It was fugly… In the end, she saw how determined I was. In fact, when I brought her to the school I was planning on attending, she said “I can see you doing this”. Bingo! Green light! From there, I’ve been gainfully employed as a pilot ever since (24 years) and still married to my biggest supporter (although we have added 2 additional supporters)….. Do I make a ton of money? No. But I am rich beyond my wildest dreams…..

Lastly, everyone knows once you start; it will be the best most awesomest thing/school ever. Why? Everyone says that. With that said, come back when you finish and/or graduate and hopefully earned a seat. Maybe even one day becoming a HMFIC and if you do, you can pull that video and make one of your own……

Edited by Spike
  • Like 3

I’ve known several guys over the years who have done resort sightseeing rides in various countries…in various aircraft. Not sure if they were/are legal.

Although I have no interest, just curious if there are still countries allowing sightseeing rides (in the informal sense of the word)?

I was working and flying a little in South Korea, and was there during the transition from allowing it…to not allowing it…(high visibility fatality involving a child).

Same thing while I was working in China. An impressive 15 aircraft sightseeing operation was shut down due to a fatality. They let you fly over downtown...like landing in Central Park in NYC...amazing.

The Philippines may still be an option, along with some Caribbean islands perhaps.

Any countries left?

Seems a guy could do it. I’ve known other pilots who have.

I’ve known several guys over the years who have done sightseeing rides in various countries…in various aircraft. Not sure if they were/are legal.

Although I have no interest, just curious if there are still countries allowing sightseeing rides (in the informal sense of the word)?

I was working and flying a little in South Korea, and was there during the transition from allowing it…to not allowing it…(high visibility fatality involving a child).

Same thing while I was working in China. An impressive 15 aircraft sightseeing operation was shut down due to a fatality. They let you fly over downtown...like landing in Central Park in NYC...amazing.

The Philippines may still be an option, along with some Caribbean islands perhaps.

Any countries left?

Seems a guy could do it. I’ve known other pilots who have.

Was flying low and fast just above the water with a kid (paying passenger) on-board...no life jackets or floatation....then snagged the water and balled it up. Low-time pilot in a brand new aircraft.

By my translator:

"They said that the picture shows they are drowned and the accident turned up in An-Meon Island in May 23, 14:24 (2009).

The crashes plane and crashed to the sea. But they can’t escape from the plane since they wears their seat belt.

The people who were killed were a pilot named Mr. Kang (31) and a passenger named Kim (10).

The witness heard that the plane fall to the ocean. And they ran out to the area and saw the plane already fallen 200m distance from the seashore. The witness called 911, and they moved by ambulance. But a pilot was dead in ambulance and a kid was killed in the hospital. The Police are investigating the accident."

I like your style cburg...... I have got to start immediately quoting myself on here...

We think its a great way to appear more crazy than we think we are....shhhhhh the voices are argueing in here again!!!!! :D

Thank you for sharing your story Spike, I shared it with my wife and she enjoyed it as well, very inspirational.

I look forward to getting the ball rolling and having this portion of the paperwork completed. Aren't school loans fun?!

Thank you again everyone that posted, even you Pilot#, I'm sure you were trying to help and ran smack dab into my obstinance.

@ cavgrunt i hope you like the cedar area , my first instructor , left the school i was at and went to ULA , they kept him busy treated him fair , now he is training our military boys in a 206

in La. i believe i have been to 3 different schools in utah , my choices never attended ULA

i have heard good and bad ,,,,, it is each persons opinion hahaahaa

my thoughts

remember that they work for you !!! if you do not like the direction your training is going

get another instructor you control the purse strings , which is their pay check

i would say that 60 % of my ground was just me at home , makes class go alot better

if you do not understand , make them clarify , it their job to do it

there will be days that it seems that the info they are giving you has you spinning faster than the Tail rotor blades , take a deep breath slow it down

there is a big difference between rote memory answers and actually understanding what is happening ............. you need to understand the info and KNOW it

Good luck and happy hoverin

thank you for your service

Interesting post all. Anyone on here go to a "independant" flight school (meaning non Part 141) and have any success getting a foot in the door for that ever important first "gig"?

I'm new to the forum and currently a student at a non 141 school. I chose my school for economic and geographic location reasons. Meaning it was the only one within 100 miles of my current squat spot and I could maintain my current career and lifestyle while learning to "Beat the Air into Submission."

Interesting post all. Anyone on here go to a "independant" flight school (meaning non Part 141) and have any success getting a foot in the door for that ever important first "gig"?

I'm new to the forum and currently a student at a non 141 school. I chose my school for economic and geographic location reasons. Meaning it was the only one within 100 miles of my current squat spot and I could maintain my current career and lifestyle while learning to "Beat the Air into Submission."

I went to a "mom and pop" shop. I started working as a commercial helicopter pilot with around 100 rotorcraft hours in my logbook. I was able to get work via connections made via the "mom and pop" shop I learned to fly at and because of the type of aircraft I learned to fly in.

Thanks JayBee

My instructor said pretty much the same however, I'm old enough now to take a healthy dose of second opinion especially when it comes to the amount of money we are talking about here. And given the fact that he is the one that will be receiving said amount of money. "Trust but verify."

No problem, this is how it used to be done in the industry - not so much anymore. Best chances to get hired these days is like others on this site say - R22 CFI. It is possible however, I know a few other besides myself that never did CFI, went straight away into Frost, Cherry, Cranberry, Powerlines or Tours but those kind of jobs are few and far between these days.

• 1 month later...

What makes the Upper Limit Aviation video(s) so bad?

Everything?

I usually try to stay away from rants and raves, but this thread got me severely irritated.

Nothing I can say which the other guys haven't already said, and therein lies the benefit. On this forum, when you have that many of the old timers and forum addicts all saying the same thing, pay attention. Or learn the hard way, it's your choice really. Good luck though.

ULA has brought me in as an evaluator, trainer and consultant.

I arrived in SLC yesterday, will be onsite today to evaluate and further discuss initiatives.

I will be training all of their Utah CFIs to be qualified as FITS SBT Facilitators thru the 16th of April.

At Heli Expo they committed to modernizing their flight training programs.

As with any school I Brand with, "I hope to make improvements in the training offered" and work towards developing pilots that have both flying and head working skill sets.

I am also evaluating the effectiveness of their SMS.

Any school that is willing to have me "look them over" is trying to get better.

Those of you that know me understand that I am brutally honest and suggest solutions.

This is not an endorsement of this or any school.

Any of you that are training at ULA, feel free to talk with me.

Mike Franz

HelicopterSBT

www.modernflighttraining.com

+A school that hires on their graduates: All schools would be graded a "F" because no school can hire all of their CFI applicants. What constitutes a good school or bad school in this area?

Not true.

Consider first that few flight schools train only applicants who intend to make a career of it. Many students start, but never finish. Those who achieve their instructor certification and move on are realtively few. Look at a school such as Quantum that has a long history of hiring their students. They don't hire all of them, but who says they need to hire all of them? Not every one of them will necessarily meet the schools standards to be hired. Perhaps they don't instruct well.

A school that hires its own graduates may not hire them all, but that's really not what's important. Take a look at the Quantum site and see their student list going back over the last few years, and see the progression. They cite who got what checkride done in a given month, and you can trace the instructors back through their certification. It indicates which ones were hired. Again, not all that get their instructor certification intend to teach at a school. It may be a police department that sent an officer to get the certificate, but who isn't staying to teach. Who knows? That not every student is hired as an instructor isn't any sort of ringing condemnation of the school.

Find one that does hire their students, then become the sort of student they'll hire. Problem solved.