Amazon Tests Drone Delivery

Hobie

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/12/01/amazon-bezos-drone-delivery/3799021/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU

Amazon.com is testing delivering packages using drones, CEO Jeff Bezos said on the CBS TV news show 60 Minutes Sunday. The idea would be to deliver packages as quickly as possible using the small, unmanned aircraft, through a service the company is calling Prime Air. FAA plans to have rules/regs in place by 2015. FedEx spoke of using drone delivery in 2009, again subject to FAA and logistics

Do any of you know if there is helicopter industry groups involved in developing these FAA standards? We all really need to band together as this is the future and I view it as a huge safety issue for helicopters.

• Like 1

It looks cool, but will never happen! I think Amazon's announcement is more of a publicity stunt than anything. Even if the FAA was able to regulate UAVs by 2015 (which I highly doubt) the laws will be so restrictive it would not be a cost effective delivery method.

I won't even even get into the liability issues once the fist box falls on someone's head or a kid runs out to get his new toy and is injured.

I agree with McGavin...publicity stunt.

I am involved with FPV and have been flying model heli's for years. This is many moons away.

1) Liability (insurance)

2) GPS accuracy (or FPV visibility)

3) Battery capacity (not there yet)

I like the idea of a drone delivering pizza's though!

All true. Also, how will they will they deal with wire detection? Currently these test ships are RC scale size, but why couldn't they be larger with a gas engine? And operate from existing airports.

Consider this: Rather than they drop in at your front door, they land on the FedEx truck roof. Rendezvous with drivers already in the field to deliver or pickup high priority high margin packages.

Point is, I expect to see some form of these ships operating commercially in a few years. And I feel pilots need to provide input in creating the UAV regs. For our safety in the air.

I've been a delivery boy for Fedex. Tons of packages get delivered every day by an army of trucks. Just one truck alone carries around 150+ packages. There would have to be a sh*t-load of these little things flying around? They'd cover the air like a swarm of bees! I just don't see it happening.

Now if Amazon wants to start using manned helicopters to deliver packages to remote areas, then that would be a cool job!

I've been a delivery boy for Fedex. Tons of packages get delivered every day by an army of trucks. Just one truck alone carries around 150+ packages. There would have to be a sh*t-load of these little things flying around? They'd cover the air like a swarm of bees! I just don't see it happening.

Now if Amazon wants to start using manned helicopters to deliver packages to remote areas, then that would be a cool job!

If you get that job, and they say they are looking for more pilots, don't forget me !

You know what they say in airborne cargo ops...boxes don't bitch !

The unfortunate reality is that we are seeing the beginning of the end for helicopter pilot careers. (Whether it's 5, 10, or 50 years away)

All the optimism in the world can't hide the fact that robotics is the future, and eventually there will be no pilots in the cockpits of helicopters, or airplanes for that matter. It's a simple business decision at the end of the day. Our favorite futuristic Sci-Fi movies are generally a good sign of the things to come.

The technology will continue to improve at an exponential rate and before you know it, companies are making one time investments in UAV's for any number of utility operations instead of paying out wages and salaries to humans.

Recreational flying will be the last occupation available.

• Like 1

With a former stoner who couldn't find his way to White Castle piloting the Enterprise, and Bruce Willis "driving" a flying cab, I'm sure they'll be plenty of work in the future for us stick-wigglers. Besides if robots do take over it'll be the jobs at Walmart, Starbucks, and McDonalds that go first,...and of course bitchy girlfriends! Can't wait for those sexbots! :D

• Like 2

How will UAVs cope with rain, snow, 30 kt winds. EMI issues, wires, trees blocking the driveway, birds attacking it?

UAVs suffer from high DA just like manned aircraft. How will a high DA affect its 5 lb, small area payload?

With a whopping 10 mile radius and one package, I see an electric car carrying multiple packages a far better option.

The unfortunate reality is that we are seeing the beginning of the end for helicopter pilot careers. (Whether it's 5, 10, or 50 years away)

All the optimism in the world can't hide the fact that robotics is the future, and eventually there will be no pilots in the cockpits of helicopters, or airplanes for that matter. It's a simple business decision at the end of the day. Our favorite futuristic Sci-Fi movies are generally a good sign of the things to come.

The technology will continue to improve at an exponential rate and before you know it, companies are making one time investments in UAV's for any number of utility operations instead of paying out wages and salaries to humans.

Recreational flying will be the last occupation available.

Landowners used to feel free to shoot at helicopters or low flying aircraft flying over their property. That was in the good old days when there was at least one human in there. What do you think will happen when there is no chance of killing anyone when that delivery drone flies by ?

There are many aspects to this that have not been well thought out.

Landowners used to feel free to shoot at helicopters or low flying aircraft flying over their property. That was in the good old days when there was at least one human in there. What do you think will happen when there is no chance of killing anyone when that delivery drone flies by ?

There are many aspects to this that have not been well thought out.

Aim, shoot, collect free package.

It’s my understanding they are developing drone technology to avoid hazards such as wires, other aircraft, other drones, weather and so on. Even so, the reality is, once these things are launched, Amazon is on the hook for the liability. Shoot, I bet the lawyers are already salivating while drafting damage claims for when things eventually go bad….

• Like 1

It’s my understanding they are developing drone technology to avoid hazards such as wires, other aircraft, other drones, weather and so on. Even so, the reality is, once these things are launched, Amazon is on the hook for the liability. Shoot, I bet the lawyers are already salivating while drafting damage claims for when things eventually go bad….

Agreed. Collision avoidance likely isn't a problem. On the contrary, with properly mapped terrain any obstacles are pre-programmed in their little brains. On top of that, smart avoidance technology is already a reality. There are some very cool videos on YouTube of a company developing mini-drones that fly in swarms and adapt to changing conditions. It's amazing stuff...

My personal belief is that the drone market will cater more to individual use drones for things like GoPro cameras. Similar to the remote controlled drones already available, in the near future a user will be able to have camera carrying drones follow them around via some hands free bluetooth/GPS technology. Imagine your buddies skiing down the mountain with a small handful of personal drones documenting every turn. Or a small army of drones used by video producers for any number of events. (Weddings, corporate functions, advertising, etc. etc.) Two areas will continue to improve and define the capabilities: 1.) Battery power/life and 2.) Smart brains

This whole free and open use of airspace is an entirely different territory that will be plagued with liability road blocks. (And that's probably a good thing)