Prior service shipping directly to WOCS

Since I'm prior Army service I won't be doing BCT and will be shipping directly to WOCS, but I haven't worn a uniform in about 5 years now and really only have one serviceable uniform that I kept. What is the situation with getting a full issue before WOCS? I'm shipping from MEPS on Jan 29 for the 13 Feb WOCS class so I'm assuming this factors in the time I'll need to get clothing and CFI issue but just not sure how that process goes without going to BCT first or being AD and having everything you need already.

Also, I'm sure it works similarly for people that went to BCT, but how does the possession movement go? I'd prefer to pack up my essentials in my truck and do a partial DTY move and just drive to WOCS, leave the truck and essentials in the lot during school, and have a POV and some things right when I get done but I'm really not sure how it works in my situation. My recruiters are typically at a loss, just figured I'd ask on here to see if anyone has been in my situation prior to going to WOCS. Thanks in advance!

I haven't seen it in a while (haven't looked really) but when I saw it before my understanding was that you got your full uniform issue either at MEPS or once you get down there.

Also, from my understanding of the move down there was that it wasn't a PCS move until you completed WOCS. Once you complete WOCS you are then given PCS orders and you can move your stuff and family. I guess you could try to move all your stuff, keep your weight tickets, and hope for the best but more than likely they're going to want to put you on a plane from MEPS (But still just my $.02)

Sign into 1st WOCC in your civilian clothes. Your information will be given to Clothing Sales. You walk down there in the first day or two and get your full issue. You simply sign for your stuff at Clothing Sales. No big deal.

You will not receive PCS orders until at or very near graduation from WOCS. If you move anything down prior to then do not expect to be reimbursed for it. Probably not going to happen. Some people do drive down but people come to WOCS from many different paths (NG, current enlisted, inter-service, etc.). Since you are street to seat they are probably going to put you on a plane and fly you down. Planning to do otherwise is probably not going to be a successful argument - but then again different MEPS do different things so it may not hurt to ask but just don't plan on it. I can just about guarantee you though that even if successful you would not be reimbursed for your expenses.

Sign into 1st WOCC in your civilian clothes. Your information will be given to Clothing Sales. You walk down there in the first day or two and get your full issue. You simply sign for your stuff at Clothing Sales. No big deal.

You will not receive PCS orders until at or very near graduation from WOCS. If you move anything down prior to then do not expect to be reimbursed for it. Probably not going to happen. Some people do drive down but people come to WOCS from many different paths (NG, current enlisted, inter-service, etc.). Since you are street to seat they are probably going to put you on a plane and fly you down. Planning to do otherwise is probably not going to be a successful argument - but then again different MEPS do different things so it may not hurt to ask but just don't plan on it. I can just about guarantee you though that even if successful you would not be reimbursed for your expenses.

Excellent info, sounds about right. I'm assuming that the PCS orders would include transporting my POV to me in Rucker after WOCS? Also, I've heard people say that renting a car for the week or so before WOCS starts is a good idea as there's a lot of running around to do. Seems like a good idea to me, would you suggest that?

If you've got the money to spend and know you'll be free for a few days before getting locked down a rental car isn't a bad idea. Necessary? No. Nice to have? Sure. You can explore and get around a bit instead of hoofing it. Don't spend the extra money if you don't have it though. It's not required to do what you need to do.

There is a reason that people often refer to it as the "thousand dollar dot" though. No matter how much you bring and think you have your bases covered there will be expenses right before and during WOCS that add up to about that amount.

• Like 1

A bit of info and PCSing after WOCS. I received my order literally three days before my report day, due to the government shutdown. I've talked to reps at B Co and they will not let you take Permissive TDY between WOCS and B Co. I even tried explaining my situation and they said no. They are allowing me to take leave until the end of Christmas exodus though to move. I'm not sure if this helps any or not, just thought I'd make sure you are aware of it though.

A bit of info and PCSing after WOCS. I received my order literally three days before my report day, due to the government shutdown. I've talked to reps at B Co and they will not let you take Permissive TDY between WOCS and B Co. I even tried explaining my situation and they said no. They are allowing me to take leave until the end of Christmas exodus though to move. I'm not sure if this helps any or not, just thought I'd make sure you are aware of it though.

What would the living situation be like in that case? If you come out of resident WOCS and you have no time to find housing and get that set up do they put you up in barracks until you can get your own housing figured out on the weekends and after work?

Aviators are required to report to WOCS 10 days prior to the techs. During this time you inprocess Ft. Rucker, which can easily be done in a day. The rest of the days you do can run around and look for housing. I let the housing office know I needed a house on post upon my graduation and afew weeks later they had me one reserved. I'm taking 14 days of leave starting the day after my graduation to move my wife and stuff down. It's not anything to stress about. Like I said just let the housing officer know, or somewhere you like off post during those 10 days you'll need a place after graduation. Then take ordinary leave after WOCS to move your stuff.

Aviators are required to report to WOCS 10 days prior to the techs. During this time you inprocess Ft. Rucker, which can easily be done in a day. The rest of the days you do can run around and look for housing. I let the housing office know I needed a house on post upon my graduation and afew weeks later they had me one reserved. I'm taking 14 days of leave starting the day after my graduation to move my wife and stuff down. It's not anything to stress about. Like I said just let the housing officer know, or somewhere you like off post during those 10 days you'll need a place after graduation. Then take ordinary leave after WOCS to move your stuff.

Perfect, thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any off post housing areas that people have particularly liked during their time at Rucker?

There are a couple subdivisions outside the main Enterprise gate that are always packed with flight school students. Some near the Enterprise back gate that are less popular but I think only because nobody looks there. It's a good area and more convenient to a lot of places you'll be going. You'll be closer to most of your flight school buddies with the first option.

Go to Ozark if you like country living. Daleville if you want to live right up on post and don't mind living in the slums miles away from the cool after school hangouts.Don't be tempted by Dothan. The commute on top of your already busy schedule will drive you insane.

Somewhat but not really at all related--how is AT&T's service down in the Enterprise/Rucker area? I've heard in the past that it sucks, and Verizon is the way to go. Just curious if it has improved at all.