Just selected 64's today!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had my selection today and I got 64's like I wanted. I want to thank everyone here for all of the support that was given to me when I was trying to put my packet together and get everything done.

I would love nothing more than to pay it forward, so if anyone has any questions about anything from WOCS through advanced airframe please feel free to ask.

Thanks again for all the support on this forum. This place is honestly the best source for student pilots and aspiring pilots.

• Like 4

I was wondering, how hard is it to get 64's? That's what I want as well. Y

It depends on a lot of things and how many slots there are and the needs of the army at the time. The last class that selected had 1 58, 2 64s and the rest blackhawks. We had 4 58s and 4 64s and the rest blackhawks. I've also seen classes that went all blackhawk. It's hard to project what selections will be like.

Apaches aren't the most popular airframe here in most classes. Most people want 60's or 58's from what I've seen. From what I've noticed it seems like the street to seat classes have more people wanting Apaches than the prior service classes but even so I have yet to know of a class that had more than 3 or 4 people total wanting Apaches.

Either way just do your best while you are here and get as high on the OML as you can.

Good Luck

It depends on a lot of things and how many slots there are and the needs of the army at the time. The last class that selected had 1 58, 2 64s and the rest blackhawks. We had 4 58s and 4 64s and the rest blackhawks. I've also seen classes that went all blackhawk. It's hard to project what selections will be like.

Apaches aren't the most popular airframe here in most classes. Most people want 60's or 58's from what I've seen. From what I've noticed it seems like the street to seat classes have more people wanting Apaches than the prior service classes but even so I have yet to know of a class that had more than 3 or 4 people total wanting Apaches.

Either way just do your best while you are here and get as high on the OML as you can.

Good Luck

Why do most ppl want the 60? What about the 47s? Are those rare? What is the best way to pick your airframe? I've heard apaches aren't that popular... Why not?

@Talon64

People want what they want it's hard to say what makes them want an airframe over another.

I would guess that people realize the 64's flight time is about to start dropping considering the fact that less and less CABs are deploying. 64's get a lot of flight time deployed, that's where they make thier money.

60s have a different mentality and a different mission. A lot of people want 60s because they have flown in them or they like the mission.

Overall you can't go wrong with any of the airframes. I'm sure you will learn to love any of the airframes in the Army inventory.

I have been a 60 pilot since 2007 and I love it. If they army offered me a 64 transition I'd take it but I wouldn't regret any of my time in the 60.

@Talon64

People want what they want it's hard to say what makes them want an airframe over another.

I would guess that people realize the 64's flight time is about to start dropping considering the fact that less and less CABs are deploying. 64's get a lot of flight time deployed, that's where they make thier money.

60s have a different mentality and a different mission. A lot of people want 60s because they have flown in them or they like the mission.

Overall you can't go wrong with any of the airframes. I'm sure you will learn to love any of the airframes in the Army inventory.

I have been a 60 pilot since 2007 and I love it. If they army offered me a 64 transition I'd take it but I wouldn't regret any of my time in the 60.

That was great input! Thanks. I'm definitely conflicted about which airframe I would pick if I had the opportunity. I have heard that it was the lack of hours for which made the 64 less popular. Is it just about no flight time at all in a non deployed setting? I mean, they gotta stay proficient, right? I just want to make sure I make an educated decision if given the opportunity to choose. I would also love the chinook, but I didn't notice any of those being an option recently. I absolutely be stoked to fly anything. Ever since I was a kid I dreamed about the apache haha. Who didn't, right.

How hard is it to go from airframe to airframe? I knew someone that allegedly flew all of the army inventory. He's a CW5.

Talon64...

Yes all airframes have semiannual minimums. UH60L / M is 48 hours semi annual and of course there are minimums for weather, sim, night unaided and goggles. I wont go into specifics. You can be guaranteed minimums which amounts to a little over 100 hours a year in most airframes. I will tell you there is a big difference between currency and proficiency, sometimes I feel the Army doesn't really understand that. By no means do minimums make you a proficient pilot. A 64 pilot stateside may fly a little more than minimums but there aren't a lot of real world missions for a 64 pilot stateside. Wheras other airframes may be deployed in support of search and rescue, humanitarian aid or border support. I have heard about 64's being used to support counter drug and border support but only for their FLIR support and station time.

You may not have seen any 47 airframes being selected recently because they are all closed up for FY 14 or so the rumor goes.

To answer your question about multiple advanced airframes. Well... There is actually a paragraph about that in AR95-1 that says that aviators will not receive multiple airframe ratings. I guess the Army doesn't encourage it, But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You occasionally see that an Aviator at the grade of CW5 has flown just about everything but is kinda rare for that.

You will typically see National Guard aviators receiving multiple ratings as their state has the ability to send them to AQC for the multiple airframes in their inventory. Guys in the 160th SOAR Sometimes transition from 64's to 60's or from 58's to 47's it just depends on the needs of the regiment and the what they want you to fly. In 2007-2009 timeframe the 64 branch was taking AD untracked warrants who wanted to transition from 60's to 64's. There was a huge shortage for gun pilots and a few people went that route. Keep in mind though, this is just a generalization anything is possible, but not practicable especially considering the fiscal limitations put on the force.

Overall, you could expect to stay with your primary airframe for a while. This of course depends upon the Army and it's needs for your skills,for example take the 58. If the rumors are true, many of those pilots will need to either get out or, transition to a new aircraft.

Do your research, ask around the forums and come up with a wish list from 1-4. Don't count any of them out or chances are that's the one you will get ;).

In BOLC when you go see all the different airframes and get a briefing by the pilots you will probably have CW3 Hayes(I think was her name) as your briefer for the Apache. If she doesn't make you want to fly -64s then you just don't have a soul.

It was pretty spread out. It was one of those great classes to where everyone got exactly what they wanted. No broken hearts at all.

Amazing. Only rarely does the army make everyone happy...

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Trained Killers, nightmare515. I hope you get out to the field quick and get to experience a live fire Table 7/Table 8 enroute to a deployment. When you see what a laser and fire control computer can do you'll understand why the AH-64 is the best attack helicopter ever built.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering, how hard is it to get 64's? That's what I want as well. Y

It just depends on how many are offered, what your class wants and where you are on the OML. Know if classes where guns went last, with my class they went first. Know of PT failures (very bottom of OML) who got 60s in one class, 64s in another class. If you're not the top of the class it comes down to luck.

64 is looking like the airframe of choice for career progression, at least for the next 6-8 years. The need for pilots and instructor pilots is about to skyrocket in comparison to the other airframes.

What is leading you to this conclusion?