The Kiowa going away is looking more and more likely.

That article is roughly 9 months old. A lot has happened since then. The Army is fighting just to keep the observation platform on the Table of organization and equipment. The Lakota was implemented to be a cheaper version of utility and medevac ops domestically (correct me if I'm wrong). I thoroughly believe that once the Kiowa goes away, any money that was allotted for that platform will be sucked up into big Army and the Observation platform will die forever.

From BCT?

Well the USO handed us a huge bag of candy and I naturally went and got two huge coffees at the airport on the quick, so naturally I'm a bit hyped up and ready to rock block leave and the rest of BCT. Haven't slept for about 36 hours. Gonna do some flyin' over the break. Music sounds amazing after 7 weeks. I'm in a damn fine mood. In-flight wifi rocks!

I spoke with a guy tonight who's involved in this decision making process. He appreciates the role the Kiowa has played since its inception, and particularly over the past decade, but he insists from an economic standpoint there's no other way forward. As far as the active Army is concerned, this is the path they plan on taking. I asked him to put odds on it but he refused, acknowledging that the emotional and political battle was still a significant hurdle standing in the way.