Are the helicopter schools so busy

It probably depends on the kind of information you were wanting. If it was job info, they may not bother replying if thy don't have anything available. That seems to be the norm with any operator in this business, but if it was info about attending their school I would think they would get back to you pretty quickly. It has been my experience that phone calls or emails generate a better response. It's rare to get correspondence by mail from a prospective student.

Unfortunately based on my personal experiences; I'd say your experience is par for the course.

If I had it to do all over again I would check out Mauna Loa. Upfront, honest, friendly and professional. If you want to stay mainland, then Palm Beach Helicopters would top my list - again, upfront, honest, friendly and professional.

Bristow while a great school... too many hidden fees (pre,post, fuel and ground training on the "flight" side of the house NOT covered by GI Bill). With Sikorsky shutting down 300 part supply a few years ago my instrument program too extremely too long; really hard to schedule aircraft. JMHE.

I'll probably get unknown number of naysayers disagreeing with this one but - high altitude training is over rated. I trained at sea level and my first job was at high DA (mountain). I'm not saying its not different up there; I'm saying if you were trained right then adapting is no big deal.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; its not your stick skills that gets you a job - its what else you bring to the table.

PS - the schools I mentioned have their schedule of fees clearly posted on their websites. I would think twice and then think again about attending any school that does not advertise a schedule of fees.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll probably get unknown number of naysayers disagreeing with this one but - high altitude training is over rated. I trained at sea level and my first job was at high DA (mountain). I'm not saying its not different up there; I'm saying if you were trained right then adapting is no big deal.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; its not your stick skills that gets you a job - its what else you bring to the table.

Agreed

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more. DA is DA; you will get that most anywhere you train.

Training at sea level can translate into a faster learning curve due to enhanced (vs. diminished) machine performance and maneuvering capabilities. You're also forced to learn and operate within adverse seasonal weather scenarios in the northern coastal areas, which is great experience in and of itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to at least 20 helicopter School to get some informations from them, but only 3 of them answered. Are they so busy, do they make to much Money or are they already out of Business? Have no idea what is going on :-)

Probably one third of the schools you contacted are no longer active. Another third don't even look at their generic "info @ ***" email addresses. The other one third, well a few of them got busy, and a few answered.

Email may be a great way to reach out to multiple people, but unfortunately it is also the most ignored form of communications, and if you are under 21, you don't even have an email address anymore...why? You talk on Fb, twitter, Snap chat, and helicopter forums!

Call them, but less than half of those you leave messages with bother to call you back. Just the way it is when busy flying and smaller operators. No one claimed that helo schools were master marketers....

One operation was........ <_<

Actually, there were two……

One failed because the main goal was to make money…..

The other one succeeded because its main goal was to produce quality pilots……

The law of diffusion of innovation: People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it…..

• Like 1