Infant hearing protection

HeliNomad

This is maybe a question for VIP pilots or EMS. Pretty soon here I might be flying an infant. I'm squared away with all the regs in terms or carrying and what not but I wanted to ask about what kind of hearing protection do you recommend. The smallest headset I have is a David Clark youth headset which is way too big. Obviously I don't need comms I just need protection. Aircraft is an EC-130B4 in VIP config.

Thanks.

• Like 1

If the kid is under 3-4 it is very unlikely they'll stand to have anything on their head... you can try some of the very small headsets or hearing protection devices to have on hand... but typically they don't wear anything.. it isn't like they fly all the time...

If the kid is under 3-4 it is very unlikely they'll stand to have anything on their head... you can try some of the very small headsets or hearing protection devices to have on hand... but typically they don't wear anything.. it isn't like they fly all the time...

Yea I agree with this. Obviously someone will be sitting with the infant the entire flight and I won't be preoccupied at all but I just wanted the guy to be comfortable. I sort of imagine some sort of hat or beenie with built in hearing muffs. Does that exist? A new borns head is so soft I hate the idea of something clamping on his little head.

Wow good find! I don't see any specs...I worry it wouldn't be enough. I mean the EC-130 is pretty quiet but still....

Ask your Dr...some say that loud noises depending on the frequency(?) won't hurt their hearing...That's only what I've heard from people with loud bass in their cars so take it with a grain of salt...

Ask your Dr...some say that loud noises depending on the frequency(?) won't hurt their hearing...That's only what I've heard from people with loud bass in their cars so take it with a grain of salt...

Did that already and he said...get hearing protection...period. I agree. You can't expose a kid to sustained high decibels with out adequate hearing protection. I was really just wondering if anyone did it regularly either in EMS or VIP.