Do Helicopters Have Keys, and Other Stupid Questions

overtappeal

Hi, guys, I'm writing a book, and I really, really hope you helicopter experts can help me out here.

So, in one crucial scene in the book, some characters have to make their way to a helicopter during an attack. The thing is, I've searched all over the web and I haven't been able to find answers to this one question, so if anyone here can help me out, I'd be much appreciated it, because I have absolutely NO IDEA about helicopters.

Here's my totally dumb question:

Are there "keys" for helicopters? You know, like how cars need keys to turn the engine? Do helicopters have similar keys, too? If Yes, are the same keys used to open the doors into the cockpit?

So, in my story, I explain why the bad guys don't steal the helicopter because no one knows how to fly it -- so the pilot doesn't bother locking up the helicopter. (Cause, obviously, it's not the same as stealing a car.) Is this totally off base?

DO you need a key to open the cockpit door, "turn on" the helicopter engine, and fly it?

Thanks, anyone!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_White_House_helicopter_incident

Keys are not used to turn turbine helicopters on, however, the Army now requires keys to their aircraft since this particular incident. All the keys do is enable to ignition source for the turbine engine, but they do not start the engine by turning them.

Both MD500s I flew at my last job had keys. But as you said, it only disabled the electrical system. And a different key unlocked the door.

But for your story, that may be more of an exception than the rule and your readers may say "What a clown… helicopters don't have keys!"

Edited by Flying Pig

Write your spot, then submit it to a few pilots for review so it can be "technified" correctly.

I made that word up but its a good one lol.

Hey, guys, thanks so much for the replies!

The helicopter in question is a Eurocopter as350. I used that one because I Googled the most common news choppers, and that one came up. It's really a minor part of the book (a brief scene), but I'm a stickler for facts, and I wanted to get it right.

Would a pilot of such a craft need two separate keys -- one for the cockpit door and one to turn on the electrical system?

Generally, no key is required for anything. Our helicopters have no locks, and no keys. We do carry a couple of keys in the cockpit, for the hangar and fuel system, but that's it. For most helicopters used like this, there would be no key for anything. It's not impossible that there would be door keys, or a key for the electrical system, but most likely not.

Generally, no key is required for anything. Our helicopters have no locks, and no keys. We do carry a couple of keys in the cockpit, for the hangar and fuel system, but that's it. For most helicopters used like this, there would be no key for anything. It's not impossible that there would be door keys, or a key for the electrical system, but most likely not.

So it really is just a matter of, "There is no point locking a helicopter--or needing a key to "turn one on"--because no one would steal a helicopter becuase most people can't fly it"?

For the pilot, it really is just about climbing into the cockpit and knowing what to turned on, then take off, etc?

It is also a requirement to carry the aircraft flight manual in the cockpit, and in it it tells you exactly what to do to start it and fly it.

In Australia in the 90s, some teenagers broke into a fenced compound where a helicopter belonging to an electricity company was kept. They found the flight manual and got the engine started. One kid then tried to take off, the other got scared and jumped out just as the machine rolled over and chopped him to bits.

On some security controlled airfields (most of them, these days) there is a requirement to disable all aircraft. Our S76 had door locks, but we also had to devise a way to disable it. I decided to pull the rotor brake on, and attach a cut-proof steel cable from the collective to the brake handle, with a combination lock. With no hydraulics, you can't lift the collective to free the rotor brake. Somebody could start the engine/s, but with the rotor brake on, no hydraulic pressure can be generated, so it still wouldn't go anywhere. It would stuff the machine, though.

For the record, the AS350 has door locks, but no starter key like the MD500. Every EC120 (AS350's little brother) uses the same Fiat key for the doors. I have never seen anyone actually ever take the key out of the MD500 I have flown. I would not be difficult to take a helicopter as long as you know how to fly it.

There is a cable tv show that shows autos being stolen regularly. They put out bait cars with cameras inside, and wait for thieves to show up. It happens all the time. But helicopters and airplanes rarely get stolen. It happens, but very rarely. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble to lock them up and require keys. Plus, the doors are so flimsy that anyone who really tries can get one open in a matter of seconds. Bottom line, there just aren't many people who are willing to try to steal a helicopter, knowing they will crash it immediately if they do get it started. Rated pilots just don't steal aircraft.