Eye Exam for Medical

PondJumper

I am in the same boat. I am almost 47 and will have to have corrective lenses before my next 2nd class exam in February. I am going with contacts though!!...sorry but I had to laugh when you described the glasses (not making fun because I feel your pain, but the image that went through my mind was comical to say the least) :)

• Like 1

I thought of using contacts as well but I was told not legal to fly with them.

Explanation: if you should have an accident and one or both contacts fall out and then you can't see to get out of the wreckage, you could die.

I also have a red green color deficiency and was told I could not wear any sunglasses that may help. (I found that rose tint helps me). Explanation: what if the glasses should fall off my face when I really need them. These answers came from OK medical. Just sayin...

I had the "must possess" limitation for several years, but my near vision actually improved as I aged, and my last several physicals have been with no restrictions. I've had examiners put it on even though I passed the exam, rationalizing that the FAA would be suspicious if anyone my age didn't require glasses at least for near vision. Pure crap, and I demanded removal of the restriction. It's still a strain to pass the near vision test, but so far I've been able to do it, albeit after lots of straining and rereading letters. I've never had a problem with passing the far vision test. I actually purchased glasses a year or so ago, and not cheap ones. They get me to 20/10 for far vision, and easily 20/20 for near vision. I got tired of using cheap reading glasses, and bought good no-line progressive lenses. The good ones aren't cheap, but they work.

I thought of using contacts as well but I was told not legal to fly with them.

Explanation: if you should have an accident and one or both contacts fall out and then you can't see to get out of the wreckage, you could die.

Same with actual glasses, you might have a smashed up face and glasses knocked off or broken and still die in the wreckage!

I was borderline also with vision. The first several years of flying were no problem with vision and my mid twenties I had the AME tell me next year I won't pass you unless you get glasses. So I had a heads up and some denial along the way thinking it was the lighting of the closet where the eye chart was located. So I went to an ophthalmologist who was also a pilot. I elected for contacts and was concerned about lenses and frames for flying NVGs. Long story short, after a few years on contacts I decided to get a pair of glasses just for flying. It was a night and day difference being able to fly at night on glass lenses vs. contacts. Much sharper images and less halo (I have a slight astigmatism). Now I fly with a pair of Randolph Engineering eye glasses with clip on sunglasses. I take the sunglasses off and drop my helmet visor down during the day and fly with them at night with NVGs no problems. (also have the wire ear wrap arounds that don't break the seal to the ear- but takes a good 6 months to break in until they don't bug you comfort wise).

Now I fly with a pair of Randolph Engineering eye glasses with clip on sunglasses. I take the sunglasses off and drop my helmet visor down during the day and fly with them at night with NVGs no problems. (also have the wire ear wrap arounds that don't break the seal to the ear- but takes a good 6 months to break in until they don't bug you comfort wise).

effect5.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know any tricks to pass an eye exam for those of us just below 20/20? Is it ok to ask this here? If not then I guess nobody reply. Vitamins? O2? Anything, because I'm honestly just below 20/20.

Perhaps you meant something different, but your post comes across as wanting nothing more than to skirt the regulation and find the cheapest, easiest, fix with the least effort to get around a valid medical concern.

There's a reason that we have medical standards. If we do not meet the medical standards, then in many cases waivers can be had, and provisions made to allow operation with conditions (such as the wearing of corrective lenses). These are not difficult, nor burdensome requirements.

If unable to pass the vision test without corrective lenses, then get the lenses. When you talk about finding the cheapest glasses possible because you'll only wear them 30 seconds a year, you display a very hazardous attitude. In essence, you're looking to cheat the system, bypass the medical requirements, and knowing that you didn't meet the standard without the glasses, stated that you only intended to wear the for the medical exam and for nothing else.

If you don't meet the same standard of fitness and personal airworthiness when you fly that you met when you obtained your medical certificate, then your medical is not valid for flight. You're aware of that, right?

While there are rare cases in which one's vision improves, and if that's the case, so be it, but until that time wearing glasses for you is more than simply passing a medical exam. Wearing glasses is also about seeing traffic in flight, and all the other aspects of being a pilot. It's not about going through the motions to please the NTSB in retrospect after you stack an aircraft up in a twisted ball of metal. It's about fulfilling your legal and ethical obligations in the cockpit, which include a requirement to wear corrective lenses.

A number of treatments exist out there, most of which are largely snake oil, offering eye exercises, vitamins, or other things to improve vision. There is also surgery for certain conditions, too. The reality, however, is that while dietary, supplementary, or training methods may produce some results, there's nothing to establish that scientifically or an acceptable record that leads to widespread application of that miracle practice. In the end, if you need corrective lenses, there's your fix.

Airline operations generally require that the pilot carry a second set of lenses in the event the first is lost or damaged. It's a good practice for anyone who flies.

I can't remember ever going out to find the cheapest helmet, sunglasses, headset, or other equipment for the job, let alone the cheapest (note that I didn't say "least expensive") fix to a medical problem. Get it done right, stick with it, stop trying to cheat and short circuit the system, and fly right.

AVbug. Thanks for the lengthy and well thought out reply. I think you may have misunderstood my post however.

I currently wear glasses for every flight. What I was trying to say during my post is that I had originally misunderstood the requirement regarding corrective lenses. I was under the impression that I would only have to wear them for the eye exam in order to verify that my vision can be corrected to 20/20.

My vision without corrective lenses is around 20/25. I see that in no way as adversely affecting my ability to 'see and avoid' or otherwise. It is of course your right to see it any way you want.

I'm simply looking for a dietary regiment, etc that would make my eye sight the best it can be. If nothing helps, trust me, I'll be getting a more comfortable set of glasses.

Claroxan claims to be able to sustain or improve vision. They also say that airline pilots take it. I've never met any that do. i certainly never did.

Eye exercise programs have come along from time to time making great claims about improving ocular dexterity. The programs seem to come and go. The See Clearly Method was the last popular one that I recall. It's extinct now.

http://www.claroxan.com

http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/see_clearly.htm

Claroxan claims to be able to sustain or improve vision. They also say that airline pilots take it. I've never met any that do. i certainly never did.

Eye exercise programs have come along from time to time making great claims about improving ocular dexterity. The programs seem to come and go. The See Clearly Method was the last popular one that I recall. It's extinct now.

http://www.claroxan.com

http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/see_clearly.htm

It's amazing how much snake oil is out there.