Radio call for 180 auto

Jay Bunning

Just to clear somethings up about my earlier post. I was aware of the airplane coming in to land on 30, but he had not made any radio calls until I made my call turning base to final. I kept an eye on him as well as my landing spot. Also from what I saw and what the Chief saw he was above our height of 600agl and in line to land on runway 30. I called final and then initiated the engine failure. As I descended about 100ft he flew under us to land on the taxiway. Most of this I have already stated, what I did not state was that he later apologized (a week or so later) and admitted what he did was wrong and that he would have wanted to do the same thing as our Chief pilot. We let it go, but found out that the feds had talked to him cause the owner had an FAA examiner there in her office at the time, who had heard the radio transmission and seen what had just transpired. We were in the right, and we were avoiding the flow of fixed-wing traffic by flying a pattern to the south of the airport and landing on a parallel taxiway and not the runway. This pilot was not knew to the area and knew how the helicopter operations worked as well as how fixed-winged operations worked this airport.

Most operations are conducted off airport but 85% of emergency ops are conducted at this airport.

As for Caldwell not being that busy, I beg to differ. It's a Class G small airport, but I'm not sure what you consider busy, but I think when you have anywhere between 4-6 training helicopters flying at any given time plus more and more use of this Class G airport being used by Blackhawks (1-2 a day about 4 patterns each and some taxi maneuvers in and out of transient parking) and the very rare occasion of Apaches, plus the usual 3-4 business jets per day along with the local fixed-wing guys/gals (3-6 at any given time) and then also the two parachute schools operating, I think this airport gets busy. This just during the week. Weekends are worse due to even more locals flying. On average there is 2-3 planes and 3-4 helicopters flying at the same time but in their respective patterns of planes North to the runway and Helicopters South to parallel taxiway or to the compass rose abeam the numbers of 30. This was when I trained there from Aug 2003 thru Jan 2005. I know there is more helicopter traffic now than when I was there.

• Like 1

From first hand experience I would say neither of those statements are true. While I did have difficulty in scheduling when I was there a few years ago due to Sikorsky shutting down production of replacement parts for the 300 the knowledge base is unparalleled and the FAA side of the house is kind of small actually and also you are divided into teams, so between your instructor, your team leader and the assistant chiefs everyone knows who you are. For that matter, I only did my Instrument rating there and the Chief Pilot and Director of Operations knew my name and said hello everyday. Lastly, not trying to talk you into going there - just saying, you would have a whole new definition of busy if you did.

( / 7500 off )

How I do it:

1.) Do practice autos at a familiar location

2.) Avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic

3.) *If 180 Auto: "Helicopter xxx is tight-in downwind to final 3-4"

If doing autos at our towered Class D airfield, ATC will let us run tight in patterns to the taxi-way. The call is "Tower helicopter xxx west pad take off and land" Once approved, you do whatever you want. Normal pattern, straight in auto, 180 auto, whatever. With that said, we rarely practice there since there are a number of nearby muni airports.

Who you are, where you are, what you're doing.

I don't even know how posts like this get to this level this is basic stuff...

Yeah great way to encourage people to come to the forum for advice!! :-(

Read the original post again- his call is fine, he was trying to tap in to greater experience of the forum by asking for advice on how to make it possibly clearer for fixed wing pilots.

Is say anyone asking for advice from a more experienced collective is smart and should be encouraged- this forum is here for that reason, right?

• Like 2

Amen! I feel like i just went to church! Great point.

However...I am grateful how many have reminded us all how simple our calls should be. Who, where, what. Cant get any more clear.

Ps....if its foggy outside do your calls make it clear? :D

• Like 1

I think the important part is the that the word "final" Runway XX or taxi XX appears in your call. If you just say left downwind to base or something to that effect a plane on final or right base will maintain his course thinking he is ahead of you.

I agree. if there is airplanes in the pattern use a different spot. We used a run up pad in Lansing quite often.

• 2 weeks later...