February R44 Incident Report

JCM5

Whoops....

CEN13LA155

On February 6, 2013, about 1750 central standard time, a Robinson R44 II helicopter, N276RC, executed an autorotation landing after a fueling mat struck the tail rotor at the Tulsa International Airport (TUL), Tulsa, Oklahoma. The commercial pilot was not injured. The tail rotor blades received substantial damage. The airplane was registered to and operated by Crumpton Aviation LLC under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91as a business flight. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight and no flight plan was filed. The flight was originating at the time of the accident and was destined for Richard Lloyd Jones Jr. Airport (KRVS), Tulsa, Oklahoma.

After fuel servicing by fixed base operator personnel, the pilot lifted off from the ramp area and began a turn to the southwest. Climbing through 150 feet above ground level, the pilot reported a loud bang followed by loss of tail rotor effectiveness. The pilot executed an autorotation landing on a concrete ramp at the airport.

During examination of the accident site, two fractured tail rotor blades and a damaged fueling mat were found on a path between the initial liftoff point of the helicopter and its landing location. Examination of the tail rotor blades indicated that damage was consistent with contact by the fueling mat.

WVm6Hca.jpg

hbs8i2p.jpg

qtXDu31.jpg

http://www.newson6.com/story/24230959/pilot-ground-crewman-blamed-for-tulsa-helicopter-mishap?fb_action_ids=10152073707279614&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=.UrChijRT9Cc.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[650884588287912]&action_type_map=[%22og.recommends%22]&action_ref_map=[%22.UrChijRT9Cc.like%22

• Like 1

I must say, I'm not a very high time pilot, and even a lower time helo pilot, but I have never seen a fueling mat used on a helicopter.

When I flew fixed wing I carried a pair of them just in case the fuel truck didn't have them. But that was over the wing.

The school I went to has a red mat just like that one. Proper walk around was not done. I know because more than once I found the mat right where I left it after fueling. OOOPPPPs. Some of our birds are red and white so this makes it easy to overlook.

However after fueling, when I return to the bird, I always second check my fuel caps, which is where the mat discovery has happened. My habit of fuel cap checking has in my eyes paid off as a great OCD habit!

The school I went to has a red mat just like that one. Proper walk around was not done. I know because more than once I found the mat right where I left it after fueling. OOOPPPPs. Some of our birds are red and white so this makes it easy to overlook.

However after fueling, when I return to the bird, I always second check my fuel caps, which is where the mat discovery has happened. My habit of fuel cap checking has in my eyes paid off as a great OCD habit!

We got taught to do a walk around just before hopping in the seat before every flight. Even if I never left the aircraft, I would always do a final walk around and do a 7 point check on the 22 and 13 point check on the 44. Double check all hatches at latched closed (1 point for each latch), double check each fuel cap, double check oil dip stick, ensure area is clear of debris.

Definitely a good habit to have. I don't intend to stop doing it... ever.

We got taught to do a walk around just before hopping in the seat before every flight. Even if I never left the aircraft, I would always do a final walk around and do a 7 point check on the 22 and 13 point check on the 44. Double check all hatches at latched closed (1 point for each latch), double check each fuel cap, double check oil dip stick, ensure area is clear of debris.

Definitely a good habit to have. I don't intend to stop doing it... ever.

What will you do if you get a job flying tours in a 44 and they hot fuel/load while you have to sit in the cockpit all day long?

As a PIC, its shut down or I find a different job. My muffler runs hotter than the flash point of 100LL.

My life means more than a paycheck.

• Like 3

What will you do if you get a job flying tours in a 44 and they hot fuel/load while you have to sit in the cockpit all day long?

Have the fueler hand the fuel cap to the pilot, and the pilot doesn't leave till he hands it back ;) (dont tell anyone but sometime you end up fueling yourself !)

edit - to above,,,, you'll be looking for a lots of jobs - right or wrong. i don't wan't to debate whether it is or not - for example though the Bell 47 has no limitation on leaving the controls :o

Why wait till March ? I took a new offer a couple of weeks ago that should pay better than Walmart and had two more offers extended to me this week.

You need to get out there and whack the bushes or however that saying goes...

Three job offers,...damn! How many hours do you have and what kind of flying jobs are these?

Rules:

1. It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.

2. Hour level does not always matter.

3. You have to be genuinely nice and likeable.

Jaybee meets at least three of those.

• Like 1

I've flown a few thousand tours in an R44 and never once did a hot re-fueling.......doesn't seem to be the norm in the tour biz...plus, you have to take a water bottle/pee break every two hours (they would make it 4 if they could).....so the timing works out to take a 5 minute break..which is all it takes to refuel.