New defense bill could help things, Kiowa might even stay?

So the FY14 defense spending bill was just signed by Obama and it carries us through FY14 and FY15 so we aren't on the edge of another shutdown like we have been constantly. The base Pentagon budget (that doesn't include combat costs abroad) for FY14 is 526 billion. FY 13 budget was 525 while FY12 was 530. This bill also reverses the across the board sequester cuts and restores 63 billion over two years to the DOD that was the cause of much panic.

I'm hoping that all the Kiowa cutting ideas were in anticipation of the sequester and budget cuts remaining and now that the sequester cuts have been reversed and spending is roughly the same as the past few years that the Kiowa will stay. But that's just hoping.

It's also likely that there have been targeted cuts to still reap the benefits of the sequester without the "dumb" across the board cuts and that could still mean bad news for Army aviation. Just thought I'd throw this out there as food for thought.

LOL, been in the military long?

I was for a bit, but that's besides the point. This is about congress. What the DOD does with that money, who knows. I'm just putting it out there that the money that we've had in the past is here for at least the next few years. It's anybody's guess what the DOD will actually do with that but it would appear, at least from a budget point of view, that the world isn't ending like many thought it was before.

I was for a bit, but that's besides the point. This is about congress. What the DOD does with that money, who knows. I'm just putting it out there that the money that we've had in the past is here for at least the next few years. It's anybody's guess what the DOD will actually do with that but it would appear, at least from a budget point of view, that the world isn't ending like many thought it was before.

The Kiowa possibly being shelved is very reminiscent of the Comanche program being cancelled. The money had already been approved, but due to the cancellation of the program, it allowed Gen Cody to upgrade and/or purchase new helicopters in order to upgrade the fleet. You know the officers in acquisitions have already started spending the money that has been approved.

I wish they would decide so that they can figure out how this is going to impact promotion rates for the next few years.

The promotion rates have just gone back to pre war levels. This is what they were in the mid 90's. As long as you perform and continue to advance you will be fine. Everyone thus far that I have seen get passed over wasn't a suprise. The Army is going to downsize regardless of any budget that is passed, we have way to many folks doing very little flying.

• Like 2

The promotion rates have just gone back to pre war levels. This is what they were in the mid 90's. As long as you perform and continue to advance you will be fine. Everyone thus far that I have seen get passed over wasn't a suprise. The Army is going to downsize regardless of any budget that is passed, we have way to many folks doing very little flying.

We had a 1,300 hour untracked PI with three consecutive center of mass OER's get picked up for W3 this past board.

We had a 1,300 hour untracked PI with three consecutive center of mass OER's get picked up for W3 this past board.

Well... There will always be an exception to the rule. Don't even get me started on the Army's warrant officer progression system because it is all total bull sh*t. Don't knock un tracked folks either, not everyone that tracks prior to CW3 is a good officer. Sometimes it just comes down to luck. <---- Untracked CW3, lots of deployments and Top block OERs with no Woac.