Upcoming heli pilot

Beemer84

I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I have used many forums in my life but this is my first time on VR or any forum with helicopters.

I just got out of the military and looking to start flight training soon. Not sure exactly where I want to end up, all I know is that I want to do it behind a cyclic.

I can't wait to learn and get feedback from everybody.

CHEERS!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I have used many forums in my life but this is my first time on VR or any forum with helicopters.

I just got out of the military and looking to start flight training soon. Not sure exactly where I want to end up, all I know is that I want to do it behind a cyclic.

I can't wait to learn and get feedback from everybody.

CHEERS!

Will Uncle Sam be paying? I heard they make you get the Private and then they pay for the Commercial. My friends in the Viet Nam era got Uncle sam to pay for the commercial and they skipped the Private.

Will Uncle Sam be paying? I heard they make you get the Private and then they pay for the Commercial. My friends in the Viet Nam era got Uncle sam to pay for the commercial and they skipped the Private.

Uncle Sam will be paying 100%.

BlueSkyAviation and College of Sequioas have teamed up and created an Associates of Science degree in Helicopter. Because it is considered a school of education and not a vocational school/flight school only, it will be covered from Aero 210 (Private Pilot Licenses) all the way up through Aero 215 (Flight Instructor training)

• Like 1

BlueSkyAviation and College of Sequioas have teamed up and created an Associates of Science degree in Helicopter. Because it is considered a school of education and not a vocational school/flight school only, it will be covered from Aero 210 (Private Pilot Licenses) all the way up through Aero 215 (Flight Instructor training)

Excellent! Thank you for your service to our country...

It probably won’t matter in your situation, but just in case.

You can proably start logging Solo/PIC faster if you don’t train in a R22 (which I love BTW). Long story.

well according to my training program, I should receive 40.0 hours of Dual and 12.0 hours for solo in my first class (private pilot).

If the training schedule is correct and everything goes according to that training schedule, by the time I graduate from my Aero 215 (Flight Instructor) course, I will have 111.5 R22 dual and 55.0 R22 solo hours as well as 33.5 R44 dual hours.

Obiviously, I know this is all subject to change but this is the training schedule as per their website

well according to my training program, I should receive 40.0 hours of Dual and 12.0 hours for solo in my first class (private pilot).

If the training schedule is correct and everything goes according to that training schedule, by the time I graduate from my Aero 215 (Flight Instructor) course, I will have 111.5 R22 dual and 55.0 R22 solo hours as well as 33.5 R44 dual hours.

Obiviously, I know this is all subject to change but this is the training schedule as per their website

Yes, that's why I mentioned in your case it likely wouldn't matter, but could matter to others, depending on their situation.

The R22 requires 20 hours of dual instruction before you can solo. Other training helicopters do not. The R22 also requires 200 hours before you can start teaching in it. Other training helicopters only require 150 hours.

I think that might be what he means?

It’s particulary applicable when doing a Category or Class Add-on.

• 8 months later...

so it has been a while since I have posted. I looked back at my original post and I guess it has been a while since I originally started this process.

Long story short, my helo school closed (blue sky aviation) so I am required to find an alternate school as well as I am STILL trying to get my clearance from the FAA but I keep having to jump through hoops due to my medical background. I have been dealing with this problem just fine until now. As soon as I get a letter, I gather my information and mail it back. If I don't have it, I make an appointment to get it and mail that paperwork back.

This newest letter requires me to see a HIMS psychiatrist. The letter they sent me has two different HIMS trained psychiatrist but they are both located hours away. I was curious if there was a website or phone number to find HIMS doctors more in my area or do I need to go to one of these locations to get the required paperwork?

Thank you in advance

• 5 months later...

HOLY COW!

So I have been working with the FAA since September to find a HIMS psych. All the phone numbers the FAA has are disconnected lines (in California) and/or those doctors are not practicing HIMS anymore.

I found a full time job that has been taking up my time but as I go to work everyday, I realize that I REALLY REALLY want to be in the air. I started this process again and finally found a HIMS dr and got in contact with him. Obviously that is the next step and I am working towards it.

My biggest problem right now, as my original post was about Blue Sky Aviation and College of Sequoias, is that I don't have a school to train at anymore. The closest flight school around me is Mazzei in Fresno, CA. I have seen some people's reviews on this site and I am excited about working with them.

I guess my question is does anybody know of any flight schools in CA that are 100% funded by VA? Mazzei said they are funded up to $11000 a year after you have become a private pilot

If you are using the Post 9-11 (Chapter 33) GI Bill as long as the flight training is part of a public school degree program then you will be covered. If it is a dedicated flight school with no degree program or a private school then there is a limit to what they will pay "Up to $20,235.02 per academic year National Maximum". More info here http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

I am dealing with a similar situation, luckily my school is a public school. It's just I'm not sure what my out of pocket expenses will be as I have to go to a school that is out of state. I'm in WV and the closest school is in MD.

Look at the links I posted, they came directly from the va website. Not sure where you got the $11,562.82 numbers. A quick look at the benefits.va.gov site and I didn't see those numbers anywhere.

Payment Amounts Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training and receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend.

If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $19,198.31) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. See if your school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which may apply for those enrolled in degree programs.

If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of these two costs in effect the day you began training in your flight course

Full cost of training

Annual maximum amount of training (see annual maximum amount)

You will not receive a housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training.

The $11,562.86 came from the VA website for flight training that is NOT associated with a college program. So in my case, since there is no college around me that offers a flight training/degree program, the VA/GI Bill will only pay for $11,562.86 a academic year.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080114.asp

Can anybody give me guidance on this? I know there are plenty of pilots out there that didn't go to a college while training. I have a full time job and my concern is tha time it will take me to comolete private pilot training and any other course that will lead me into a caree.