Talking to Family About Joining the Military?

So out of curiosity, have any of you NOT told your family that you want to join the military? Perhaps your just waiting to get accepted? Have any of you been nervous to tell your family, or even hit some resistance?

What's your story?

I've been hitting resistance from my family since I tried to do "high school to flight school" right after high school (graduated in 2007). Both my parents' fathers were in the military and that has given my parents an old school Vietnam perception of the military where they basically think if you sign up you die. I have debated with them for years and years about joining, out of respect for them I always went with the option they gave me that started something like "well why don't you try this first, and then make a choice about joining" and once that was completed and I still wanted to join I'd get another one just like it. Low and behold, I managed to miraculously land a contractor flying gig right out of college and thought I'd be happy since I'd be flying with the military but making great money without all the things a lot of people hate. They were surprisingly happy when I started my current job although I'd spend more time deployed than 99% of the soldiers. Well it isn't working, I love love LOVE my job but I can't shake the burning desire I've had deep down inside of me since before I can remember. Finally, after years of deployments as a civilian and my parents realizing its inevitable... I got the "we will support you no matter what" line from the parents and I'm ready to give it a run. My family loves the military and finally "ok" with me wanting to be a part. My mother reads more military books than I do and after hearing the stories of others, realizes it is something I must do.

Thanks for sharing SmallTown. If you don't mind me asking, what is it about Army Aviation that draws you to the Military?

Also, what are you flying currently?

I don't mind sharing what I can. It is extremely hard to articulate to someone why Army Aviation draws me in. Actually, aviation isn't what draws me to the military... it just happens to be something I enjoy very much that the Military just so happens to be very good at. So to answer your question, it would need to be broken in to two parts. First, I could write pages and pages about my feelings toward the United States and how important voluntary military service is. I will spare you the long story and just leave it at I'm a patriotic minded person that has always had a deep desire to serve. Second, Army Aviation specifically (not military in general) draws me in because the different types of flying the Army does. I personally love flying low and really enjoy supporting boots on the ground. Currently I fly a variety of fixed wing aircraft and enjoy it but I'm tired of being 20,000ft above the ground and seeing the Apaches cutting through my camera every couple of minutes. I've come to the conclusion I'd rather be the guy asking for the HLZ update than giving it. That being said, I'd be just fine and dandy if the Army decided I need to burn wholes in the sky up at higher Angels in a C-12. I'll do what the Army needs me to, but you can bet your ass I'll do whatever I can do to become a Night Stalker.

I don't mind sharing what I can. It is extremely hard to articulate to someone why Army Aviation draws me in. Actually, aviation isn't what draws me to the military... it just happens to be something I enjoy very much that the Military just so happens to be very good at. So to answer your question, it would need to be broken in to two parts. First, I could write pages and pages about my feelings toward the United States and how important voluntary military service is. I will spare you the long story and just leave it at I'm a patriotic minded person that has always had a deep desire to serve. Second, Army Aviation specifically (not military in general) draws me in because the different types of flying the Army does. I personally love flying low and really enjoy supporting boots on the ground. Currently I fly a variety of fixed wing aircraft and enjoy it but I'm tired of being 20,000ft above the ground and seeing the Apaches cutting through my camera every couple of minutes. I've come to the conclusion I'd rather be the guy asking for the HLZ update than giving it. That being said, I'd be just fine and dandy if the Army decided I need to burn wholes in the sky up at higher Angels in a C-12. I'll do what the Army needs me to, but you can bet your ass I'll do whatever I can do to become a Night Stalker.

Well said.

If you do what I think you do, I'm one of those Apache guys flying through the sensors.

• Like 1

Well said.

If you do what I think you do, I'm one of those Apache guys flying through the sensors.

If you are here now or have been to Afghanistan in the last three years, there is a fairly high percentage chance that we have spoken on the radio. I envy you sir! I want to go 160th but with that being rare out of flight school I'll be shooting for top of the list with the hopes an Apache will be offered! After all, that is the helicopter of my childhood dreams! Though I am one of those that believes you can't go wrong with any airframe.

If you are here now or have been to Afghanistan in the last three years, there is a fairly high percentage chance that we have spoken on the radio. I envy you sir! I want to go 160th but with that being rare out of flight school I'll be shooting for top of the list with the hopes an Apache will be offered! After all, that is the helicopter of my childhood dreams! Though I am one of those that believes you can't go wrong with any airframe.

Just left RC East in April.