Best Army post location

Hello all!

I know duty stations have been discussed in passing in some other threads but in the wake of awaiting January's board results, I was hoping to hear everyone's thoughts on post locations. Being that I'm a couple years off from worrying about this myself, I am merely looking for a distraction from the anxiety. :)

So, out of curiosity, what are your favorite (or best of the worst) post locations some of you have experienced? Obviously your experience is what you make of it but which locations did you enjoy more than others? And why? Do you prefer CONUS, or international? Are there any locations you want to go to that you haven't yet?

Thanks ahead of time for sharing thoughts/comments/concerns!

Well kinda depends on your priorities.

You want hours, then look to Korea, Bragg and Campbell. A lot of people don't like small town big base living because you see nothing but military folks everywhere. They also draw the usual used car lots, tatoo shops and strip joints. Not that there's anything wrong with the last one. :)

Now for scenery and life outside of the Army I'd recommend Lewis, Carson, Hunter, or anywhere in Alaska, Hawaii or Germany. Training and hours won't be as much as the big 3 but you'll have plenty to do outside of work.

Pretty much all have good housing and good schools. You'll see a lot of times people will work out a duty station where they grew up or it's a spot where that want to retire (Rucker).

Oh, Polk & Drum...no one likes it there. :(

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

Velocity pretty much nailed it with the big three. I was at Bragg my entire enlisted time and not being able to get away from the Army can be....disheartening.

Bragg does have a great dropzone really close (if you're into skydiving) and also a really great rock climbing gym where you tend to find more pilot/SOF types as opposed to the usual Bragg crowd so that's nice. 90 percent of my free time was spent at either one and NC isn't a bad state either if you get at least 2 hours away from Fayetteville.

I'm likely going to try and spend my first assignment at the big three to learn and build some hours and hopefully track. Spend as much time there as I can stand and then maybe try something less Army 24/7.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! With regard to Korea, I know there are a ton of bases there. Is there not much of an opportunity to get out and experience the culture? The language barrier would seem difficult (reading symbols?! :huh: ) but they have made a strong effort to westernize. What makes Korea as isolated as Bragg and Campbell? As an outsider, Korea seems like a good place to build hours and please wifey.

A friend of mine who is a CW4 apache pilot spent 6yrs in Germany and he said it was a great time to be able to travel with the wife and cross some things off the bucket list.

It's nice to know that there's more options than what we had in the Marines (basically just East or West coast).

My question related to this is are all airframes located at all those posts or are some airframes only at specific ones?

I'm shooting for Bragg or Campbell, or maybe Carson. Out of what I've seen in the last few years, if the SOFA with Astan goes through, it's a high likely-hood that one of those three divisions will get tapped with the Advise and Assist mission.

It's nice to know that there's more options than what we had in the Marines (basically just East or West coast).

My question related to this is are all airframes located at all those posts or are some airframes only at specific ones?

I don't know which airframes are where specifically but I know that the airframe you fly slims down the choices depending on what you are flying. Blackhawks are pretty much everywhere but Apaches and Kiowas are only at certain posts. Well...I guess the Kiowa isn't anywhere anymore. Hrmph.

Black Hawk would give you the most options on duty station. I'd advise on not picking it for that though.

Another couple cool places to go are Sinai Penisula and Hondo. Tax free in Sinai!

Also, heard they are taking immenant danger pay from Korea??? Not sure if that's a rumor or not.

You'll list your top three duty stations when you get your airframe. It's partially based on OML, but it really comes down to needs of the Army. Most of my 60 class went to Germany, even though only a few of them had it on their top three.

That being said, I listed Ft. Carson as my #2, and that's where I am now and couldn't be happier. If you want much of a say in your duty station, be at the top of your class.

The only duty station I've been at inside FORSCOM was Bliss, and I'll say this: It is probably the nicest Army base there is. Most of everything is new, and the PX is basically a mall, new nice housing, BUT.....El Paso is aweful.

Whaat? Where's the love for Ft. Hood? LOL Being a Guard guy, I haven't been stationed anywhere for long except Ft. Hood and Hunter. Hunter was great. Hood (The Great Place), particularly N. Ft Hood, bites the big one. I did spend a few weeks at Ft. Riley. It fell somewhere in between.

Best short stay was at the Guard unit in Hilo, HI. When I was in the Navy, San Diego, and particularly North Island, was the best. Mayport, FL wasn't bad either.

Well kinda depends on your priorities.

You want hours, then look to Korea, Bragg and Campbell. A lot of people don't like small town big base living because you see nothing but military folks everywhere. They also draw the usual used car lots, tatoo shops and strip joints. Not that there's anything wrong with the last one. :)

Now for scenery and life outside of the Army I'd recommend Lewis, Carson, Hunter, or anywhere in Alaska, Hawaii or Germany. Training and hours won't be as much as the big 3 but you'll have plenty to do outside of work.

Pretty much all have good housing and good schools. You'll see a lot of times people will work out a duty station where they grew up or it's a spot where that want to retire (Rucker).

Oh, Polk & Drum...no one likes it there. :(

My name must be no one. I like Fort Drum a lot.