Tell me your story.

I'm not an Army aviator yet (signing contract next week), but I've been around aviation my whole life. All my time is in airplanes so hopefully these rotor guys don't hold that against me too long.

I went the civilian route through college and got a degree in aviation. College aviation programs are mostly for aspiring airline pilots. At least where I went to school. Flying an airliner may be a great profession, just not for me. I managed to land a job flying Cessna 182's doing fire detection and surveillance for the last 7 years. It's a good job but almost 5000 hours of single engine VFR time doesn't do wonders for career advancement. Marrying someone smarter than me helps with the paycheck. If you can pinch pennies and marry someone who can make more money than a pilot helps. Don't marry for money though, I married my high school girlfriend and we didn't know what a $20 bill looked like much less who was on it. I still don't know who's on it now that I'm thinking about it. And thank God she remembers algebra, that asvab is pretty hard if you haven't seen an equation in 10 years.

If it hadn't been for her I probably would have signed up to fly something big and fast with an ejection seat but I'm glad I didn't now. Going fast in an airplane is all relative (at 30,000ft you don't notice) and I guess I'm too old to think blowing stuff up is awesome and I've been looking at fire for 7 years. I don't think 64's will be on the top of my list though you won't hear me complain about whatever I'm flying.

I'm going to try to wrap this up now so I can get off this computer so here's the point. Always have a goal and do whatever it takes to achieve it. Without a goal to achieve life can get miserable. Goals will change and try to take them in stride.

The calling to serve in the military is a just that- a calling. I'm not joining for the money, job security (that's funny because being shot at isn't very secure), or because I think uniforms are cool. I'm choosing to serve because service is my calling, and I know that if I don't I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

There are guys down here at Rucker that I've seen get their 10, 15, and yes, a couple of 20 grand awards. However, those guys did 20 years in the Army, were issued Air Medals for their service in the Civil War, have been contractors flying students daily for another 315 years, can't stand up straight, and probably should have died 20 years ago, when they celebrated the 90th birthday for the umpteenth time. They only continue to breathe because they can't stand the thought of giving up the ability to ridicule young LTs for not being able to regurgitate "spike knock" on demand.

So you know Mr. Young. I was his 20th anniversary student as an civilian instructor at Rucker. Hard to have an excuse when your IP had 1/2 of his vestibular system removed due to a brain tumor.

... I'm choosing to serve because service is my calling, and I know that if I don't I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

This.

My story: A couple weeks before I graduated high school I told the state schools they could keep their scholarships and dropped the pre-med idea to fill my desire to become an aviator. I went to Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach Florida, had the time of my life in college while earning my fixed wing ratings. I got a little chubby on beer and bar food and in the process of getting back in shape to apply for OTS/OCS I was recruited in to a civilian contractor gig and figured it would serve as a way to buy all kinds of nice toys and still work with the military. I love the job, I love the money, but I don't think I can retire to my front porch in Tennessee one day and fill accomplished without serving in the military and not just a contractor. When I return to the states in about three weeks, I'll be putting together my packet for WOFT and give up this cushy gig to satisfy that feeling inside I just can't shake. I WILL be an Army Aviator.

I was recently selected for WOFT here. So I've read about 150-200 hrs of flight time/year, but what exactly does a pilot do when they are not flying (seems most of the time they aren't flying)? How many hrs/week do pilots work -- is it about 40, or a lot more?

Office work. You will always seem to be preparing for an upcoming inspection. And just when you get your stuff squared away you move hangars, transfer equipment, get a new job, deploy, etc. and you are back to the base of the mountain. There will be weeks or even months where you don't feel like an aviator anymore.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Alright, I know I'm going to get heat for this, but I'm looking to get released from the Future Soldier's Program. I know you all responding to this question are going to say "well, you should have never swore in if...." Look, I get it.

When I swore in a few months ago as a WOFT selectee (I haven't shipped out yet), I had every intention of serving and quite frankly, was very exicted about the opportunity. However, my situation has changed very recently. I realized within the last month that my father has cancer, so I'm simply not 100% focused on the Army right now. Quite honestly, I feel terrible since I'd be letting a lot of people down, including my recruiter, the commander, and those who wrote great letters for me. But I feel the need to be there for my dad since I truly don't know how much longer he has. His condition most likely won't go away, even with chemotherapy. I briefly ran this by my recruiter who didn't seem to give me a straight answer.

With all this said, can I be released from the Future Soldier's Program, and if so, what consequences, if any, would I face? Would I be able to enter the military at a later time? I know backing out isn't something any of you like to hear, but your honest input would be appreciated.

Lastshot,

While you will get some flack for it (and perhaps empty threats), the truth is that yes, you can back out of your contract right up until the moment you ship. Technically, they could try to hold you to something. In reality, there is no real consequence.

Will you ever be able to re-enter the military? You will never be selected for WOFT again and that is a guarantee. You could possibly try to delay your entry date with your recruiter based upon personal circumstances but if you simply back out, you are done. You may be able to enter the military at a later date, but my informed opinion is that you will never be an officer.

Before you do anything, make sure it is the right thing. Coming from someone who's had immediate family members deal with cancer, and a parent who was not expected to make it, failing to enter into WOFT may not be the best thing for you, or your family. In short, what are you giving up by not entering? What do you have to fall back on if you don't? I can only speak for myself, but I'm fairly certain that even my terminally ill parent would not want me to give up on my long-term future for their short-term comfort.

Give it some thought. If you back out you're not likely to run into any real consequence, unless you consider being blacklisted from military service a consequence.

What are the currency requirements ? I assume there is a lot of sim time to help stay proficient.

Varies by airframe. For a 60 FAC 1 guy it's 96 hrs annually and 18 hrs in the sim. As D10 pointed out, the 150-200 hrs that I gave was probably pretty optimistic. A PC might approach those numbers, a PI won't.

UH60L:

Thanks for your reply.

I've always been close to my dad and doctors are saying he may not have much longer (as in a few months to a year). I'd be crushed if I didn't take full advantage of the time I had with him now. Ultimately, it's my choice and no one (including my dad) is twisting my arm to back out. But I'm dealing with a heavy heart right now.

I have a college degree and a good paying job, so that's what I'd be continuing. Would I prefer being in a cockpit and serving (even if it's less money) than being behind a desk? Of course. Is my civilian job all that bad? No.

You mentioned never being an officer again if I back out. Have you observed similar situations that lead you to this conclusion?

What are the currency requirements ? I assume there is a lot of sim time to help stay proficient.

AH-64D

2-4. CONTINUATION TRAINING
a. Semiannual aircraft flying-hour requirements.
(1) Single-seat designated aviator.
(a) FAC 1—70 hours, of which 63 hours must be flown in the designated crew station.
( b )FAC 2—50 hours, of which 45 hours must be flown in the designated crew station.
© FAC 3—No crew duties authorized in Army aircraft.
Note: At least once annually, FAC 1 and FAC 2 single-seat designated aviators will receive a
familiarization flight in the opposite crew station in the aircraft with an IP, SP, IE, UT, or an
approved simulation device.
(2) Dual-seat designated aviators (IPs; SPs; IEs; MEs; and commander-designated MPs, UTs, PCs,
and PIs).
(a) FAC 1—70 hours, of which 15 hours must be flown in each crew station.
( b )FAC 2—50 hours, of which 7.5 hours must be flown in each crew station.
© FAC 3—No crew duties authorized in Army aircraft
And the dreaded sim time.
b. Semiannual simulation device flying-hour requirements. Trainers and evaluators may credit
instructor/operator (I/O) hours toward their semiannual simulation device flying-hour requirements.
However, at least 4.5 hours must be flown in each crew station semiannually. All aviators may apply a
maximum of 12 simulation hours flown in a semiannual period toward that period’s semiannual flyinghour
requirements for 2-4a(1) and (2) above. RCMs may apply 12 hours of LCT time toward their
semiannual aircraft flying hour requirements. All Active and Reserve RCMs within 200 statue miles (SM)
of an LCT will complete the following number of hours:
(1) Single-seat designated aviator.
(a) FAC 1—15 hours in the designated crew station.
(b ) FAC 2—9 hours in the designated crew station.
© FAC 3—24 hours in the designated crew station.
(2) Dual-seat designated aviators (IPs; SPs; IEs; MEs; and commander-designated MPs, UTs, PCs,
PIs, and FAC 3 aviators).
(a) FAC 1—15 hours, of which 4.5 hours must be flown in each crew station.
(b ) FAC 2—9 hours, of which 3 hours must be flown in each crew station.
© FAC 3—24 hours, which may be flown in either crew station.

FAC1 47D: 90 hours per year in aircraft. 17 sim hours.

FAC1 47F: 90 hours per year in aircraft. 24 sim hours.

The 58D was 140 hours per year FAC1.

Lastshot,

Tough choice. Everyone and every situation is different.

As far as ever becoming an officer again, yes, I do have personal experience with that - meaning I know people who have been in similar situations. For the rest of your life you will be shown as having had a contract with the Army. They have processed you for selection, assigned you dates, etc. That will always be in the record. Should you ever decide to board again, you will be shown as a select that did not attend/complete required training. That is a really big hurdle to overcome. Even getting that far would require a recruiter that would be willing to take you on in the process again, which is unlikely.

If you were to attempt to go enlisted, which I doubt you desire, it's possible. Much less work for a recruiter. I actually know someone that simply stopped going to their National Guard drills (I guess you could call it desertion). All they did was send him a DD-214 (discharge) in the mail, which was "Honorable" if you can believe that. He entered active duty about a year later and is still serving.

The best I can offer is to ask for a delay in your timeline. If that doesn't work, either fulfill your contract or acknowledge that it is highly unlikely that you will ever see the opportunity again.

Alright, I know I'm going to get heat for this, but I'm looking to get released from the Future Soldier's Program. I know you all responding to this question are going to say "well, you should have never swore in if...." Look, I get it.

When I swore in a few months ago as a WOFT selectee (I haven't shipped out yet), I had every intention of serving and quite frankly, was very exicted about the opportunity. However, my situation has changed very recently. I realized within the last month that my father has cancer, so I'm simply not 100% focused on the Army right now. Quite honestly, I feel terrible since I'd be letting a lot of people down, including my recruiter, the commander, and those who wrote great letters for me. But I feel the need to be there for my dad since I truly don't know how much longer he has. His condition most likely won't go away, even with chemotherapy. I briefly ran this by my recruiter who didn't seem to give me a straight answer.

With all this said, can I be released from the Future Soldier's Program, and if so, what consequences, if any, would I face? Would I be able to enter the military at a later time? I know backing out isn't something any of you like to hear, but your honest input would be appreciated.

Have you approached your recruiter about this? Circumstances just as this are grounds for delaying enlistment. As early as it is in this fiscal year, you may be able to have your date pushed out until October 2014.

Thank you all for regurgitating your individual ATM's... <_<

Lastshot....

I'm Sorry to hear about your Father.

You have a circumstance that is unique and the Recruiting command may be able to delay your entry into the service for a few months. Ultimately, you will need to make a decision whether you will be able to join the service based off of the ties and connection to your family. I mean this because if you choose a career in the service, you may need to make the decision to do your duty, your job, your obligation to your country and your unit, or do your duty to your family as a son, husband, brother ect...

In a perfect world your Job would never get in the way of your family. The Army is by no means a perfect world and overall, the Army does a good job of accommodating individual soldiers needs but not all the time. This is something you will need to accept coming into the military, regardless of service.

As a future Warrant Officer in the Army, will you be able to sacrifice some personal things for the Job? This job is hoorible for Personal relationships. Yes, yes, there will be people that come on here and talk about how great they have it and argue with me, good for them, Got it. But for every person that has it good, there is a guy in Kuwait, Hondorus, Egypt, Afghanistan, Korea, a unknown airbase or TDY that is away from the family, doing their job for Army Aviation and making Sacrifices everyday.

Have you spoken with your father about this? Does he know the opportunity that you have? Or the numbers of people lined up to be where you are at? What does your Father want for you? Lastly, How important is going to WOFT to you?

I hate to be the guy that throws this out there, I'm just trying to give you a realistic perspective of what you are getting into, no sugar coating...

• Like 1