May 2014 WOFT Board

That's almost exactly why I chose to fly guard also. The family and wife.

The full time positions for the guard as a 15t are great. They are technician positions at the hanger working all week on aircraft, plus you do drill with your unit when it's time. It's like having two guard jobs. As a pilot the full time slots differ and take a long time to get into as they are MTP or IP slots and require flight hours and schooling.

My advice is go guard as a 15T. Send her to law school. Once enlisted and back from Fort Eustis, drop your packet for the guard. If it's denied, it's not like you can't apply again, PLUS you have a potential career as a 15T to fall back on. EVEN IF YOU FAIL WOCS OR FLIGHT SCHOOL, you have 15T to fall back on...

I'm in the reserves and just put a packet in and was told my moral waiver was approved. It was for a minor in consumption that was deferred. (Also in 2009, the day before I deployed haha)

Edit*

I'm wondering if the moral waiver process is different for civilian applicants.

Also, usarec site doesn't say anything about not accepting moral waivers.

I was told that once you're enlisted, the board will focus on what you've done in the military. Maybe that's why, idk. They specifically said that because it was alcohol related that I couldn't get a waiver for it (again seems to contradict your experience). It very well may be different for us civilians.

That's almost exactly why I chose to fly guard also. The family and wife.

The full time positions for the guard as a 15t are great. They are technician positions at the hanger working all week on aircraft, plus you do drill with your unit when it's time. It's like having two guard jobs. As a pilot the full time slots differ and take a long time to get into as they are MTP or IP slots and require flight hours and schooling.

My advice is go guard as a 15T. Send her to law school. Once enlisted and back from Fort Eustis, drop your packet for the guard. If it's denied, it's not like you can't apply again, PLUS you have a potential career as a 15T to fall back on. EVEN IF YOU FAIL WOCS OR FLIGHT SCHOOL, you have 15T to fall back on...

I'll probably end up doing that. Hopefully I can work my way up to crew chief, at the very least.

I was told that once you're enlisted, the board will focus on what you've done in the military. Maybe that's why, idk. They specifically said that because it was alcohol related that I couldn't get a waiver for it (again seems to contradict your experience). It very well may be different for us civilians.

I'll probably end up doing that. Hopefully I can work my way up to crew chief, at the very least.

That sucks that they wont even give you a shot at the board for something like that. I would still recommend joining the guard. Aviation is awesome, you'll learn alot and make great contacts.

Civilians will find out around wed-fri of board week. AD will know Friday or the following Monday when MILPER is published.

^^This is true, you can read on the Jan2014 WOFT board thread that the first civilian found out on the Wednesday following the USAREC board on Monday. (on page 13)

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/17512-jan-2014-woft-board/page-13

You can read onto page 17 and see that MilPer was published that Friday for AD applicants.

I was a Jan selectee and I leave in May. However, I found out about being accepted on Jan 15, and I went and signed my contract the next day, so I got school dates in May. Here on the forum, I was watching the other Jan selectees find out that they were accepted. Some didn't find out for another week or so. It seemed that the ones who found out later or signed the contract later got later school dates. It could be a first come first serve thing for slots. That being said, I would check in with your recruiter daily around the time you are expecting results. Once you have found out, sign your contract ASAP for sooner dates. If you want to leave later, I would wait a week or so.

Do you remember what day you signed your contract?

Also, 6 months after Nov is around May time frame. When do you ship, if you don't mind me asking. I'm out on May 27 to Ft Benning.

Same day, Jackson though.

^This is correct. Once you're in you virtually have a clean slate to write on. Anything prior to joining the military essentially becomes insignificant.

A friend I played high school football with just finished at Rucker and he had zilch flight time as well. He also said long as you get through WOCS you're basically guaranteed to be a pilot even if they have to wash you back a class. Reason being is because you're already an officer and there is no other job a Warrant can do (walking warrants are subject matter experts in their specific fields, and we don't know crap about any jobs).

"basically" guaranteed. You are right if you are saying it won't be 'handed' to someone; there has to be a serious effort, yeah. There are many variables to not succeed, but I'm confident the attrition rate isn't high at all after WOCS. And... apparently you can accidentally do some serious damage to a helo and still graduate WOFT. It appears you've gotta want to fail, to not get through.

What have you learned? I could be wrong about the attrition rate, what is it?

"basically" guaranteed. You are right if you are saying it won't be 'handed' to someone; there has to be a serious effort, yeah. There are many variables to not succeed, but I'm confident the attrition rate isn't high at all after WOCS. And... apparently you can accidentally do some serious damage to a helo and still graduate WOFT. It appears you've gotta want to fail, to not get through.

What have you learned? I could be wrong about the attrition rate, what is it?

I "heard" from a "friend" from college its about 5% with 90% of that being people who got a DWI or some sort of trouble not even related to flight school.