May 2014 WOFT Board

I will tell you that the answer is no. I know because it just happened to me 2 days ago. My recruiter sent me up to MEPS on Sunday night to take the physical and SIFT on Moday (SIFT is only given on Mondays at 0800 at the New Orleans MEPS.)

Upon arriving I was told by my liaison that I would not be able to do both as they occur at the same time, and to pick one. I chose the SIFT, and was done by 1030. I then spent the REST of the day (1030 to 1700) sitting around (I really think it is BS that they couldn't get me into medical then.)

I was then held over and sent back to the hotel to come back to following morning to do my physical. Where I was done for 1100 and had to sit around yet again all day.

Please take heed my advice and drive yourself to MEPS!

Good lord. They are making me stay in a hotel sunday night even though i live 4 miles away from MEPS. The SIFT is given on Mondays here at 1100. I just thought maybe, just mayyyyybe when people are doin the ASVAB they could hook me up with the SIFT. Guess not :(.

According to Lindsey's guide your flight physical could be scheduled three months after but MEPS usually requires six months which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It wont hurt your chances at all and you will not require any waivers as long as the procedure goes as planned. Mine cost 3500 and hasn't caused me any trouble other than gathering the records from the doctor and a couple other minor tests during your flight physical.

thanks and i have an appointment to make sure i can have it done. So I have been to meps and all i have left is my flight physical. 3 months would be great as apposed to the 6 months, 6 is depressing if thats what it is. My recruiter does not know jack sh*t unfortunately they are a bad first impression of the armed forces. Do you have a site that explains more about it?

New to the forums here and hope to be board ready by May. Completed meps physical but still need to do apft, flight physical and board interview. Here are my stats:

Civillian

ASVAB AFQT/GT: 80/120

SIFT: 53

APFT: None

EDUCATION: BS business admin 2.5 gpa

FLIGHT: None

BOARD: None

LORS: ret. LTG, ret. CW4 Aviator, ret. LTC, and current boss.

OTHER INFO: background in competitive cycling and team sports.

thanks and i have an appointment to make sure i can have it done. So I have been to meps and all i have left is my flight physical. 3 months would be great as apposed to the 6 months, 6 is depressing if thats what it is. My recruiter does not know jack sh*t unfortunately they are a bad first impression of the armed forces. Do you have a site that explains more about it?

I don't unfortunately. I'm AD, and had it done after my first deployment. All I had to do was go to Womack at Bragg and get the ball rolling.

Some of the other soon to be Army guys may be better help.

flashgordon, it's 6 months. There's a process you can begin after 3 months, but the full physical won't be good until 6 months have passed. It's referenced in AR 40-501 2-12c(2), any eye surgery will disqualify you from Army service in general if any of the following is true:

(a) Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters.

(b ) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and accession medical examination.

(c ) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(d) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by

1. At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and

2. At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

(e) Pre-surgical and post-surgical refractive error does not meet the standards for the military Service to which the candidate is applying.

Long time lurker.

Will be boarded at the May 2013 AD board.

GT: 118

SIFT: Test tomorrow. (Fingers Crossed)

APFT: 265

EDUCATION: Working towards associates deg.

FLIGHT: None

LORS: Company, Battalion CDR, CW5 Chief of Aviation Branch.

OTHER INFO: SLC Graduate. Working in a 40 level position as a 30.

Best of luck to all of you.

Ryan

Passed the SIFT Test with a 65. Good luck to everyone in May!

Hey everyone i have been lurking for awhile and slowly building my packet so that its most competitive. I have done everything except the flight physical

My stats

SEX: male

128 college credits and a bs degree in biology

GPA 3.0 (worked all of college and taught labs)

Fitness was a 300/300 actually a 333/300 on the extended scale

Asvab: 87

GT 120

SIFT 53

Clean record and bill of health never been to the hospital!

I was waited 6 weeks for my flight physical which was the last step so i could submit in march. Then they finally called my recruiter and said that my noncorrected eye site was too poor even though my corrected was 20/20. I have 20/60 in both eyes. So they said i cant take it and there is no way to get a waiver for it and get around it. They said that i can have lasek or pkr then wait 6 months then try. Is this legit or bull sh*t? They also said i could enlist then work my way up to a WO but the eye site requirement wills till apply even when enlisted right?

My recruiter did not know much about WOFt to begin with so i basically have done this all on my own. With the help of my cousins husband who is a CW5 and he is a helicopter pilot instructor.

thanks in advance!

That's kind of bullshit. I say kind of because from what I hear it's hit or miss with Rucker and whether or not they'll waive it. When I did my initial flight physical I was 20/70 and they approved me. Did the physical get sent to Rucker and then denied?

Edit: I just read that your physical hasn't even been done yet. There is no way to know whether or not they will waive you unless you go and get your physical done. The flight surgeon who did mine was the one who told me Rucker was hit or miss with the requirements. Sometimes they'll bend a bit, sometimes they wont.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Just an FYI here. The flight surgeon that did my physical told me that with the current state of the military and drawbacks etc, they are looking for ANY excuse not to approve physicals. This mindset could also be applied to getting in the Army as well I imagine, but I'm no recruiter.

Obviously waivers, unless told specifically otherwise, should still be attempted. But I wouldn't hope to much on anything getting waived.

ya they wouldnt even let me take the flgiht phys bc my eye sight was apparently not good enough uncorrected. But it corrects to 20/20 so i didnt understand why that mattered, so im getting lasik and then waiting the 6 months to take it again because i already did everything else. I just dont know what i have to fill out or do after the procedure and is it a medical waiver if u have it or they just need to make sure u did it?

With my surgery I had specific appointments for a year to make to ensure I was healing properly and everything was gtg. There is specific paperwork Rucker requires for applicants that have had the surgery. Whoever is doing your physical should know about the specific requirements.

Your eyes need to be 20/50 correctable to 20/20 for distant vision. 20/20 uncorrected for near vision. But like I said before the final decision is made at Fort Rucker when they receive your medical packet.

Who is not letting you take the physical?

Edited by SBuzzkill

The base in seattle washington that it would be scheduled at, they said that my eye sight doesnt qualify me as a civillian to go forward with my warrant officer packet because i dont meet that standard. So do i do my check ups with meps or the army or with my eye doctor after lasik and show them the records?

I'm assuming that's at Lewis?

Anyway, I would think that all of your follow-ups will be with whomever gives you your new eyes. Then try the physical again once the correct amount of time has passed.