May 2014 WOFT Board

Ok LOR question guys, I meet a retired CW3 a couple months ago by chance when he came by to do an FFL transfer from me. We talked for awhile and I eventually asked if he would mind writing a LoR. He agreed and has been working on if for about a month.

This whole time I thought my aviation LoR was in the bag, and combined with the dean of the dept I graduated in, and a Major General that my LoR's would be solid.

Well I just got his "draft" and lets just say it must still be in the "rough" stage. Any idea how I should approach this? Do I email him back with suggestions on how to improve it (kinda bold since I'm the one who asked for it). Or do I simply say thanks and look elsewhere?

Oh dang! Do you rewrite it using his format with better substance and send it back to sign or do you accept the crud and look elsewhere....

Let's put it this way, if you rewrite it, send it to him to read and sign and send back, what are you out if he doesn't return it and says no way??? Nothing really cause you weren't gonna use his crappy lor to begin with right?

My choice would be take what he's written, add substance and meaning above what he supplied, and send to him saying you edited it a little and you think it might be more powerful this way and is more accurate. If he signs and returns as is then great, if not you don't loose much.

Oh dang! Do you rewrite it using his format with better substance and send it back to sign or do you accept the crud and look elsewhere....

Let's put it this way, if you rewrite it, send it to him to read and sign and send back, what are you out if he doesn't return it and says no way??? Nothing really cause you weren't gonna use his crappy lor to begin with right?

My choice would be take what he's written, add substance and meaning above what he supplied, and send to him saying you edited it a little and you think it might be more powerful this way and is more accurate. If he signs and returns as is then great, if not you don't loose much.

I second that. He shouldn't be insulted by that, and if he is, it's his problem. Worst case scenario, you will not have a letter which is effectively the same as having a letter you won't use, and of course best case is you have a better letter in your packet.

There is literally no way I'm going to get this board. My physical is stalled on phase one because of dental. I should get to phase two next week but idk.

What about the dental is holding you up?

What about the dental is holding you up?

Basically I went to Ft. Campbell and got the whole thing done and then I got to dental and they took xrays of my mouth then kicked me out because they thought I was AD. lol. I'm not sure whats going on I have to call my recruiter monday. They need a letter from my dentist saying my teeth are good or something.

ASVAB GT: 111

SIFT: 55

APFT: 283

EDUCATION: 78 credits in Business Administration, 3.2 GPA

FLIGHT: None

BOARD: Active Duty

LORS: Company Commander, Battalion Commander, CW2 Apache Pilot who's a close friend, CW4 UH-60M Standardizations IP, working on another CW4 UH-60M Standardizations IP as well as a AV CW5 Brigade Safety Officer

OTHER INFO: 3x Operation Iraqi Freedom tours as 11B Infantryman.

SELECTED: Hoping for the May/ Jul Boards

Just wanted to get my info out there and see if i may have a chance. Any thoughts are welcomed!

Your CW5's last name wouldn't happen to start with the letter "N" would it?

The only thing I see is that ALL of your LOR's may be a bit redundant. From what I've heard from a board member is that they don't have the time to look (thoroughly) at each and every piece of paper they touch. So, keeping with that in mind, I would focus on your senior aviators (since that's what they ask for) pick the best one or two. You've got SIX, when they're asking for three.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and going off of what I've heard. I wouldn't go more than four for LORs. The key is making them all matter, and not just being unneeded fluff.

• Like 2

Ya my recruiter is set on there being a March board still but I've accepted the fact that he doesn't know jack sh**. I'm planning on the May board.

Technically he isn't wrong. It's just not boarding for the 153A MOS we all want.

Your CW5's last name wouldn't happen to start with the letter "N" would it?

The only thing I see is that ALL of your LOR's may be a bit redundant. From what I've heard from a board member is that they don't have the time to look (thoroughly) at each and every piece of paper they touch. So, keeping with that in mind, I would focus on your senior aviators (since that's what they ask for) pick the best one or two. You've got SIX, when they're asking for three.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and going off of what I've heard. I wouldn't go more than four for LORs. The key is making them all matter, and not just being unneeded fluff.

Sorry about that...

In response to Jon B., no his name does not. The intel you mentioned makes a lot of sense. I equate the board to the active duty senior NCO type boards were they want to see quantifiable information per applicant.

You advise is very good and will be taken into consideration when I submit my packet. Don't want to have over kill and make them all sound redundant.

Is it just me, or does anyone think they have made it easier. I remember seeing guys with a lot of experience, that have already taken the AFAST making 40ies-50ies. I just took it and got a 66 and I barely studied, and have 0 flight time (other than an intro flight). I have been hearing a lot of 60+ scores lately.

It seemed decently hard to me. I got through 75 of 100 simple drawing questions. Felt like i messed up hidden figures pretty bad but got through 30. Killed it on math and knew it when they got stupid hard without a calculator. Mechanical was pretty easy. For reference i scored 131/95 on the asvab and have a degree that was heavy in math.