Spouse/significant others reactions to WOFT

I'm not saying getting shot at would be good, but it's the risk I will accept if I join the Army. Now, a desk job would be torture for myself... I'm really more excited about the brotherhood one builds as a warrant pilot.

Well said. I've never talked to anyone who was overly concerned about taking fire. Nor did I think it was a huge deal in hindsight. You've got other stuff to worry about when it happens. No one who wants to be a pilot (or crewmember) also wants to be sitting at a desk.

It's seeing friends on army air crews that brings it home. Generally that's why it's bad form to talk trash about it.

Yeah yeah yeah, you say all that crap until you start loosing friends in shoot downs. I'm an an adrenalin junkie and would hate a desk job too, just be carefull what you wish for.

I do find it funny how hyped about combat people are when they've never seen it first hand.

Seems normal to me, you train and train and train preparing for it and it's sort of a validation of all your hard work towards that end. It's an enigma and badge of honor and you don't know what it's like until you do it so I totally understand why people get excited about it that have never done it.

The thing I don't get is when people who have seen combat tell people who haven't that they won't be so excited about it when they actually do it. For that person sure, they might not be so big on it after they did it, but just because the other person hasn't done it yet doesn't mean they won't get satisfaction out of it when they eventually see it. It can be an ugly business but how do you know someone won't like something? It just seems like a holier than thou kind of deal and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. You can't know what a person is going to like or not, so let them do it and make up their own mind.

• Like 2

Like Joe said, just be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't go jumping up and down about the opportunity to be on the receiving end of rounds. I think most people that like the idea of being in a firefight just assume they will have the upper hand and be the ones doing the fighting. It is a different experience for everyone so just use caution when discussing it with people as some may not take kindly to you being thrilled about something that a close friend of theirs didn't make it out of.

Absolutely, ALL I'm saying is that I am joining the Army to apply a well developed skill, refine that skill to the highest degree possible, and assume the risks inherent to the job. Better than a desk.

My wife, who was my girlfriend of quite a few years at the time, was not supportive of my joining the Army either. She was in school, had plans for us, and wanted me to stay in Washington for the rest of my life. But it wasn't an option and she knew that. So she stayed and finished school while I started flight school and then joined me in Alabama once she graduated. She came up with new plans that fit her and my lifestyle better and has been happy ever since. The Army has allowed us to buy a house and live a lifestyle that would have been impossible had I not joined not to mention it facilitated me accomplishing dreams I've had since childhood. We are both happier because of it and I think it has forced us to realize what we have relationship wise and strengthened the weaknesses that we may have had before.

I would never trade the time I have left in the Army for anything.

• Like 1

I think most people that like the idea of being in a firefight just assume they will have the upper hand and be the ones doing the fighting.

I think the percentage of people on this site that have been in a legit ground to ground firefight are rare.

Firefights are like a drug you hate, when you get in one you're high for a few days, then when you don't get in one for a week you start feigning. Then you get shot at again, and you're like "oh yeah this sucks a lot." when its over you're high again.

• Like 2

Not true for everyone.

We have been fighting an insurgent force who's AA capabilities are sub par as compared to a conventional enemy. When, not if, the time comes that we fight a conventional force. Taking fire will have an entire new meaning. You, as a AH64 guy are essentially the top of the food chain right now. Do 64's get shot down?, sure. When you are a 60 guy or a 47 guy you don't have the capabilities of tracking, acquiring and engaging targets. You are the target, and M240's aren't adequate and neutralizing a threat unless that threat is right out your door and you are at a speed that your gunner can effectively engage the threat. That is a sh*t situation to be in.

2nd gen is right it's like a drug, I love adrenaline, I always wished a guy would get froggy while doing VI's in Iraq and Afghanistan. But RP inbound, when you know you are going into the hornets nest i'm not thinking to myself "man, I hope I start taking fire in my most venerable flight profile".

It just seems like a holier than thou kind of deal and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. You can't know what a person is going to like or not, so let them do it and make up their own mind.

So you are offended because I am telling you it's not fun to be shot at... Well, sorry some people like it, others don't..

You want to really potrey yourself as a cherry, W01. Show up to your unit and tell all the PC's and combat experienced folks that you want to really get into the sh*t and get your aircraft all shot up, maybe even a few crew members hurt. See what kind of reaction you get.

I'd lie if I said there wasn't a part of me that enjoys the excitement of combat, I just don't go around telling everyone about how I look forward to getting into firefights with the enemy.

• Like 2

I'm not offended by anything honestly, I guess I just don't like people telling other people that they won't like something when they can't possibly know. As a motivated PV2 19D in the 82nd I heard it a lot and lots of my peers heard it a lot. Once we got deployed and had earned our CABs and knew what incoming was like, my favorite part about all of it honestly was just not having to hear people tell me how bad I was going to hate it anymore. It was like a black cloud over my enthusiasm towards my job my entire time before deployment.

I obviously will not go to my new unit and tell them I want to get my aircraft shot up but I will tell them honestly that I would like to perform the mission I trained for whatever that may be. I never said anywhere that I look forward to getting into firefights with the enemy, I just look forward to completing the mission I trained for and am paid to do.

It's really not about looking to get into fights though, just don't think combat experienced people should tell inexperienced guys that they will hate it. That's for them to experience and formulate their own opinions on. Telling them that it completely sucks and all their enthusiasm toward doing their mission under fire is misplaced will likely only demotivate and dishearten them.

But that's all just my opinion and my own experiences going from being the one being told I'll hate it, to doing it and having different opinions. I think the entire topic is an extremely valid and debatable one and I'm glad that there can be open discussion in a place where both combat experienced and inexperienced can learn. I'm certainly no expert myself. My holier than thou comment was probably a little misplaced too, no offense meant, I couldn't really find the right words for what I was trying to say and I apologize. It's definitely a good topic of discussion though as everyone choosing this line of work has the potential to deal with combat and it's really good for people to see different experiences and points of view from different people here.

• Like 2

Agreed, back on topic, I did show my wife Armyaircrews.com I think it's important that she knew the inherent dangers of the job.

She didn't like it at first but she has learned to except it as part of what I do. Just this week a guy I used to work with was killed in a crash. I shared that info with my wife because I needed to talk about it.

Your spouse / significant other needs to understand that this career move is more than a job, it's a new lifestyle.

From my own personal experience, my wife's support is half if not 3/4 of why I've been successfull in the Army.

I really can't tell the original poster how to sell that to his GF. Nor would I want to. You know your GF better than any of us. Just be 100% honest about what you want and do not try to sugar coat it. If she hears all the good things and none of the bad things she'll know your lying.

The bottom line is that the spouse or significant other is going to have to sacrifice, that's just the way it is.

Plenty of people here at Rucker come here by themselves and leave their spouses, gfs, bfs, and families behind. They don't do it to be selfish they do it because this place is going to require more focus and dedication than most people have ever experienced in their lives. I've seen countless people who came here with their familes or significant others and sent them home after they realized how this place was. Many of those who keep their families here have an in law or something here to help out with the family. You just flat out wont have time. Your significant other HAS to understand that 100% or the relationship is probably going to fail. I've seen it time and time again, as has everyone else who is here.

You get briefed time and time again here and FRG gets briefed the same thing. You are in flight school, it is very time consuming, you don't have time to be a family man while you are here. Some significant others just can't deal with that type of lifestyle, which is understandable.

Flight school is one of those things that unfortunately HAS to be all about YOU. Your family has to understand that.

If you have a significant other that you know is very emotional or needs a lot of attention then save both of yourselves the headache and end it before you get here.

Like he said ^^^^ Thats why the divorce rate, breakup rate, etc here is staggering. You have no choice but to be "selfish" while you're here.