SERE/Dunker

What is sere training like? Is it stupid difficult? What are some tips to prepare for that phase?

And dunker as well? I'm not exactly excited about this day. Water and I don't get along.what are the pass requirements and automatic fails on this DOT.

No one will tell you about sere on the internet, you can google that information. To prepare? Mentally tell yourself that you need to pass it in order to be a pilot. You can google shallow water egress trainer or dunker. There are videos on youtube that cover this. If you don't pass the initial swim test you will be removed from the training and given remedial swim training until you can pass the course. Dunker is fun, easy and VERY IMPORTANT!

I've done the civilian version of dunker called HUET (Helicopter Underwater Egress Training) and it wasn't that bad at all. My sinus did fill with water, and I did end up with a slight earache, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Like others said SERE is a pretty hush mouth course. You won't find much info on it because its classified.

Now Dunker....here's a little advice.

When I got to Rucker I didn't know how to swim....AT ALL. Me dipping my feet in the water is about the closest you would ever get me to getting in a pool. Even when walking by a pool and seeing the deep end I would start to hyperventilate and freak out and honestly almost lose control of my bladder functions. I was simply terrified of the water my entire life. Now put a blindfold on me, strap me into a cockpit, roll it upside down, and dunk me in a 12 foot pool. Just try to imagine how you think I felt.

I woke up that morning and told myself..."Well I said I would be a pilot one day or I would die trying, so if I drown to death today then I guess I am a man of my word". I would literally rather go through SERE 10x rather than ever feeling the way I felt that morning again.

I passed it on the first try. I tell everybody the same thing about dunker. This is one of those things that I can literally say "If I did it then I know YOU can". I honestly doubt you will find anybody at Rucker who was more terrified than I was. Trust me, you will be fine.

Haha right on nightmare! I might be feeling your fear. Perhaps not as bad. Thabks for sharing. I checked out some of the videos on the fb page. You get oxygen through the entire process??? Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought. For SERE, I know it can be pretty tough physically. And I'm not exactly old, 28, but I def don't feel I'm my prime anymore.

Haha right on nightmare! I might be feeling your fear. Perhaps not as bad. Thabks for sharing. I checked out some of the videos on the fb page. You get oxygen through the entire process??? Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought. For SERE, I know it can be pretty tough physically. And I'm not exactly old, 28, but I def don't feel I'm my prime anymore.

You get oxygen through half of the iterations. The first few you are holding your breath. I think the mini oxygen bottle is supposed to give you like 5 minutes of air or something but if you are ghostly terrified like I was you will inhale the hell out of that thing and end up using all of your oxygen in about 15 seconds then have to hold your breath anyway lol.

You'll be fine in SERE physically. If you can pass an Army PT test with the minimum scores you have more than enough physical ability to complete SERE.

I know SERE is supposed to suck, but I'm really looking forward to it. Everyone tells me I'm nuts because I really want to do it. Dunker seems fun as well, I have a hard time believing competent swimmers would be worse at it but I'll just have to see. Flying over water for long periods of time isn't something to look forward to, the ocean is a big place that you can easily vanish in... I'm assuming something along these lines is why brackac said what he said.

I know SERE is supposed to suck, but I'm really looking forward to it. Everyone tells me I'm nuts because I really want to do it. Dunker seems fun as well, I have a hard time believing competent swimmers would be worse at it but I'll just have to see. Flying over water for long periods of time isn't something to look forward to, the ocean is a big place that you can easily vanish in... I'm assuming something along these lines is why brackac said what he said.

Competant swimmers know they can swim, being forced underwater and having to wait to try and do cross cabin or w/e is a mind screw.

Flying overwater for extended periods of time @ night with no visual references other then hopefully two visable quandrants can be taxing, it looks like glass depending on the swell conditions. Add in the fact 5 feet looks the same as 200 and you can see the issue.

• Like 1

^ (work computer won't let me quote ppl, idk)

All of which is why you rely on your instruments! This is the same thing as flying in IMC. Water shouldn't make a difference on your safety of flight or SA.

^Haha, it certainly is when you need/want to make a flight. i.e. a circa 1927 $25,000 world record. Just don't fly within 20NM of a thunderstorm, meet the approach mins and your good.