SERE/Dunker

I'm at the dunker pool right now. Ugh.

I'm a considerably good swimmer, I don't panic in nasty situations when I've been snorkeling or surfing, and I can hold my breath for at least 1:30, but I was doing some preparatory training, and just having water get up my nose makes me feel like I am drowning and I can't hold myself below the water. I'll keep doing it until I'm use to it.

• Like 1

The dunker is fun, at least I thought so. Doing it pre-deployment with all the other individuals who are not used to swimming, was entertaining.

Diesel, just get use to slowly blowing out your nose as you enter the water and invert yourself in the water column. Its one trick that helped me a lot when doing the flips during the SOCOM screener at dive school. Since you already have a decent breath hold, gently exhaling through your nose shouldn't be a problem once you get used to it.

• Like 2

They should call dunker the Army Aviation Baptism

Except most people don't get baptised 15 times over the course of a 12 hour day. And if they do, I don't want no part of that there church! :o

Lindsey did they send you there to complete that it is that something you are responsible for getting done on your own accord?

Both. Either. Don't rely on B Co to schedule it for you. During BOLC they try to get you in but it depends on the size of your class (dunker can only take so many). You can usually just show up on your own at 0515 and try to get into a class.

• Like 1

The dunker is fun, at least I thought so. Doing it pre-deployment with all the other individuals who are not used to swimming, was entertaining.

Diesel, just get use to slowly blowing out your nose as you enter the water and invert yourself in the water column. Its one trick that helped me a lot when doing the flips during the SOCOM screener at dive school. Since you already have a decent breath hold, gently exhaling through your nose shouldn't be a problem once you get used to it.

That's exactly what I am doing, I am just worried I blow out all the air, I use to be able to keep air in my nostrils while inverted, but now, its just going away and the water is rushing in, I'll keep working on in until the chlorine doesn't bother me.

On a side note, I'm happy I noticed this here, at home instead of during training.

They stayed the whole time. Flight school is a PCS.

Must depend on the bubble. My ARNG buddy has been standing by for BOLC for 2 months at home 1300 mi away. Guess the USAR/ARNG units don't want to pay you AD WO1 pay w/ BAH/BAS when they don't have to. I also spoke with the USAR unit I'd be going to and they have a WO1 who's been drilling for a few months standing by for one as well.