Guard Pilots

Are there actually states that are hurting for Guard Pilots? While I am currently in the Air National Guard I would love to cross over into the Army Guard to find a pilot position.

I know I would first have to enlist into the Army Guard, go to Basic and AIT, but with a background in Avionics I would hope I could get the AIT waived. However, if not it would be no big deal as I don't see the school being a challenge since that's my previous background.(Not implying it will be easy), but have a knowledge in Avionics and Flight Instruments and Controls could not hurt in my opinon.

So, with all that being said, is there a way of knowing which states actually are hurting for pilots and would take just about anyone as long as they are willing to move and join?

I have heard that the UT National Guard has slots open for 64s and 60s. I was looking at going that route through them, but decided active duty sounded better since I could go in with an actual WOFT slot, rather than go to BCT and AIT only to then have to apply for WOFT and not have a guarantee of getting it. Then you have a chance of getting stuck in a 6 year guard commitment in a job you may or may not want to be in.

I wonder if I transfer to the Army Guard if I will be in a 6 year committment seeing as how I am currently in a committement? I guess I have a ton of questions for a recruiter.

I wear contacts, might require Lasik, etc. I don't even know if I'd be fit to fly in the Guard. I go in a couple weeks to try and get signed off on a Flight Physical just to try and start getting some flying hours in the meantime.

Your state WOSM will compile your packet, send you to the tests needed and probably administer a pt test for you. Search around and call some people and get in contact with your state or whatever state you want to be in. Your air guard state would be easiest I think otherwise you run into interstate transfers and stuff

Are there actually states that are hurting for Guard Pilots? While I am currently in the Air National Guard I would love to cross over into the Army Guard to find a pilot position.

I know I would first have to enlist into the Army Guard, go to Basic and AIT, but with a background in Avionics I would hope I could get the AIT waived. However, if not it would be no big deal as I don't see the school being a challenge since that's my previous background.(Not implying it will be easy), but have a knowledge in Avionics and Flight Instruments and Controls could not hurt in my opinon.

So, with all that being said, is there a way of knowing which states actually are hurting for pilots and would take just about anyone as long as they are willing to move and join?

Just curious -- are you not wanting to pursue flying in the Air Guard?

I don't think any unit is "hurting" for pilots. Or any unit that is willing to take anyone...

Call around.

It inst going to be easy, no one is going to welcome you with open arms, you have to do your research and work for it.

• Like 1

I don't think any unit is "hurting" for pilots. Or any unit that is willing to take anyone...

Call around.

It inst going to be easy, no one is going to welcome you with open arms, you have to do your research and work for it.

Agreed, you have to stand out in the best way possible. You have to be an asset in a climate.

To answer the other question, I went through trational ocs in one state and transferred and commissioned in another (the state that picked me up on the fight board)

Active Duty, as in "Full-time"?...or, do you have the option of going into the weekend/mo thing after flight school, even if you're initially slotted for Active?

it could be, but you are usually contracted as a GSXX. Mostly its guys who have a boatload of experience. Guard pilots hardly fly one weekend a month unless you are grounded

For those that asked questions, sorry that I am just now getting back.

I am not wanting to pursue flying in the Air Guard. I do not have my 4 year degree yet and the Air Guard is cutting people left and right. Actually, I would just about rather enlist Army guard than Air Guard.

I realize it will not be easy doing either one, but I am about to start calling around. Arizona and Florida will be my first calls. Thanks for more information guys.

In Florida our last boards had two slots available (maybe more) and only three applicants that made it to the board. Two were selected. Can't beat a 66% chance of selection! We are upping our recruiting efforts as a result so there is a bigger pool to select from. So you can see, results can vary from one board to another.

Getting to the board can be difficult. Paper work, paper work, paper work! You've got to run every straggling thread to the end.