TH-67 Memorization Items

I am hoping to get some guidance from any TH-67 IPs or SPs out there. I am using four different documents to study from. (See photo below.)

I am trying to figure out which items need to be memorized verbatim. Mr. C's cards show many more items as "underlined" than the other two decks and the Operator's Supplement.

For example:

Land Without Delay (Definition): Land without delay to the nearest suitable area (i.e. open field) in which a safe approach and landing is reasonably assured.

This is underlined in Mr. C's cards but not in any of the other pubs. Does this have to be recited verbatim?

Any insight is appreciated.

post-10306-0-73795700-1390952904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As far as I know, Land Without Delay is a AH64 term used for a total hydraulic failure. I do not remember it from the TH67. It is also not used in the Kiowa or Chinook community.

Land as Soon as Possible

Land as Soon as Practicable

Yes, we did have to know underlined items verbatim. I dont remember having to take a written 5&9 test in Primary. It was part of table talk with your IP and abuse from the flight commander every morning.

I used a CD I bought from wings to study them. It helped me to say them outloud.

• Like 1

Yes, we did have to know underlined items verbatim. I dont remember having to take a written 5&9 test in Primary. It was part of table talk with your IP and abuse from the flight commander every morning.

Thanks. Yes, it is in all four documents for the TH-67, but only underlined in one of the four (Mr. C's.).

This is correct, at least that's what we were told.. And I've only flown 64s

As far as I know, Land Without Delay is a AH64 term used for a total hydraulic failure. I do not remember it from the TH67. It is also not used in the Kiowa or Chinook community.

Land as Soon as Possible

Land as Soon as Practicable

I used a CD I bought from wings to study them. It helped me to say them outloud.

If you memorize Mr.C's flash cards from beginning to end, you won't have any issues getting through Primary (Study tail rotor malfunctions from the Operators Supplement though, you'll see the difference). You will get periodic written tests depending on what flight commander you get. Each flight commander runs his flight as he wishes and some do give no-notice tests.

And the hypoxia stuff in Mr. C's differs a little from the pubs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Memorize now, ask questions later. We were expected to be able to recite Land as soon as possible, Land as soon as practicable, spike knock, etc., verbatim, even though it wasn't underlined. It doesn't matter if its an underlined EP or not, in primary its not just about the EP or limit, its about a frame of mind.

Truly, you don't even need all those flash cards. You could study directly from the source documents, like the -10, .93, etc., then there will be no discrepancies over the information presented. That being said, I used Mr. C's cards alone to get through primary.

I didn't use Mr. C at all but I did have flashcards that were direct copies of what's in the -10. If you don't want to spend the dough an effective way to study directly from the -10 is to use a note card to cover the writing and just slide from one limit or EP to the next. I still use flash cards but I make my own because the process of making the cards helps me learn.

I have a set of 67 flashcards here with me. Free to anyone here at Rucker. Dont shoot me if I am wrong. They may be 58 cards. I am in my hotel and feeling really lazy.

Edited by akscott60

Some primary Flight Commanders (DAC Gibbons of Raven Flight, DAC Faust of Stingray Flight) will insist you have all of the oral knowledge memorized verbatim and test the entire class daily. Others (Ranger Flight, Viking Flight) are alleged to care little for the daily question rodeo.

If you grab Mr. C's cards and memorize everything he prompts, you'll most likely not have a problem regardless of which Flight Commander you draw.

"But what if his phrasing is slightly different from my IP's pet callouts?"

...ah yes, that old excuse for not putting the time in. If someone takes umbrage to the wording, just remember it's better to be arguing semantics than to be explaining why you don't know it at all.

Also keep in mind that if you're lucky enough to pull an Army Standards Warrant Officer or Civilian (DAC Griffith "The Destroyer", as an example...) out of the name pool for your final checkride, that dude will blow you the f*ck up if you stumble on any of it regardless of which flight you were in. Probably pays dividends to Soldier up and know it all (like the syllabus states) no matter what sort of flight you're in.

The Ranger Flight Commander definitely cares about the daily questions and oral knowledge in general. I think there is just more emphasis on understanding vs. rote.

I can attest to this as well, I was in ranger flight with Mr. Heath

the only thing i remember from primary now is

" LTE is the occurance of a sudden and uncommanded rapid right yaw rate, which does not subside of its own accord, and if not quickly reacted to by the pilot, could lead to a loss of aircraft control"

or something like that, its been a while <_<

I liked Mr. Heath.

He asked me first day "Why is the airport rotating beacon on?"

I said "Because its dark still"

He didnt like that answer....hahaha.

I feel like that was a good answer.

I was one of 2 people that were late for Am flight line. My wife dropped me off at the gate at Cairns and I walked my happy ass all the way to ranger flight classroom, i got there right after daily questions.

I went in and talked to him and he was pissed, but when i told him i walked from the front gate he laughed and sent me out of his office. He was a cool guy.

My LT class leader forgot to text me and tell me Mr. Heath said he would come get me at the gate when i got there.