Killin' Time

Like a lot of my fellow active duty selectees, I'm looking at quite a bit of time between now and my WOCS report date. I'm trying to figure out how best to spend my extracurricular time in the interim. I enrolled in Phase 1 a couple weeks ago and I'm 75% finished, one more exam and I'll be done. Here's a couple ideas:

1) Ranger School- Not sure if this will help with promotions later on in my career, but I'm thinking that due to rate of injury, and not having enough time to redo a phase if I were to recycle, this probably isn't a good idea. From what I've heard, WO Aviators can/do get slots later on.

2) Air Assault School- I have the opportunity to go, and again I'm not sure if this would have a positive effect on my career, but I've always wanted to experience Air Assault and this would at least kill some time and keep me busy, at least for a couple weeks.

3) Register for more college classes. I have an Associates now, and I'm planning on completing my Bachelor's by the time I'm eligable for CW3. This seems to be the best COA.

4) Hang tight and continue to study WOCSOP and whatever BOLC/IERW stuff I can get my hands on.

5) Compete in Sergeant Audie Murphy Club boards or NCO of the month/quarter boards.

Thinking of doing one or more of these.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Is it possible and practicable to go to Ranger or Air Assault school after one gets done w flight school? I mean, if a pilot was motivated to do Ranger school, I would think that the 61 days would be short enough to maintain aircraft currency requirements. Idk, that is prob an oddball question... Almost enlisted SF a few years ago. The Army prob doesnt allow that type of thing anyway due to high monetary/time investment in pilots.

Ranger school I have heard of one time, haven't gotten it in 6 years of asking. It's not just the 61 days it's the pre ranger, which is mandatory, and then the fact that you will probably not be a first time go. More realistic timeline 4 months

Went to air assault school as a PIC after a lot of begging. Doesn't help for promotion.

Out of all of these #3 should be your priority it's the only thing that will cover you out of the military If you later find out you aren't cut out to be a pilot.

Out of all of these #3 should be your priority it's the only thing that will cover you out of the military If you later find out you aren't cut out to be a pilot.

Maybe? lol. But ya, go w #3 regardless. A degree helps w promotion, right? Like, does a Masters degree help? I feel that someone w this opportunity could end up very educated and lethal!

Army Strong!

Maybe? lol. But ya, go w #3 regardless. A degree helps w promotion, right? Like, does a Masters degree help? I feel that someone w this opportunity could end up very educated and lethal!

Army Strong!

Yes. A masters degree helps but you still need decent OERs. My point is, plan for contingencies.

• Like 1

Army Strong!

Army Strong?

You just went full hooah bro. Never go full hooah.

Ack all, sounds like education would be the best use of my time, especially because free time for civilian education will be non-existant once I get to Rucker. I'm zeroed in on a very broad BS program (Military Studies), so a lot of Aviation training will actually count towards my electives. I'll start banging out the required, specific courses.

• Like 1

Ha, Bout time someone caught it. Cracked myself up last night whilst doing the future soldier courses... Feel like ive traveled the world.

I'm actually feeling the same way since being selected; totally on fire and motivated. I feel like I did when I was a recruit DEP'ed in and waiting to ship to basic. I remember watching youtube vids nonstop and studying cadences/mil history/infantry tactics/etc. It's a good place to be. Haha I still have my Future Soldiers ID Card in my wallet!

I was straight told by the cadre at B co that I would never go to ranger school, and the chances of going to airborne school were only going to happen if I found a unicorn to ride there. You'll go to air assault school at some point (esp if you go to campbell) but I've been told its not hard to get if your in an assault battalion.

Rgr,

Doing good PT wise, should be able to hit 300. Aside from overall readiness, I've been working on APFT event form, which in my experience is essential for schools. What might be a passable pushup/situp for a normal APFT may not fly, so I'll be working on ensuring that I exceed the standards.

Injury definitely has me paranoid, especially with a three week long jungle operations field problem looming in my near future. Last unit that went through had major issues with knee/ankle injuries and trench foot while operating in some very undesirable terrain. I likely won't have a replacement in my BN yet as my report date isn't until early OCT, so I'll probably have to just be as careful as I possibly can.

Rgr,

Doing good PT wise, should be able to hit 300. Aside from overall readiness, I've been working on APFT event form, which in my experience is essential for schools. What might be a passable pushup/situp for a normal APFT may not fly, so I'll be working on ensuring that I exceed the standards.

Injury definitely has me paranoid, especially with a three week long jungle operations field problem looming in my near future. Last unit that went through had major issues with knee/ankle injuries and trench foot while operating in some very undesirable terrain. I likely won't have a replacement in my BN yet as my report date isn't until early OCT, so I'll probably have to just be as careful as I possibly can.

Besides from doing PT to pass the test, being in shape just helps going through wocs, your not sore, not dragging ass on the runs, and you don't look like a dirt bag. You're going to stop working out in flight school, it's gonna happen so get in shape so when you fall off the wagon you can get back on it quick. Trust me when I say, you WILL stop working out on a regular basis while your in flight school. It's perfectly accepted furring the flight line, but then, you have to get back in shape quickly for a PT test at the end.

Sounds like your in Hawaii. Enjoy that nonsense in east range...

• Like 1

Anyone heard of low time PIs getting airborne school? I have my civilian skydiving license but I don't know how long the army school takes. Like the thread said, killing time.

The only anecdotal evidence I've heard was a pilot asking the Bn CDR and the reply was to the effect of "sure, I will sign your approval papers but if you get hurt I'll be filing your separation papers." I know there's other things to do like keeping the fridge stocked but it's a school I am curious about.

Thanks either way

I can't think of any specific pilots who went to Airborne school but that's more because I spent all my time at Campbell and we were taught that Airborne school is dumb, not that it was a hard school to get. Unless things have changed with the postwar Army, you're not getting separated for any kind of Airborne school injury. You may not fly for a year if you tear a bunch of knee ligaments or something, but that's not a reason for a discharge.

That being said, I enjoy civilian skydiving too, but I'd never want to go to Airborne school. In fact after learning to skydive that makes the Army's version of jumping out of airplanes sound even worse.

I do agree, I am not all that interested in static line jumps, I'd rather pull my own chute.

I ask because I am at Bragg and we fly over the DZs a lot. I'm just trying to figure out how I can sneak my way into HALO school and/or do a tour with the Golden Knights years down the line. This is kinda like a long term setup for it if I ever go that route. I looked it up and their minimum requirement is only 100 jumps.

I do agree, I am not all that interested in static line jumps, I'd rather pull my own chute.

I ask because I am at Bragg and we fly over the DZs a lot. I'm just trying to figure out how I can sneak my way into HALO school and/or do a tour with the Golden Knights years down the line. This is kinda like a long term setup for it if I ever go that route. I looked it up and their minimum requirement is only 100 jumps.

Jump at Raeford, they have alot of Golden Knights that jump there all the time. Airborne school is dumb, MFF (HALO) would be a good time, but if you already have a USPA license, the only difference would be combat equipment jumps and night, stick to sport jumping, way more fun.

• Like 1