Killin' Time

I don't believe there are any WO slots on the Golden Knights, or any demonstration team.

Back in the day when I was enlisted, there was a sport parachute club on Fort Campbell that we would support on weekends. Given today's environment, I wonder if they even do that anymore?

My recommendation is that if you want to fly, then fly. If you want to jump, decline your WOCS to make room for someone who wants to fly and then sign up for Airborne, Ranger, and everything else you want to do. The point is you can't be wishy-washy about this. You are about to start a career that requires you to be focused on the mission at hand, not worried about whether you will get to do things you think are/will be/could be fun.

Opportunities will come along, and the Army has been a great environment for those wanting to take advantage of those opportunities, but you don't even have this one in hand yet, and you're looking for something else already. Don't be that way when you get to your first unit. And if you like sport parachuting, or other extreme sports, it is better to enjoy them on your time, not the Army's. The Army knows how to take all kinds of fun out of things.

In response to the original post: #3.

I left Bragg to come to Rucker.

Yes, you can get airborne school as a warrant. Nobody I know actually accepted the invitation though. Most consider it a big risk. People get hurt in airborne school. As a warrant officer pilot, jumping out of airplanes is no longer your lane and it doesn't help your career in the least. Add to that the fact that you will never be on jump status, even after attending airborne school, and it's just kind of silly to even go. Even if they had warrant slots on the Golden Knights, which they don't, you would never make the requisite 100 jumps. All you get in airborne school is likely all you would ever get. There are plenty of pilots that were airborne when they were enlisted, and by definition are still qualified. I knew at least 20 pilots at Bragg that were airborne, not a single one of which has jumped since becoming a pilot.

If you want to jump out of aircraft, stay enlisted. If you want to fly aircraft, become a pilot.

Gentlemen,

Thanks much for all the advice. In regards to the original post as to what extracurricular work would benefit me most further down the road, I have chosen to keep pursuing college until I PCS to Fort Rucker; I actually signed up for another course today. I finished WOCS phase 1 (DL) last week as well. Just wanted to make sure I keep my mind busy until I'm ready to move out:)

Thanks again

Eric

Sorry, I left out the part that I'm already flying. I am RL2 and since I have absolutely no knowledge about jump school, I would ask around here to kill time.

Actually just pinned CW-2 today after some delay. (We were pretty busy the past month.)

I actually received enough input here to figure out that it's not worth the time. Thanks!

P.S. I apologize for hijacking the thread.

• Like 1

I left Bragg to come to Rucker.

Yes, you can get airborne school as a warrant. Nobody I know actually accepted the invitation though. Most consider it a big risk. People get hurt in airborne school. As a warrant officer pilot, jumping out of airplanes is no longer your lane and it doesn't help your career in the least. Add to that the fact that you will never be on jump status, even after attending airborne school, and it's just kind of silly to even go. Even if they had warrant slots on the Golden Knights, which they don't, you would never make the requisite 100 jumps. All you get in airborne school is likely all you would ever get. There are plenty of pilots that were airborne when they were enlisted, and by definition are still qualified. I knew at least 20 pilots at Bragg that were airborne, not a single one of which has jumped since becoming a pilot.

If you want to jump out of aircraft, stay enlisted. If you want to fly aircraft, become a pilot.

From a current paratrooper's/jumpmaster/pathfinder's standpoint. I was two exits away from my Senior Rating (Jump Wings with a star) when I found out I was selected. I weighed the costs to benefit analysis. I go to school for WOCS in two and a half months. I pulled myself from jump status because if I got hurt (which I haven't in 35 jumps), my career was in limbo. I want my senior rating, but I know I'll never be on jump status again. I put in a lot of work to get to where I was for that objective. Guess what, I'm flushing it for a new objective, to be an aviator. Collecting badges isn't all its cracked up to be. Airborne school to me is no benefit for anyone unless you're going to an Airborne unit. Maybe one day I can get to 82d CAB and negotiate my way on to permissive so I can get my last bit for my Senior Rating. Spend this time doing things that will have tangible benefits for you. A degree, a better PT score. Hell, enjoy life a little more and spend what you might not normally spend to have a good time. From what I can tell, the next 18 months are going to be rough, so I'm having my fun now, even at the expense of a little credit card debt.

• Like 1

From a current paratrooper's/jumpmaster/pathfinder's standpoint. I was two exits away from my Senior Rating (Jump Wings with a star) when I found out I was selected. I weighed the costs to benefit analysis. I go to school for WOCS in two and a half months. I pulled myself from jump status because if I got hurt (which I haven't in 35 jumps), my career was in limbo. I want my senior rating, but I know I'll never be on jump status again. I put in a lot of work to get to where I was for that objective. Guess what, I'm flushing it for a new objective, to be an aviator. Collecting badges isn't all its cracked up to be. Airborne school to me is no benefit for anyone unless you're going to an Airborne unit. Maybe one day I can get to 82d CAB and negotiate my way on to permissive so I can get my last bit for my Senior Rating. Spend this time doing things that will have tangible benefits for you. A degree, a better PT score. Hell, enjoy life a little more and spend what you might not normally spend to have a good time. From what I can tell, the next 18 months are going to be rough, so I'm having my fun now, even at the expense of a little credit card debt.

I like the idea of not jumping once selected, then again I prefer not to do any static line jumps now unless the DZ is the ocean :). But I wont give up Freefall jumps until I absolutely have to. The army badges for jumping always confused me, I always thought the star on top designated jumpmaster? I believe thats how it is for the Freefall/HALO wings no? At least thats what they gave us at graduation of Freefall Jumpmaster, not that we can wear any of that stuff in the Marine Corps anyway.

I like the idea of not jumping once selected, then again I prefer not to do any static line jumps now unless the DZ is the ocean :). But I wont give up Freefall jumps until I absolutely have to. The army badges for jumping always confused me, I always thought the star on top designated jumpmaster? I believe thats how it is for the Freefall/HALO wings no? At least thats what they gave us at graduation of Freefall Jumpmaster, not that we can wear any of that stuff in the Marine Corps anyway.

MFF Jumpmaster apparently you wear the star and wreath as soon as you graduate. As for static line in the Army, you have to meet certain metrics:

Basic = 5 jumps (school)

Senior (star) = 30 Jumps (15 Combat Equipment [1 Night AJ; 2 Mass Tac])

Master (star+wreath) = 65 Jumps (a whole lot of requirements)

So if you have your Jump Log and can show everything I bet we can get you advanced rated wings if you come over to the Army

MFF Jumpmaster apparently you wear the star and wreath as soon as you graduate. As for static line in the Army, you have to meet certain metrics:

Basic = 5 jumps (school)

Senior (star) = 30 Jumps (15 Combat Equipment [1 Night AJ; 2 Mass Tac])

Master (star+wreath) = 65 Jumps (a whole lot of requirements)

So if you have your Jump Log and can show everything I bet we can get you advanced rated wings if you come over to the Army

Yea I have all my logs, sitting around 120 jumps or so, should get another 15 or so on deployment, (stupid MEU)... but we dont do Mass Tac, so... I dunno if it would be possible, that sh*t dont look like fun haha.

I agree with everyone else here with option #3. It's what I plan on doing IF I am selected during my current deployment. Would you mind telling what your wait time from selection to class start? I may have just missed that as I was skimming.

If I'm selected I'm not going to miss jumping as at all. I think the only time an Aviator is going to be in the position to do that is at the 160th. Or perhaps with other Special Operations units on Bragg. For instance, the CW5 that's helping with my packet is a recent (last year or so) Jumpmaster graduate. He jumps with us on occasion and pulls duties. Now, I'm not sure how much he's flying these days, but I can assure you it's enough to stay current.

Focus on the 50M target, and go from there.

If you have time to kill go down to the hangar and help out your crew chiefs and follow your MTPs around. Go to the stands section and get familiar with your records. Hit up flight ops and re-read the reading files. Take a tour through the ATC facilities. Prepare some classes for Friday pilot meetings. Swing by armament and watch them service a gun. Create study aids for your buddies.

Not trying to jump down anyone's throats here but as a freshly minted aviator you should be focusing on learning as much as you can about your trade. The last place you want to be is in a school that takes you out of the cockpit.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

If I'm selected I'm not going to miss jumping as at all. I think the only time an Aviator is going to be in the position to do that is at the 160th. Or perhaps with other Special Operations units on Bragg. For instance, the CW5 that's helping with my packet is a recent (last year or so) Jumpmaster graduate. He jumps with us on occasion and pulls duties. Now, I'm not sure how much he's flying these days, but I can assure you it's enough to stay current.

I think we know some of the same people. Short fellow with a mustache? Really easy going?

I agree with everyone else here with option #3. It's what I plan on doing IF I am selected during my current deployment. Would you mind telling what your wait time from selection to class start? I may have just missed that as I was skimming.

Focus on the 50M target, and go from there.

Aviators are not on jump status in 160th, hell neither are crew chiefs...your job is flying too much $ is invested in you.

Guess its only FARP guys then? That would make the most sense I suppose.

and the RLO's of course. I used to jump with the 160th when I was in 5th Group and there is nothing as fun as walking off the ramp of an MH-47 over Corregidor DZ...

Seems like Ranger School as a leg would be somewhat worthwhile. Maybe not for the OP specifically since he's already Army and has probably had plenty of training and hooah, but generally speaking of guys that have been pilots their whole career, it seems like training that gives you a better real life understanding of the mission you're supporting and maybe the customers in the back would be very valuable, especially when/if things don't go so smoothly. Of course all that is said with no real knowledge of what any of that is like.

Seems like Ranger School as a leg would be somewhat worthwhile. Maybe not for the OP specifically since he's already Army and has probably had plenty of training and hooah, but generally speaking of guys that have been pilots their whole career, it seems like training that gives you a better real life understanding of the mission you're supporting and maybe the customers in the back would be very valuable, especially when/if things don't go so smoothly. Of course all that is said with no real knowledge of what any of that is like.

Ranger school is NOT a replacement for actual combat time. You learn by-the-book patrolling there, and really nothing more than implementing by-the-book (Ranger HB) TTP's. While I agree that it may be worthwhile if you want to just suck for sixty plus days, I don't believe it would make you a better aviator. Otherwise it would be pushed harder from the Aviation circles.

FYI, I'm a prior 11B who has since swapped his MOS to something completely different. So, please take everything I just said with a grain of salt. Meaning I DO think it's a good school for certain people, it's just not going to help much with the actual "ground pounding" frame of mind.

• Like 1

Roger that. After that post I thought about it some more and read about it some more, and I changed my mind. Since its just a leadership school, not a skills school, what I said doesn't make sense.

Ranger school is a suckfest. Period. The tab indicates credibility to certain populations in the army. Army aviators are not usually in that group. You'd have a lot more credibility if you showed up as a CFI/CFII in my book.

• Like 1

Ranger school is a suckfest. Period. The tab indicates credibility to certain populations in the army. Army aviators are not usually in that group. You'd have a lot more credibility if you showed up as a CFI/CFII in my book.

Nah, no one cares if you are a CFI, it really doesn't mean anything. I've met plenty of CFIs that can't pull thier weight in a flight company. Yes, Ranger School doesn't help you as an aviator. If anything, it will hurt you as all your peers will be flying while you are humping a Ruck through the woods and going un current. If you want ranger school do as enlisted or become an O. You can do it as a WO but It's going to be a lot harder and not really benefit to your overall success as an aviator.

• Like 2

Nah, no one cares if you are a CFI, it really doesn't mean anything. I've met plenty of CFIs that can't pull thier weight in a flight company. Yes, Ranger School doesn't help you as an aviator. If anything, it will hurt you as all your peers will be flying while you are humping a Ruck through the woods and going un current. If you want ranger school do as enlisted or become an O. You can do it as a WO but It's going to be a lot harder and not really benefit to your overall success as an aviator.

True. My point was that doing something to develop his skills as an aviator would pay off more than humping a ruck through the woods.

True. My point was that doing something to develop his skills as an aviator would pay off more than humping a ruck through the woods.

Agreed. That being said, I don't want to talk anyone down from going to ranger school I think that type of motivation is very healthy. I am still trying to go myself and trying to pick up pathfinder school. Really I think it's important to be realistic about your goals and your career path. If you're un tracked and a PI your goal should be to make PC and get tracked, then pick up Woac. Ranger school just doesn't fit in this equation.

Honestly, for most of you on this thread it's too soon to be talking about that stuff as you still need to pass flight school and then get some WOPD from the warrants in your unit they will point you in the right direction.