Killin' Time

Honestly, for most of you on this thread it's too soon to be talking about that stuff as you still need to pass flight school and then get some WOPD from the warrants in your unit they will point you in the right direction.

100% agree. Focus on the 50m target. Then go from there. No point in talking about Ranger school or anything else for that matter if you don't have a physical yet, or aren't even in the Army.

• 4 weeks later...

You'd have a lot more credibility if you showed up as a CFI/CFII in my book.

The only thing I know when a WO1 shows up an announces he is a CFI is that he is going to need a lot of work. Our two 1k+ hour guys who are unable to make PIC are both CFI qualified. Haven't been impressed by any civilian instructor who made the transition to being a military aviator.

The only thing I know when a WO1 shows up an announces he is a CFI is that he is going to need a lot of work. Our two 1k+ hour guys who are unable to make PIC are both CFI qualified. Haven't been impressed by any civilian instructor who made the transition to being a military aviator.

Ah come on... experience is experience. I've seen it from the other side, a military f-18 pilot in an airline cockpit who could not hand fly an ILS if his life depended on it. It really comes down to the person and how hard one works.

Ah come on... experience is experience. I've seen it from the other side, a military f-18 pilot in an airline cockpit who could not hand fly an ILS if his life depended on it. It really comes down to the person and how hard one works.

Bad habits, attitude issues, and ability only to fly the aircraft. There is so much more to being a military aviator than shooting the ILS back course effectively.

So I guess quibble about prior flight experience is more important than the new Army camo...

Ive had a few guys put it to me like this "skyreaper, since youre a CFII, you would be well served to forget what you know about flying, and more well served to recall everything youve learned about FARs, weather, and instruments".

It comes down to the person, and thats it. Im willing to admit that my prior experience will depreciate in value as a function of time, at some point everyone is pretty much on the same level. But until then, the Army Aviation Officers Ive known, including one who did my batt board have said it gives you a leg up in flight school.

So I guess quibble about prior flight experience is more important than the new Army camo...

Ive had a few guys put it to me like this "skyreaper, since youre a CFII, you would be well served to forget what you know about flying, and more well served to recall everything youve learned about FARs, weather, and instruments".

It comes down to the person, and thats it. Im willing to admit that my prior experience will depreciate in value as a function of time, at some point everyone is pretty much on the same level. But until then, the Army Aviation Officers Ive known, including one who did my batt board have said it gives you a leg up in flight school.

The biggest issue I have seen with civilian instructors when they come to military aviation is they feel as if they should be respected or receive preferential treatment because of the letters on their civilian license. Most do not react well to being treated like every other WOJG, and some just aren't good pilots in regards to what Army Aviation flying is.

My stickbuddy was a civilian flyer, stil managed to bust 5&9 at every phase. We also had a news chopper pilot who had a couple of thousand hours in a 206, also failed 5&9 repeatedly. They just weren't willing to put in the work because they didn't have the right attitude.

Now, I do have a friend who had >5K hours commercially. Never said a single thing about it in flight school. Busted his ass, flew to the Army standard, and adjusted his techniques for how the military wanted him to fly. He is an outstanding pilot, regardless of it's as a civilian or a military aviator.

Busting ass is the right attitude to have. Civ time doesnt mean a thing in military if you can't hack it, thats obvious.

I'm going to duplicate my above post bc I feel as though I was stepped on, and it subsequently went unnoticed. Hope everyone is excited about the new camo pattern.

Word on the street has it the Army has chosen the new camo pattern. I'm guessing it will be phased in pretty soon...

post-43092-0-31680000-1395624674_thumb.jpg

Busting ass is the right attitude to have. Civ time doesnt mean a thing in military if you can't hack it, thats obvious.

I'm going to duplicate my above post bc I feel as though I was stepped on, and it subsequently went unnoticed. Hope everyone is excited about the new camo pattern.

Word on the street has it the Army has chosen the new camo pattern. I'm guessing it will be phased in pretty soon...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not sure that's what they meant by allowing women into combat.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

LMFAO tough crowd! Thanks folks, his name is skyreaper and he'll be here all week. Giggity.

• Like 2