Pentagon Plans to Shrink Army to Pre-World War II Level

Cutting the A-10 entirely, but leaving the F35 untouched. Cutting US Army personnel to 450,000 instead of 490,000. Dropping the idea of being able to fight two major land wars simultaenously. No changes to retirement benifits to those currently serving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/politics/pentagon-plans-to-shrink-army-to-pre-world-war-ii-level.html?_r=0

Ya, I'm not sure how the future really looks ... I guess more positions in the 160th will open.

Any good rumors in the inside?

160th is always looking for people. Every post I was on they were recruiting heavily and offering bonuses.

One good thing in all this, the future vertical lift aircraft isn't going to be cut. Any of you all stay in past 2030, you might have a shot at flying one.

160th is always looking for people. Every post I was on they were recruiting heavily and offering bonuses.

Sort of; the bonus of years past is gone starting FY14. You do get 10K the day you graduate from Green Platoon, but the 25K annually is a thing of the past. Also, we are not currently taking senior W3s or W4s, but that can change from board to board. This is birne of a bunch of good W4s we received who are now getting forced out because they can't make W5.

The flying really doesn't slow down though, there's always bad guys and contingencies somewhere in the world that need lifiting...

The good news is that a good number of us in the REGT are aging out. Most of us are well over 20 years, and over 40 years old. I've seen retirements rise rapidly in the last year or so. It should remain a good opportunity for junior WOs for the forseeable future.

• Like 1

Sort of; the bonus of years past is gone starting FY14. You do get 10K the day you graduate from Green Platoon, but the 25K annually is a thing of the past. Also, we are not currently taking senior W3s or W4s, but that can change from board to board. This is birne of a bunch of good W4s we received who are now getting forced out because they can't make W5.

The flying really doesn't slow down though, there's always bad guys and contingencies somewhere in the world that need lifiting...

The good news is that a good number of us in the REGT are aging out. Most of us are well over 20 years, and over 40 years old. I've seen retirements rise rapidly in the last year or so. It should remain a good opportunity for junior WOs for the forseeable future.

Special Operations and supporting units don't have to worry, their budgets are protected, which will make units like the 160th even more attractive.

Yeah they sure aren't promoting many CW4s these days. My old BTL stands officer and safety officer both got turned down for 5. Both had solid records too.