US Army plans to cut 3 of 13 aviation brigades by 2019.

My three choices for duty station on my 160R are Lewis, Carson, and Campbell. I've been at Bragg for almost nine years. Hopefully at least those three are sticking around.

I figure if I get selected I'll end up going somewhere completely different, but hey, they asked!

Im sure 159CAB is on the chopping block. Its an extra CAB to worry about at Campbell...

FWIW, this is probably true. 159 guys currently deployed in Afghanistan are being to told expect dissolution shortly after returning from their tour.

Carson is often thrown around as a possible victim, although nothing is in writing yet. No idea where the third casualty might come from.

• Like 1

Would be pretty wasteful to scrap 4CAB in Carson with how much is being put into building it right now.

Well, considering your location it's not a surprise you would say that. It has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with where money was spent. The military has closed down brand new facilities in the past. Fort Ord California was boarded up with brand new facilities and housing in the 90's.

4th CAB under Carson is brand new, no combat deployments, not fully fielded and sitting in an expensive area to operate with limited training areas.

My money is on Carson, Lewis, possibly 159th and or Germany shutting down.

This guy nailed it.

As much as we want to fly, we are only here to support the ground maneuver brigades.

As the Army slashes the number of its ground combat maneuver brigades, it ignores the balanced combined arms concept. The Army has grown to include 13 active-duty combat aviation brigades (CABs), each with around 2700 soldiers and over 100 helicopters of various types. There are also eight CABs in the National Guard.

The Army has not announced plans to deactivate any of these expensive brigades, despite a shortage of helicopters. In contrast, the Army began activation its 13th brigade this past summer at Fort Carson, soon after it announced the deactivation of 10 combat maneuver brigades! The Army's basic structure calls for one CAB per division, so the Army doesn't need 13 CABs for its remaining divisions.

The army could retain the independent CAB in Germany to support NATO and rapid deployments, but should deactivate four CABs. This allows hundreds more positions to be shed from the training pipeline and depot maintenance. This also ensures an adequate inventory of helicopters for the remaining nine active-duty CABs and eight National Guard CABs.

Carlton Meyer on 02/18/2014 at 22:39

FWIW, this is probably true. 159 guys currently deployed in Afghanistan are being to told expect dissolution shortly after returning from their tour.

Carson is often thrown around as a possible victim, although nothing is in writing yet. No idea where the third casualty might come from.

What's the rule regarding time on station for these guys if they have to move from 159? Is the dissolution a waiver?