Seattle bad news

Eyewitness is saying that the helicopter landed on the rooftop pad, sat there for 1-2 minutes and then took off again. When it took off it was making "unusual pitch (sounds) and having trouble controlling". I think it's possible that they suffered a hydraulic failure. I don't know what model AS350 it is but it's possible it's a single hyd (belt driven version).

One thing for sure is that this is going to cause a mess of regulatory pressure on helicopters operations. I hope HAI steps in quickly.

RIP.

• Like 1

The mayor is already talking about reviewing the rules on helipads in the city before they have even loaded the bodies. The absurdity of government continues. I watched some of the live coverage, a construction worker said the pilot (Gary Pfizner as was just announced) got out without shutting down and went to check on something before leaving on the fatal flight. After years in LE, everyone knows when you conduct interviews that 7 people have seen 5 different things happen. I also heard another guy state that the helicopter came down sideways, but it was flying under power the whole time...

• Like 1

Eyewitness is saying that the helicopter landed on the rooftop pad, sat there for 1-2 minutes and then took off again. When it took off it was making "unusual pitch (sounds) and having trouble controlling". I think it's possible that they suffered a hydraulic failure. I don't know what model AS350 it is but it's possible it's a single hyd (belt driven version).

One thing for sure is that this is going to cause a mess of regulatory pressure on helicopters operations. I hope HAI steps in quickly.

RIP.

B2

I can only recall one accident eyewitness account mentioning bystanders helping a crash victim-Talihina, OK. Lots of cell phone pictures and videos.

We have become viewers instead of doers.

Edited by Wally

I can only recall one accident eyewitness account mentioning bystanders helping a crash victim-Talihina, OK. Lots of cell phone pictures and videos.

We have become viewers instead of doers.

Agreed Wally, it's a sad state of affairs when people would rather catch cell phone footage in the hope they get their 15 minutes of fame than actually step into the danger zone to help their fellow man. No one apparently even attempted to see if anyone was in the maroon Saturn until he climbed out on fire by himself. Makes me sick, but that is the old cop in me. We were used to running toward the danger, not standing at a distance with a cell phone in our hands.

Apparently their usual ship was a 407 that was in for service.

Well guys, this one was close to home. I cut my flying teeth in Seattle and my husband flew news for years, most recently for KING5 (a retired program just as of January). We know all of these guys and the area and ops so well, this really hit us deep. Seattle has had incredibly long term, stable ENG programs, it really is a family in and of itself. The entire city is deeply entrenched in aviation, both commercial and GA. My heart hurts for everyone there now.

• Like 8

Well guys, this one was close to home. I cut my flying teeth in Seattle and my husband flew news for years, most recently for KING5 (a retired program just as of January). We know all of these guys and the area and ops so well, this really hit us deep. Seattle has had incredibly long term, stable ENG programs, it really is a family in and of itself. The entire city is deeply entrenched in aviation, both commercial and GA. My heart hurts for everyone there now.

Thought of you and B immediately yesterday. I know how close he was to everyone in that circle, yourself included.

I never met Gary but this one still hits close to home for me too. As pilots we see fatal incident reports all too often, but when it happens in your back yard you're forced to stop and think about it in an entirely different way. It's a privileged fraternity and we're all connected in one way or another, no matter what application of flying we're involved in.

Thoughts on the victims as well as you, B, and everyone else at KBFI. Fly safe...

Something I made up the day of the crash if you feel so inclined to use it as a profile pic on FB or similar, kind of like a virtual band on your badge like we used to use when an officer was down.

Just FYI that is not the helicopter that went down yesterday.

• Like 1

I'm clear on that, was just using it as a reference point being that it was the old King5 Astar.

Yeah, sorry, it's a nice gesture but it just seems a bit inaccurate and odd to me.

King 5 had nothing to do with the accident and their old ship wasn't the one that went down.

• Like 1

LINKS:

Investigators locate video footage of fatal helicopter crash

NTSB: Number of scenarios under review for chopper crash

Investigators also took samples of the railing around the KOMO rooftop helipad. Hogenson says the samples will be sent to a materials lab in Washington, D.C. for analysis.

At a secure hangar in Auburn, south of Seattle, the work of reconstructing the helicopter from its charred wreckage continues.

Edited by iChris